USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:11:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: QMA Animal Rules vs USAC Animal Rules  (Read 25438 times)
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »

This will be our first "real" season competing in USAC. I have not renewed our QMA membership. What cracks me up is that from everything I have read gives me the impression that QMA will do ANYTHING to not follow what USAC has already accomplished to make this a better sport for the kids.

When we made the decision last year to race solely USAC events we knew a schedule, rules and could get time off of work. If I had waited, my son would have gotten the shaft since work schedules would have been set, budgeting for which motors to aquire and send up to be updated. I had all of this done by January..

I wish them all luck scrambling around at the last minute and expecting engine builders to do the same. I am sure they will all be happy with doing that!

Kris Walker
CPG Racing
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:22:17 AM »

Offset, we run a belt drive setup. I believe that there is less vibration because there is no chain slap. I really can not say for sure that it is any better than a chain set up, but it does run smoother and my hands stay cleaner. The disadvantage to the belt drive is the cost. It is much more costly than a chain set up. We have been hit pretty hard in the rear axle and have never lost a belt, I know if we were running a chain that it would have come off.
Dale Gross
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »

So what are other Pro's and Con's to the belt drive deal?

Where can we locate a set-up and what is a total cost to install?

Thanks!

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
Karnes29
Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »

Tony
Here is what i found, Hope it helps           

SC Customs.net

Steve
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:50 PM »

My bet is that QMA NBOD will adopt most of the current Animal specs because they are running out of time, some QMA clubs are already racing or are about to. If anyone remembers the QMA World Formula tech manual took forever and the NBOD has asked the same ones responsible for that fiasco to help with the Animal.

It appears QMA will mandate the use of the "scatter shield" on the Animals as they did on the World Formula. For weeks now Ziggy, QMA VP, has been offering his "race preped" Animals complete with the scatter shield. Another dime to squeeze out of the membership.   
CPG Racing
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »

Tony,  Drop me a email and I can share what info I have on the belt drives. We run they on 4 cars and have have good luck with them. They are not SC custom. I had them made.
d.gross@rcn.com
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 10:36:27 PM »

Is the belt drive setup lighter?  I am looking to shed 3-5# and maybe loosing the chain would accomplish that!  I am waiting for the SC pictures to download...they are HUGE pics! 

Can we run the belt drive in USAC rather then a chain? 
CPG Racing
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

I will weigh a set up today and let you know what it weighs. You can run a belt drive in USAC.
Dale
CPG Racing
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »

Kendall42,
The weight of the belt drive is 1298.6 grams. The weight of a standard chain systems was 995.4 grams. That was with a standard slip collar gear hub. If you through in a spring loaded quick change gear hub you are about the same weight as the belt drive. The belt drive is picking up weight because the engine gear is 1'' wide and the axle gears are 2'' wide. Sorry you will not loose any weight with the belt. Our kids are little so we were not trying to save weight. They just seem to run smoother and cleaner.
Dale Gross
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: