USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:01:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tires  (Read 29568 times)
ssssmoke
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »

i agree scott until you get to the heavier kids. some run out of adjustment as far as loosening the car up, and still fight biking issues.
MOC96
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 09:31:04 PM »

yeah Scott, i agree that it is usually setup. we have raced with kids like your boy and Cooper for years and never had any trouble. but we are experienced handlers with good, heads up drivers. some of these dad/kid combos aren't quite there yet. i guess i just liked the old Firestone days when an ill handling car just spun out or faded. but technology goes on and these cars get faster. so does the learning curve. i'm lucky though, i run a really tight car but my twelve year old is only 70 lbs. lol
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »

The driver was a light driver like ours in Lt. 160 so the heavy driver issue wouldnt have applied here.  I have heard that the larger drivers do battle with biking a bit more, then again I have seen many that dont bike at all even being larger kids.

Yea, the old spin out days and 1/2 price tire budget was very nice and I look forward to trying the new Hoosiers out...  Wink

Still waiting on seeing some race dates for local tracks, regionals and usac to see what series we plan on running in 09.  I know we want to run the dirt grands again as well as the usac nationals but unsure of what on a weekly basis.

ssssmoke
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »

i think everyone is holding their breath waiting on bqmra, but time is running out schedules need to be developing fast. i miss firestone also, so doesnt my bank acct.
IndyQMDad
Veteran

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »

I have a serious question about tires. We started in the sport after Vega was introduced, so we have used little else. Burris 33's or YFA's at the indoors, Hoosiers at Terre Haute, but mostly Vega on pavement. So, here is the question. With the introduction of Hoosier as the Spec tire in USAC will there be a significant advantage to running cut tires? And, if the tire is cut what will that do to the longevity? For the most part, people don't cut Vega tires, right? Some do, but from what I've seen it is a limited number of people. Is it possible that having Hoosier as a Spec tire (any Spec tire for that matter) could actually cost more? Let's assume that the cost of a right rear from each manufacturer is relatively the same. You don't have to cut the Vega to be competitive, but you do need to cut the Hoosier. So, tack on $20 to the cost of the RR. After the tire is cut the longevity goes away, so now we are replacing a $70 tire on a regular basis vs a $50 tire.

I am not bashing the Spec tire concept. I am really just trying to better understand cut tires. I've never had tires cut, so I don't have any experience with them. Just wondering if I'll need to have them cut for the USAC events and what that will do to tire life. Either way, we'll be members of QMA and USAC in 2009. See you at the races.

Thank you for your response. 

David
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

Having tires cut is an option that some will argue is needed, others do not.  Races are won on cut and uncut tires, same as with balancing the tires and wheels.  That’s another option that costs money.  Just like your motor, depends on how much you want to spend on your program, 400 box stock Honda or 1100, smoker shocks at 75 or Advance at 200 etc.

Everyone will argue about advantages and disadvantages, you just have to choose which ones will actually help you.

I have heard the same about not having to cut Vegas but cutting everything else.  I only have our Burris and Dunlap’s cut and balanced for indoors or the rumbles because the tracks are typically smoother where you would actually notice a smoother rolling tire.  Outdoors I never bothered because of the cost and how much racing you get out of tires outdoors.

Cutting doesn’t take alot of wear off, it just true’s the tires, takes out the lumps...lol

I have heard that Hoosier has made great improvements to their tires in the last year, maybe they won’t need it as much as older ones may have?

Swartz
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 02:59:44 PM »

The problem with Hoosiers, when we ran them, was repeatability. The tire rollout would change as much as 3/4 inch from tire to tire and they were still changing compounds about every time I bought a set it seemed like. Had to mount the tires and measure final size to gear the car and constantly adjusting setup after hot laps. The wear was good though.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »

I think cutting COULD be an option on tires that have already been run, done it all the time with stones. I think taking new ones and cutting them for advantages would be so slim you might as well pee in the wind. But thats just my view.    
Swartz
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »

Well crap! Now I have to calbrate my peeinthewind-O-meter.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »

Agree Swartz, we had to shrink and grow our Dunlaps and Hoosiers before to get the same size because they never were the same.

clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 08:06:07 PM »

I have heard from a few guys out west that are running now that the Vegas are becoming terrible on size and performance consistancy. I got to believe them because I had a couple 6.0's and 6.5's do the same thing. When you looked at the inner carcus they were different than most.

Scott are you runnin tomarrow or are you gonna be smart and stay in the house where its warm?
MOC96
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »

cut tires could work better at indoors but I've never bothered to do it. too many other variables in QM racing..weather, track temp, first lap pile up, tired driver who stayed up too late texting his girlfriend...usually the combination of a good car, good set up, smart driver and the tire of the week is enough to be competitive. i just like to see what the kids can do. we've all been beat by the kid on old tires who just pulled his car out of the back of dads pickup. gotta love it
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 10:53:41 PM »

Scotty is wrestling this weekend so we wont be there racing but I may swing by tomorrow night to help out if were done in time.  Just got back from there picking up Scotts car and it appears that many chose to stay warm.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: