USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:05:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Just a quick question, Why no brow?  (Read 32213 times)
Teampanther
Rookie

« on: February 17, 2011, 02:29:58 AM »

Why is it against the rules to run a brow on a quarter midget? I know they say no windshields but when you have a driver that sits straight up the sun can become an issue. If its made of plastic how would it hurt anything?

If it ain't broke stop trying to fix it!!!!!
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »

I asked the same question last year, but not because of the sun.  I asked because my son really wants one on his car with his name on it so his car looks more like the bigger cars.  Here is what I was told:

If we allow them, do we just leave it open to whatever you want to put on the car or do we need to limit it to being 2" or 3" or 4" tall or whatever.  How about for chassis that are wider than others?

I kinda get it, but I also think it would be cool to let them have it.  As far as the sun goes, we just throw a row of tape across the top of his shield and taught him to lower his head until the tape blocks the sun.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Teampanther
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »

See the brow height would be an easy one. Limit it to 3" height really wouldn't matter. It would be sorta like how dirt tracks and pavement tracks police rear spoilers on their cars. Include it in pre tech and it would only take a quick second to throw a tape on it to measure the brow's height. I serious doubt a plastic brow is going to give advantage on a 1/20 size track. Thanks Scott for your reply.

streihawk8
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:40:56 PM »

What is a Brow?
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »

Its a brother from another mother!!!  LMAO
Teampanther
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »

Its the piece that runs across the top of where the windshield would be on sprint cars, midgets,street stocks, etc. Most put there last name across it.

Karnes29
Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »

Or they could put their feature win stickers across the front like the big cars.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »

On the quarter midgets there are several issues. The biggest is vision, not straight ahead but looking up as at a flagman. Then comes proper attachment issues.

Putting one on anything less than a W/F would be a big performance disadvantage anyhow.
26midgetracer
Rookie

USAC.25 series / Midgets

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:49 PM »

Ahh! common Man, what about downforce? LOL Wink

USAC .25  series -Midgets.
streihawk8
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »

oh a visor!.... lets see I started racing 1/4 midgets in 1961 thru 1970, my brother raced them from 72 thru 78, I raced midgets from 85 thru 2001 and my son has raced 1/4 midgets for 8 years. the sun has never really been a problem and I don't see where sitting straight up or laying over would make a difference. The biggest problem is some people would just tie wrap them on or velcro or some really lame or unsafe manner. if a car gets tipped it could peel the tie wraps off and the visor could possible injure the driver. Not worth it in my opinion. and its just my opinion!
Teampanther
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:04:54 PM »

I have thought about the saftey issue thats why I came up with a plastic brow instead of a sheet metal one. The plastic that I have in mind is about an 1/8" thick and is rather flexible. As far as seeing the flagman, most races are started atleast at our track coming out of turn 3 and we also run Raceceivers. I am so glad I joined this forum cause it seems no one else wants to even discuss it or anything at all. Glad to heard everyone's opinions.

clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »

Sorry for givin you so much crap panther...LOL. A few of the chassis guys around here played with a visor. There is so much cage size variation between car makes it gets difficult. Some cars with a small cage and a seat that holds the head forward you need to be a mile from the flagman to see him. 1/8'' plastic that is strong enough not to sag in the middle from heat in the summer could get sharpened pretty good on an edge during a roll over. If it came loose and got under the helmet, could be bad, seen a guy get killed one night that way in a big car.
 Why wont anybody else talk about it?Huh Crap we will. Welcome aboard!!!   
Teampanther
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 01:46:23 AM »

I have found that no one really wants to question some of the rules of the sanctioning bodies. I sent an email to the National Tech guy of the other series and still have not heard anything back. That was over a week ago. It seems like this Forum is really good for actually discussing these types of things.I can see your point about what if the visor comes loose but I have had an issue those darn dzus coming out of another car and several have hit my daughter in the visor of her helmet. I think the ones on the hood should be wired to the car to prevent that from happening.

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 03:11:39 AM »

It isn't like that over here panther!  If you have any questions ask here and normally you get an answer from someone within a day and if you want the official word just call the USAC office and ask for James. If he isn't available right then he will almost always call back within a couple days.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
KA34
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 08:11:25 PM »

We have run a visor for two years and at little 100 among other big races with no problem! Put em on the kids like them, make them feel like the big cars! Just my opinion
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: