USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:58:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rookie Graduation Question  (Read 22094 times)
Frito
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 08:06:04 PM »

Currently we are lucky to have atleast 5 good rookie drivers.  And they will only get better racing against eachother.  You will never get better by going out and spanking the competition week in and week out.  You will always have 2 or 3 drivers who are on the verge of running away with the rookie class and then they move up and the 2 or 3 that were chasing will be the chased.  Its a progression that will almost always repeat itself.  I don't feel like any of our rookies in Tampa are ready to move up until they can win and win week in and out.  Winning 3 races in a row does'nt mean they are ready.  As i said before they have to learn to win, lose and lose when winning and then they may be ready.  The handlers/parents know their kids and know when they should move them up.  I don't think any of us want to hold our kids back and by letting them "cherry pick" would be doing just that.  Again the rookies in Tampa are good and can benefit from eachother for months to come.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »

A driver that uses their head, obeys flags, passes clean, uses their brakes when needed and has a consistent line and comes in LAST place is better prepared to move up than someone that plows through the field hitting cars and walls not using their brakes when needed while holding the gas all the way down and winning races.

Winning races doesn’t mean squat if they are not comfortable, obeying flags and using their heads.  That’s about as bad as moving a kid into a 160 or WF when they haven’t yet mastered a 120 which is just asking for someone to get hurt.

You don’t see any martial art schools moving kids from white belt to black belt do you?  Of course not, they make sure the kid is prepared for the next level and is tested and evaluated before promoting them to the next small step.  They are stepping stones, take your time and take it one step at a time, after all, they cant race nascar for a few years so whats the rush?

racermom88
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »

We're focusing only on the drivers here. But what about the handlers? Some of us are completely new to racing, and the Rookie class is a perfect place for us to get to know the intricacies of car setup. The driver might be ready, but maybe not the handler. The whole team must be comfortable moving up. 

And let's not forget, the jump to the next level is a significant one. If there are any doubts about moving up, then you shouldn't.

As far as I'm concerned, winning isn't the primary objective in the Rookie class. It's about getting the basics down, learning to deal with traffic, learning to accept losses gracefully and to appreciate the good finishes. If my son doesn't get a single checkered flag, I'm okay with that, because I know he's improved exponentially. He's already a winner to us.

And most importantly, it's about friends and having fun. The bond our drivers are making in this class will be valuable in the future. We're very lucky to have a close-knit group here in Tampa ... win or lose. 
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »

I agree with you when you said rookie class is to learn the basics, but to many handlers keep there drivers in the class just because its a easy win. I still beleave the drivers will learn more and faster in a higher class 
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 03:36:48 AM »

I don't think there is any doubt that the driver will learn more faster in the higher classes, but if a driver isn't ready to move up they shouldn't and nobody should push a driver up just because they won a couple races.  As long as the decision to move up is made based on skill level, not on any other factors then it is the right decision.  I for one won't be moving my boy up until we are comfortable he is ready for it.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »

There is no "skill level" in rookie. The engines are resticted to the point that the drivers can give 100% attention to learnin the flags, lineup, driving a consistent line, getting signals from the pits, oh, wait no, that's not allowed. As soon as they have that down, move on. There is nothing to learn but bad habbits after that. There are good reasons you can't play t-ball till' your 12. Responding to challenges is a huge part of growing up.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »

Just keep safety in mind because it would be a bad idea to move a driver into Jr. Honda or Sr. Honda when they have an inconsistent or zig zaggy line and doesn’t know how to slow down or use their brakes when needed.

Just because lil Johnny can flat foot the car and get a checkered doesn’t mean he is ready to move on.  Speed isn’t everything in Rookie, there is much more to be accomplished.

Swartz
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »

I'll give you that, but, it amazes me that when you put 10 7 or 8 year olds on the track in cars that go 40 mph people are surprised if something gets torn up.

Just keep safety in mind because it would be a bad idea to move a driver into Jr. Honda or Sr. Honda when they have an inconsistent or zig zaggy line and doesn’t know how to slow down or use their brakes when needed.

Just because lil Johnny can flat foot the car and get a checkered doesn’t mean he is ready to move on.  Speed isn’t everything in Rookie, there is much more to be accomplished.

goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 11:42:42 AM »

I don’t mind getting torn up racing, its getting torn up unnecessarily because of something stupid that burns me up, like moving a driver up before "they" are ready.

Swartz
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

Yeah, like thak Carl Edwards kid. Blocking all the time.......:-)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: