USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:42:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animal motor slippage  (Read 9558 times)
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« on: March 30, 2010, 08:56:57 PM »

Hey all, had a great time running the Junior Animal in NC this weekend. So cool to see 10 cars on the track at one time, instead of our 4 at home.

So got a question: I had some issues with motor slippage despite tightening it down pretty good. Never had issues at the home track in Tampa. Does it vibrate more on concrete?

Is there a trick to getting these Animal motors to stay put? Are there any good motor plates I should look at? Ours mount is welded onto the chassis, so I'm not sure I have too many options. Should I be using something besides the regular engine bolts and flange nuts with washer?

Thanks

P.S. speaking of Junior Animal, we caught the spectacular flip by A.J. Freitas in the heat race. It's a pretty cool clip, but scary. Glad A.J. was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYXj_4JS30A
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:18:48 AM by CrewChief6 » Logged

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »

I have not heard nor have I had any trouble with the Animal slipping. I think your problem may be in the washers. I prefer to use serrated flanged nuts - like you use on your wheels.

Eric

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 08:20:27 AM »

Thanks Eric, I do have serrated flange nuts, but use a washer between that and motor plate. Is that the way to go or just go directly onto the plate?

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:20 AM »

I would remove the washers and give it a try. If it was me I would NOT be using the washers. Good Luck. Are you going to Atlanta?

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »

Really want to, but a friend is getting married that weekend, so we have to skip. We'll be doing the East Coast Challenge, though. You guys doing that series? Good luck at MA. Sounds like a fun track to run.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »

I agree with Eric, I would lose the washers and I bet that will solve the problem.  If it is still happening after that, maybe check to see that the serrated nuts still are pretty fresh so they get a good bite.  If they need replaced, NorthernTool carries them in Grade-5 for about a dollar for 4 or 5.

I still can't believe she didn't flinch in the video when the car was coming right at her.  I guess we will have to record our own races in Metro Atlanta.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
tarpondawg
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:54:08 PM »

Make sure you are getting the nuts tight. If your impact is weak or batteries old the nuts wont bite. I tighten mine up w/the impact then hand tighten with ratchet.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »

Good point. Thanks Wayne.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: