USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:05:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Animal jr class  (Read 8775 times)
crew chief
Veteran

« on: December 30, 2009, 11:45:37 AM »

Now that some of you have raced the animal what are your feelings and how does it stand up to a stocker and a 160 . Im just trying to get a fill before we buy a animal
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »

We love it. We have only ran it one time, but lap times were comparable to stockers, heck of a lot easier to start indoors. As far as a 160 not sure on that
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 04:47:08 PM »

Definitely liking it. It has the feel of a Stocker w/o the typical Deco hassles. Mechanically similar to a Honda including wiring (simple) and maint is even less than a Honda. I'm told one set of valve springs for a season. Thus far been runing about 2.5 tenths faster than our Jr Honda in the first two Buckeye Indoor Winternational events. It seems as though our car counts will be increasing starting w/ the next event as well.

My only concern is the "mod's" that are allowed per the tech manual. That is the kind of stuff that drives the cost up. We've already seen it w/ at least one builder charging $300 more than we had been told this summer. However, even that cost is a far cry from what you'll be paying for w/ a Stocker and once again less hassle and maint.

It's got my vote thus far.   

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »

We are working on ordering an Animal engine right now so we can have AJ run it from the start of the season.

I am hesitant to buy into the whole one set of valve springs for a whole season thing at this point, but we will see.  I just setup a valve spring tester so we can start testing our valve springs to see when they start to degrade.  Will be interesting to see the results from that...  I am just as interested to see the results of testing the valve springs in our Jr Honda cars too.

As far as the Mods go, I see why they are doing that.  I know people that don't have to worry about the funding so they purchased 20 Honda engines and measured/weighed each part then took the best of each to build their engines.  That is huge investment that most teams can't afford, so if allowing some minor machine work levels the field for only a few hundred dollars, then I can live with it.  As long as it is something that is closely monitored through the Tech process to make sure people aren't taking it too far.

Does anyone have any word on when/where we can get the restrictors for the Jr class?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »

Been told a set of plates come w/ the engine- there are approx 8 of them or so I believe.

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 01:35:19 PM »

Any one able to give a good gear for jr animal at the indoor race
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:57:39 PM »

Try running the same gear you would in your Jr. Honda, it will get you close
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:07:38 AM by Barr » Logged
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Does anyone know if there will be a class at all the National events for the Jr. Animal class? I sure hope so, that stocker like to of killed me last year. Wanted, fresh set of young legs for this year, LOL.

Thanks,
Mike
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: