USAC Racing Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:37:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Kurtis Kraft quarter midget  (Read 20310 times)
oldracer
Rookie

« on: November 04, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »

I recently purchased a late 50"s, early 60's Kurtis Kraft quarter midget with plans on restoring it. I actually drove quarter midgets at the Mac O Chee track (Beauty Bowl) in the late 1950's and early 60's, starting out in a homebuilt car, then moving up to a Moss MidJet, then a Kurtis Kraft. If there is any one out there with knowledge of these cars, I would apprecaite the help before I actually start the restoration. Currently has an old Briggs, but that will be changed back to a contintental. Would appreciate any advise, literature or pictures of cars from that era to help me out. Can be reached at (937)843-5598, ask for Curt or pics can be mailed to PO Box 15, Lakeview, OH 43331.
Thanks for all your help, hope to have the car ready for the MacOChee Hall of Fame Induction next summer.
jwalk
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »

I believe Greg Ley from the Cambridge area who is also a Buckeye member recently purchased a Curtis equipped with a cont. engine. If memory serves me right he said it was complete and close to race ready. Not sure of the year though.
IndyQMDad
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »

You may find this link helpful. Enjoy.

http://www.vintagequartermidget.com/

David
Performance Racing Products Inc
15204 Cumberland Rd
Noblesville, IN 46060
888-917-4777
www.freemanracing.com
www.4prp.com

David
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »

I remember you driving your Moss.  I raced a Kurtis!

There is no doubt in my mind that you have a Kurtis 500 chassis built about 1958.  The tail, front bumber, friction shocks, nerf bars tell the story.  Someone has replaced the front body with the "new-Kurtis" style of 1960 (like Richard Sohji, Ronnie Stewart, Chris Yoder).  The steering wheel has also been changed and they may have hacked away some of the cowl near the steering wheel.     

I have pictures of both but I dont know how to attach to this message.  Tell me how it I can. 
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: