USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:29:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A open letter of thanks  (Read 16264 times)
Racerrob
Rookie

« on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »

A.J. (my 11 year old) had a bad accident at the Columbus Indoor Quarter Midget races Saturday afternoon. He biked it coming out of 4, went over and hit the wall cage first, cracking his helmet and knocking him out briefly. When he continued to be disoriented the decision was made to call the ambulance and rescue personnel and cut him from the car and transport him to the hospital. He started to become oriented on the ride to the hospital (about 30 minutes later) and thankfully all X-rays and CT scans were negative. He will be wearing a C-collar for the next week for the whiplash and has been taking ibuprofen for the headache. The only time tears came from his eyes was when I told him the Quarter Midget was destroyed!!!

There are so many people I wish to thank for helping me and my son through this, I cannot begin to name them all. People who did not know me came and offered their help. A big thanks to the BQMRA, especially Liz and Dale, for the two gentlemen who held A.J.’s head immobile until help arrived, to the fire and rescue team who took every precaution in getting him out and to Ryan Stanley and another gentleman whose name I don’t know for loading up my stuff. The doctors and nurses at Childrens in Columbus were wonderful and also deserve my thanks.

A.J. can’t wait to get back in a quarter midget although mom thinks he should retire. I just feel blessed that things were not worse and for being able to participate in a sport with so many wonderful and caring people. God bless you all!!

Rob Hoffman
ctaylor
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »

Very glad to hear he is ok. 
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »

Thats good news Rob that everythings OK. Hope to see AJ back in the seat soon!!   
gadams
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:32:14 PM »

im glad to here he is doing ok, my family has been asking if i had any updates. I took your car and pit cart to Mr. Wrens tent, i figured it was the least i could do. Hope nothing was forgotten. My thoughts and rayers are still with A.J. and you for a speedy recovery.
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »

That great news, we'll continue to pray for A.J. and family.
ssssmoke
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »

rob, thats great news im glad to hear he is doing ok. do you need a car for the next indoor or are you gonna sit out? i can relate, my son had to be cut out of his car after a head on collision into the wall not so long ago, again he was not hurt until about one in the morning, after returning home from hospital, when i told him his .25 was destroyed. its a very heart breaking experience. god bless!
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:02:48 AM »

Glad to see he is ok.
Racerrob
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:26:13 PM »

We were going to sit out the final indoor anyway as I will be in Perris California with the Sprint Car. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts and prayers and I hope to be back to the races soon with A.J.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »

Hello Rob...glad to hear your son, AJ is doing good.  It sounds like everyone reacted exactly as they should and helped make sure AJs safety was the most important thing.

As a fairly new Junior Rookie dad, a story like this makes me wonder what I might be able to do to try to prevent a similar incident with my son, also named AJ.  If you wouldn't mind me asking, was the impact that cracked AJs helmet with a piece of the car or with the wall?  I have been planning to add a support to the top of my son's car so if/when he flips a bumper won't be able to get close to his head through the opening in the top of the car...so if there are any other changes that might help prevent something like what happened to your son, I would like to consider them at the same time.

Again, glad to hear everything worked out good for AJ!

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Racerrob
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »

I don't know if it was the cage or the wall that cracked the helmet. I will be placing some kind of padding on the cage and anywhere else the helmet might contact as a result of this accident.

Rob Hoffman
ctaylor
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:43:34 PM »

Rob please give this some thought. Lets say his body moved up 4 in. If you add 1/2 of padding to the top the cage his body will still move up 4 in but his head will stop 1/2 quicker (compressing his neck). Will this cause more injuries??? I do not know the answer.  I have seen some slow motion video of race car wrecks and shocks me how much the driver moves.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: