USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:07:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Honda Engines  (Read 27711 times)
DonRector
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »

I have been prepping Honda engines for QM racing for the past ten years. Five years ago I began the development of a Jr. Half engine. My first & second attempt was with B&S Animals. These were using the version 1 blocks. In both cases I blew the cylinder barrel off the block. Not a good thing. I then switched to Honda and started what turned out to be a two year development program. The failures no longer were the OEM parts, but rather the aftermarket parts. Today a great combination of parts are available to build a competitive Jr. Half engine, but still more costly than I would like. Since that time B&S, through their racing program, has created the strongest 4-stroke engine platform available for small engine racing. Starting today, there is no question I would go with the Briggs & Stratton platform, but not the one being sold to power lawn mowers at water pumps. There are some basic commonalities between the production engine, but they are truly two different platforms.

I believe B&S could supply the QM racing community engines to fulfill classes from Jr. Novice to W/F or AA. I also believe the Half class should be left alone and be the one true race what you brung class. BTW, QMA NTD would like to see the Half class be committed to the W/F platform, but that is so he can get rid of the W/F class. As for the reduction unit, B&S has one and if a sanctioning body was to commit to B&S as a platform, they would complete the engineering needed to allow the B&S reduction unit to work with the Animal engine.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »

"I believe B&S could supply the QM racing community engines to fulfill classes from Jr. Novice to W/F or AA. I also believe the Half class should be left alone and be the one true race what you brung class. BTW, QMA NTD would like to see the Half class be committed to the W/F platform, but that is so he can get rid of the W/F class."

I agree completely Don, good post.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: