USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:32:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Where to start?????? Lotsa help needed!!!!!!!  (Read 11600 times)
ICDUCKS
Rookie

« on: April 13, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

Im working in the Indianapolis area for a few months and found out about .25 midgets. My 6 year old son was here for 10 days to visit and we went to Mini Indy for Novice day. I dont know who was more excited him or me.
 Im thinkin' were gonna jump in with both feet!
We live in Western NY and there doesnt seem to be anything within about 3 hours of us but thats not gonna slow us down. I grew up workin on race cars from limited lates to late models. I havent been around it except for going to watch in 20 years.
 I'm gonna need lots of advise on used chassis and engines. What to look for and what to stay away from.
I already see I dont want to get caught up in the QMA and USAC battles. We are going to do this for family fun and spend some good times together.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chip
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:48:14 PM »

I would start by looking at the USAC and QMA classifieds as well as eBay.  Be careful on eBay though, some are cars that are out of date and have been in storage for years, most are recent, decent and up to date.  Post questions on the forums about the cars and I am sure people will send you a PM about the car and its condition.

I would check with someone that may know a bit about the chassis in question to find out about the history of the chassis, how it was maintained and if any repair work has been done and if so to what extent, you can even ask the chassis manufacturer.

It’s easier to start out in a chassis that the majority at your local track or local parts vendor supplies parts for because they can both help you with setup as well as when you need parts.

Good Luck and take your time and you’ll find one.

LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:59:34 PM »

chip, I would look at bullrider race cars.There good pcs. and located in PA.I have eagle and there out of dayton.You should get something close to you and bullriders seem to be ever where.Also be carefull what size car don't buy a car to big.Good luck.
ssssmoke
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:19:05 PM »

i would start attending as many races as possible and get to know someone at the track. my advice would be someone with fast cars. i would want to buy from someone like that as long as they are not ready to retire anytime soon, that way they can be on hand to help you along. make sure its someone you will not be competing against when you leave rookie classes, that could cost you in the long run. lol  parts are available online but a parts or chassis dealer at the track is plus. good luck
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »

Also Chip since you will be just starting, a must do is the Buckeye Indoor novice/rookie program next winter. This will really prepare your driver for the next outdoor season. 
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »

I would also encourage you to consider purchasing a car that is/has run with your local club. It will be an easier transition to purchase a car that is currently setup decently for the track you will be using it on.

We purchased a car setup for a flat track and now we race on a banked track and have had MAJOR pains with the transition.

PhilHeil
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:51:48 AM »

Im working in the Indianapolis area for a few months and found out about .25 midgets. My 6 year old son was here for 10 days to visit and we went to Mini Indy for Novice day. I dont know who was more excited him or me.
 Im thinkin' were gonna jump in with both feet!
We live in Western NY and there doesnt seem to be anything within about 3 hours of us but thats not gonna slow us down. I grew up workin on race cars from limited lates to late models. I havent been around it except for going to watch in 20 years.
 I'm gonna need lots of advise on used chassis and engines. What to look for and what to stay away from.
I already see I dont want to get caught up in the QMA and USAC battles. We are going to do this for family fun and spend some good times together.
 Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chip

Chip,

I am going to give you some advice that I wish someone would have given me when we started at Mini-Indy 4 years ago.  Do not jump in with 'both feet'!!!!!!  Take your time and do it right.

I jumped in with both feet when my son got started.  I bought a car that was OK, with a motor that stunk. 

Your driver is young.  You will not be racing for points at the Novice level.  Before you buy anything, stop by Mini-Indy for a couple of club races and talk to people.  Find out who has fast cars for sale.  I wish I had done that.

If you are going to run at Mini-Indy I would recommend a Stanley '07 Honda-Only car.  Those cars are darn near idiot proof.  Believe me, my son won the Senior Honda championship at Mini-Indy in 2007, no thanks to me.  It was all car and his ability to drive it.

I just sold both of mine but you might be able to find someone in the area that is selling one.  If you can get one hook up with Jason Thomas or Wes Spillers.  They are good guys that will help you out and they both know alot about Stanleys.  Another guy I would recommend is Josh Travelsted.  He has a young driver and knows Stanleys inside and out.

Ask around and find a good motor for sale.  You are better off paying a couple hundred extra for a good motor now then trying to sell a dog later and buy a new one.

Once again....ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!!!!  The majority of the people at Mini-Indy are good folks and will be glad to help you out.  That is the beauty of QM racing at the club level.

Most importantly enjoy the experience.  We loved our four years at Mini Indy and hope to get back soon to watch some racing.  Like much in life, it goes by too fast.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Phil Heil
513-373-5505
ICDUCKS
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »

I already like the way everynone is willing to help people out. Thank you for all of the advice so far.
Clouse what is the Buckeye novice/rookie program?
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:30:29 PM »

Chip, it happens during the Buckeye Indoor races starting usually the weekend before Thanksgiving and runs through the winter at the Ohio State fairgrounds. The novice/rookies sign in first and get an hour of classroom training in the morning with practice/instruction immediatly following. Then another hour of classroom in the afternoon with racing around 4pm. Kevin Feeny and Jack Compton done an excellent job this last year and its a place where tons of drivers get their first shot at a quarter midget, thats where we started and was the best thing we ever did.
ICDUCKS
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »

Thanks Clouse55
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: