USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:34:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Possible New Member to USAC  (Read 35253 times)
Bandit
Rookie

« on: August 31, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »

I attended a race this past weekend at a local track in Atlanta. I have a 5 year old son whom is wanting to race these type of cars. My question is, during tech there was a car that had what they called a jet about 4 turns loose and a few other things I heard that was wrong. How do I go about getting a set of rules so I can study them before I start out in what they told me was Jr. Rookie so I do not get into this situation and get suspended for 30 days right out of the box. I know a little about racing but the Honda engines I need to get more knowledge on. Can someone direct me to the rules? Is there a particular engine builder that someone could recommend and car?

Bandit Racing
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »

You can find all the rules here: http://www.usacracing.com/quarter_midgets/garage_qm

Best of luck to you and let us know if you have any additional questions.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:28:22 AM »

Bandit Racing,   As far as a car goes I would talk to some of the members at your club and see what brand they are running, what is fast and who you feel will help you learn the setup for that car. There are a lot of good people out there that can and will mentor you. We really like the Stanley race cars as they have been very good to us and we find them easy to setup as we go from track to track.

Engines: I would also talk to people within your club. Buying a used engine from a club member that is retiring is a good start. Again talking to the right people can really help you here. There are many good engine builders within the sport. You should also look into and ask about the Briggs Animal platform. If you buy or are looking at a used engine it never hurts to have your local tech guy look it over for you. The tech guys are there to help you and to keep it fair. Most tech guys get no pleasure out of DQ'ing any child. If you are not sure about anything be sure to consult them. We use Baker Racing engines for our Honda and Briggs platforms and Shorty for our Deco engines.

Welcome to QM racing and make sure to enjoy the time with your child.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
Bandit
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »

Thanks all for the information. Look forward to enjoying the time with my son and the rest of the families that race at MAQMA. What is the Animal engine and what age do you have to be to race it?

Bandit Racing
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:58 AM »

Briggs & Stratton Animal was introduced to USAC .25 this year. It gives drivers in the 5-8 age group to be able to race another class, and get more seat time. The kids love it since it's faster than the Junior Honda.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »

Animal engines are purpose built racing engines from Briggs & Stratton.  They have been used in the Karting world for many years and are a stable and reliable engine platform.  There are two Animal classes in Quarter Midgets, Junior and Senior.  Like Lyra said Junior give kids 5 - 8 another great way to get seat time and the Senior class is for kids 9 until they age out of the sport.  If this season is any indication the two Animal classes will quickly become some of the most competitive classes in the sport.  Also like Lyra said the kids love driving them because they are quicker and faster than the Honda engines.

Nashville is only a 9 hour drive from Tampa...I wonder if a few of the Animal drivers from here could make one of the events still on the calendar up there this year...hmmmm.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Bandit
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »

Is there a Rookie class for the Animal? I do not see it in the rules I have been reading. I also heard there is another track nearby MAQMA, somewhere in Cumming, GA. Is this also a place that ya'll race at?

Bandit Racing
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:19:44 PM »

No. You'll have to graduate from Rookie to compete in Animal classes. Can't remember where, but I saw it being referred to as "Rookie Animal." but that's just Junior Animal.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »

And there is a track in Cumming, Ga., but it's a QMA track, so it'll require a QMA membership separate from USAC to race there.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Bandit
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »

What is the difference in USAC and QMA? Are the rules the same? I do not want to have to know two different set of rules just to let my 5 year old race, maybe later, but not just starting out, but I do want to race and teach him that rules are made and we have to go by them or get in trouble like the other car did last weekend.

Bandit Racing
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »

Racing is similar, with some differences. Usually nothing major. As a handler, you'll have to be more involved in judging in QMA. Tech rules can be different also (Thailand Honda motors are allowed in QMA, not USAC.)

Here's a previous thread you might be interested in.

http://www.usacracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,1867.0.html

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Bandit
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »

I read some of the articles. It appears that from what I read, it all boils down to which organization really puts it foot down and applies the rules, versus which one lets it members tell them what to do. I did like some of the articles about it is all about having fun, that is what we are looking for. I guess we will find the other club and see how they handle their race days and go from there. We look to start practicing in two weeks in hopes of going thru a training that someone said we would have to do before racing. I guess I need to find out if the other organization does the same before you race too. Plan on buying a used car next week.

Bandit Racing
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »

Exciting. Good luck. We're a member of both USAC and QMA in Florida. Love them both. Just pay attention to the rule differences, and no problem.

You should talk to Mark Roland up there. His son Will runs mostly Cumming, but he also races USAC events. He'd be a perfect person to give you insight on both.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »

The Metro Atlanta club is located in Braselton, GA and they are a USAC track.  The track in Cumming is currently affiliated with QMA, but they took a long hard look at USAC last year, so before you join QMA just to race there you might want to reach out to Mark Mackie over there about it since he is the Novice director.  If they are considering it again this year, it would be a shame to see you spend the money and then they switch and you don't have another QMA track around, except for Huntsville.

According to the rulebook, you can run the rookie class with an Animal.  I am sure they allow it because it would be a waste of money to purchase a Honda for only a few races as a Rookie.

The rules are pretty close at this point, but I am sure as time goes by the rulebooks will be getting further and further apart.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »

Bandit
E mail me or send me a  message. My son races Jr Honda at MAQMA, and we have ran at Cumming. I would be glad to help you , etc and also what to look at when looking for a car.

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: