USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:03:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Driver Safety  (Read 6010 times)
grandma13
Feature Winner

« on: February 19, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »

After years of watching various sports activities and many years as a member of an ER Trauma team, I can tell you that it is not easy to keep our children 100% safe.  Your child can be riding a bicycle and get hurt or just walking to school etc.  The one thing to remember, in my opinion, is to make sure all of the safety equipment is in tip top shape: Helmet, straps, gloves, driving suits etc.  Also I have watched the tendency to quickly upright a car that has flipped without supporting the neck first.  Always support the neck UNLESS you have a fire then get that child out ASAP.

Really those quarter midget cars seem to be very safe considering everything.  Last year one jumped the fence and landed upside down and another flipped numerous times sideways riding the wall and then there were numerous flips.  In all of those that I personally witnessed only one needed to be taken to the hospital and then was released after being checked.

One tendency with some drivers is the leaning outside of the car and many times I have seen them loosen those straps after on the track to be able to lean more.  Not good!

It is just not possible to 100% prevent accidents unless you cage them and none of us would ever do that.  So race away and check the equipment make sure it is tight and in good working condition then you have done everything you can to protect the child.
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »

This is coming from a person that told her son she was not going to watch her granddaughter race:]
ssssmoke
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »

grandkids always get there way. but also im glad my kid knows why the belts are to be snug. saying that strap em in, pull them gloves up over your elbows and floor it Grin
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: