USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Raceceiver - QMA's view  (Read 29464 times)
MMRAracer
Rookie

« on: June 25, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »

I would like to get the opinions of some of the USAC .25 handlers and drivers on the use of raceceivers for Quarter Midget racing. The QMA publicity director - yeah publicity director has his opinion as does the tech director....see their quotes below. We continue to copy or try to copy most of what USAC is doing...I.E. judging...animal engines...etc. so why must we stop doing that with the raceceivers? I have heard nothing but good things about the use of them.

Rich (Tisone - Publicity Director) said he feels that they take away from a driver’s visual skills. Rusty (Barnard - Tech Director)feels that there are more cons than pros on the use of them.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:40:34 PM »

Haven't seen any cons using them so far.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »

We have moved on to Bandoleros (more room inside car - bigger track) and Inex uses Raceivers. My son appears to appreciate as do the fans that see the cars line up in one lap versus 20 in a QM race. I do think the "Yellow-Yellow-Yellows out" in their ear is only a good thing.
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »

As soon as QMA figures out how to make a buck off of them they will make them mandatory.  I can not think of any cons to using them, I know they have saved our car and wallet quite a few times by letting my driver know that the yellow is out. These kids are running 6 second laps and do not always have enough time to react when they come around the turn and have only visual reference of an accident. 
ssssmoke
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »

they are used at eldora speedway, enough said.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:39:47 PM »

I've heard one con: Driver can't hear a car approaching with the ears plugged up.

But from our experience, I think it's a good idea. We've raced with and without. Raceiver has helped reduce wasted time when lining up, and when the caution is out, the warning is heard immediately. You don't have to rely on kids seeing yellow flags/lights. It also helps when the driver can hear the calls made.

Also great for training. Get a walkie talkie with one of the frequencies, and you can coach your driver. (Don't do this on race days, tho!)

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
ssssmoke
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »

if driver does not like ear plugs i recommend the speakers in the helmet. i think they are around 40.00 dollars, and worth every penny. no more duck tape on ears!!!! you can get these from dale hall (hall electronics). who is at most big events or larry ebert. dale will probably chime in with more info. it should help with hearing the other cars over the plugs.
A and J Racing
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »

I didn't realize there were ever any cons to safety!!!

Bottom line is they save time with line ups, they save cars and equipment by allowing kids to be warned of an incident ahead of time, and they make racing safer for the kids.

It's the best money we have ever spent in quarter midget racing.
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »

"Rich (Tisone - Publicity Director) said he feels that they take away from a driver"s visual skills.
Rusty (Barnard - Tech Director) feels that there are more cons than pros on the use of them."

This is what happens when soccer moms and dads are allowed to make decisions in a racing organization. Maybe if one of them actually had any type of racing (driving) experiance they would understand the benefits of raceivers.

Before QMA can mandate the use of raceivers first a commitee will be formed to study the use. It will contain a few that no nothing about them and really dont care, and a few that will have an interest, whether themselves or an aquaintance, on making a few dollars on the sale of them. Then if decided they need to use them, a couple paragraph rule will be wrote deeming how someone may get dq'd on the improper wearing, placement, use, etc. etc. etc. that we have all seen before. (example - 120 flywheel key)

Oh wait, they wont now since they have just read it on the USAC forum. Just like removing the Thai head verbage from their tech manual just days after being brought to attention on here. LMAO!!!!       
GAQMRacers
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:47:58 PM »

Does anyone question having to buy a seat belt?Huh The raceceiver is a piece of safety equipment. We have raced locally with and without it and would not race without it again!! What other form of racing doesn't have at a minimum one way communication with the driver??? My driver has complained about the earphones and the tape, blah, blah, blah. I bought him one of those earphones that hook over your ear so we no longer have to use the tape. When he can race without the use of seat belts I will allow him to race without a raceceiver. He is too valuable to me!!!!
gruntmore
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:14:11 AM »

Personally I could not wait till our club went to the recievers.  As said before its a safety thing how could you not want  your child to be as safe as possible.  I understand the point that was made about taking away from thier visual skills but I dont think sprint cup drivers could race like they do without a spotter.  We also had problems with the I-pod ear buds so I finally got him some molded ear buds and we have not had any discomfort or problems since. 
pointtwofive
Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »

The raceceiver in .25 Midgets is the best thing since sliced bread.
As far as not hearing the other cars with the earbuds in, my driver just puts one in her right ear and that seems to work.

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »

I think the raceivers are one of the best changes to the sport I have seen in our short time involved with it.  It makes the race days go so much faster because it only takes one or two laps to lineup and there is no doubt it makes it much safer for the kids.

As for them hearing the other cars, we recently bought AJ a set of Sony ear buds that hang on his ears and he said now he can hear other cars behind him or next to him.  They were $20 at Walmart over near the Disney complex last week.  Not to mention no more taping them into his ears.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
ezoner
Veteran

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »

The only issue we had was that the driver initially relied too much on the information and needed to be looking ahead further.   Once that was solved.... they work well..... biggest benefit is line-ups.   I think things happen too fast on the track to have much value for saftey.  There is some, but I would not overstate it.  The driver needs to be alert.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »

Here in Tampa we have the flagger and lights at the start finish line and a set of lights near the end of the back stretch.  A driver that is at the start finish line when a car spins on the back stretch has to wait until they are coming out of turn two to see the yellow light, which means they are pretty much on top of the spun car at that point.  Now with Raceivers they hear, "Yellow, Yellow, Yellow" in their ears and are already slowed down before they get to the back stretch.  That isn't overstated and there is no arguing it is much safer now with the Raceivers.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: