USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:55:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Impact helmets  (Read 13787 times)
dsracing77
Rookie

« on: February 12, 2011, 12:13:59 PM »

Just an FYI.  I just noticed the bulletins in owners garage about the impact dilemna.  It does not affect me, but I am sure it affects some who may have forgotten about the issue last year.  Would not want someone to show up to a race with unapproved equipment unknowingly.  So basically is it saying any impact youth helmets are now not USAC approved? I think everyone is looking for a clarification of what is  and what isn't approved.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »

The Draft and Vapor are the two models listed. I wonder if they're including the Mini Vapor in that. It won't have an effect on most teams, as the majority of Impact QM helmets are the Mini Champ model.
CSmotors66
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:15:46 PM »

After reading in the 2011 Rule book, there is not a thing about FIA approved suits, helmets, or gloves. It says snell and SFI approved. After also reading through the FIA file also listed in the bulletin only two Simpson helmets are on the approved list. This is FIA list is also for helmets approved or not approved in conjunction with the HANS device. I did not see G-force on the list either but not totally sure if they are manufactured under another name.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:41:41 PM by CSmotors66 » Logged
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »

Hey James, care to interject on this one? We've got races coming up quick and would hate for someone to end up in a bad way to go not having approved eqt.

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
Ezone
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »

I know that there was an issue with SFI & Impact way back when.  But that was all cleared up -- so there should be no surprise here..... Im not sure how , why or if this affects us.  Would be worse than a small deal for us.  We would need to come up with $1k or more to make the changes, that would have been sprung on us at the last minute with virtually no notice.

Leave it to the French ---
Torgesen Motorsports
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »

The rule book states this :Helmets- All participating drivers must wear a well fitted safety helmet
designed specifically for auto racing (SA designation) that meet or exceeds the
2000 or better Snell Foundation or SFI Foundation 24.1 youth spec helmet
specifications and are labeled as such. Helmets will be in good condition (no
exterior cracks, evidence of impact or deteriorating interior lining)Helmets will be
subject to inspection at each event by the Technical, Safety and/or medical
representative. Hair must be under the helmet or inside the drivers suit/jacket.
1. Visors/Face shields must be in the down position when on the racing
surface.
2. Clear, or amber, face shields must be worn after dark, or whenever track
lights are turned on.
 To me, that means if the helmet meets these standards and is not specifically excluded like the draft and the vapor, then it is legal. That is how im taking it.

Rob
USAC Developmental
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »

The USAC stand is if its SFI approved its good to go until further notice.
CSmotors66
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »

Thank you for the clarification.
ssssmoke
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »

we have been looking at high quality alpine star suits that are only fia approved, any chance of getting approved?   @ james   thanks
Slip-Tube
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »

According to the Impact website "The mini vapor and mini champ youth helmets are SFI SNELL K2010 24.1 approved (youth helmet standard) for QMA/WKA/NHRA/IKF use."

But if you look at the SFI website it doesn't list any of the impact products as SFI approved under the youth helmet section.  Undecided

I own a Mini Vapor and need to know if I need to purchase a new helmet right away... I only have one week to get a new helmet.

BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 12:06:33 AM »

So based on what I am seeing when I show up this weekend for the Buckeye Indoor MWT Thunder event w/ my Mini Vapor I'll good to go: Is that correct???

Also on the Impact suit deal, how do I tell if our suit is:

Impact Suit. Commercial name S-2, Homologation number RS.096.05

In inspecting it, all I can tell is it is a Black Impact suit w/ white piping and is SFI 3-2A/5. I got nothing else on it.

Feedback is appreciated. 

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
Slip-Tube
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »

Word from James S. is that the Mini Vapor is good to go. 

I have nothing on the suit.  If it is SFI it is OK!
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: