March 28, 2024, 10:49:25 AM
USAC Racing Forum

Username
Password
Don't have an account? Register now, it's free!

Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Author Topic: Growing the Series Ford Focus/ Young Guns  (Read 12536 times)
SAKMotorsports
Rookie

« on: January 31, 2011, 02:15:59 PM »

If they are trying to grow the series of the Young Guns Ford Focus and the regular Ford Focus midget divisions, then why doesn't USAC pay something, so that teams can at least have something to put back into their racing funds. It is my understanding that only the Champion in the Young Gun series get a $1,000.00 savings bond, and only the top three in the Ford Focus series get paid; if this is the case why would I want to spend, money for the car, safety equipment and weekly fees, not to mention tire bill, or maintenance to maintain the car, for possiblely nothing in return. I can go run a 600 and at least get something in return, so they can't say it's because of the age of the drivers either...

Just my $.02 Angry
idhale
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

you are correct it is tough racing for nothing, we survived our Jr FF season winning 2 championships with zero prize money then last year the Jr FF champions did recieve $ for first place, also there was no entry fee which helps a little bit,

2010 season we ran full FF finished 2nd in dirt points and 4th overall western but no prize money again only 1st place on dirt and top 3 overall got some money back,they do have alot of divisions probably too many, FF entry is only $20 per race, engines last a long time and tires last pretty good,

on the good side once you run full FF you can leave every race with some money, we always had checks ranging from $100 - $200 and didnt win any but ran up front all season,

it is a great racing series for younger drivers or teams on a tight budget, our racing on the west coast is extremely exciting on dirt and pavement, we run a $10K combo car and change it over alot,

we have been very happy running the series until this years last minute rule changes on shocks,we can race against $40k cars but cant add a good cockpit adjust shock package now,
just my opinion, good luck!
SAKMotorsports
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:35:13 PM »

So you had no entry fee; well we do, and not to mention they rent a car out, with a different person in the car just about each week; the bad part about this is, they are getting their money, but who is paying for the wrecks that person causes, that is right we are, so as long as they get their money then everything is suppose to be okay.

I am all for growing the series, but they need to help us out as well, which I don't see them (USAC) doing here in the Mid-West; sounds like they were; where you are racing, seems like it is out west, if I am not mistaken here; and that is why I believe the series is doing so much better out there as well.
JP1114Racing
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:52:59 AM »

As a total outsider here is my two cents. If someone is interested in getting into racing the Focus series would be a great option based on everything I have seen since the operating costs are so manageable compared to other options that are out there.

This is not going to be popular, but if you want to grow the series renting cars is one of the best ways to do it.  A good example of this philosophy is skydiving, which has seen a large increase in participation over the last 5 years.  This increase is due in large part to the option of tandem skydiving.  People are willing to pay $200+ for their initial skydive this way because they know they can trust the people that are working with and teaching them.  Those that enjoy it can then purchase their own gear and jump for as little as $15 each time.  This is very similar to the rental approach for the Focus cars.

If I were renting a car I would feel terrible if I caused damage to someone else, but unless it is on purpose isn't that an unfortunate part of racing?  Those that choose to go this route should be greeted with open arms by the other competitors.  Show them that you are happy they are there supporting the sport you enjoy, encourage them and help them to feel comfortable and they just might help grow the class, and help you to keep racing.

clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »

Rent a rides are a necessity to expose people to the sport and to help expand it but not for the overall long term health. People should be encouraged to purchase their own equipment and learn about all aspects of it, not just paying for a ride. The teams that have an invested interest will always be there, those renting rides will quickly move on when the next great thing comes around. The days are almost long gone of a driver landing a ride on nothing but talent, its ending up as "how much can you bring to the table".   
John77
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:28:12 AM »

The Ford Mustang has always been a symbol of pride and power and it has created a lasting legacy for Ford. Mustang has always been popular among young men, and since its introduction several decades ago it has gone on the longest production run for any car ever manufactured in the United States. Part of what makes this car so legendary is that it so easy to modify, upgrade and fix due to its easily available car parts.

Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: