USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:49:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Columbus Indoor Winternationals – Why such a hotbed of “Talent”?  (Read 37208 times)
Live Strong
Rookie

« on: October 27, 2009, 09:16:45 AM »

There is a direct correlation between the kids/teams that race this series and the top performers at the big events nationally. As I researched quarter midget drivers I also found that many drivers from around the country list “Columbus Indoors” as their favorite track. As a beginner in the sport three years ago I was told by many well respected handlers and chassis builders, “if you really want to improve quickly to the highest levels you need to race the indoor series”

Racing in this old building in sub-freezing temperatures is not what I would have predicted kids would have chosen as their favorite! Our first trip there, just out of novice, we were overwhelmed and a bit discouraged. The ever changing track conditions and level of completion was challenging, we improved but did not win. The following outdoor season we won 27 A-Mains, three championships, set two track records and numerous fast times. Where did this come from? Was this really a result of racing the indoor series?

I recently read a book called the “Talent Code” and the similarities between the talent hotbeds from around the world in all different types of sports and arts is strikingly similar to that dirty cold building in Columbus Ohio… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7QNxXbziA

I’m interested in your thoughts on why the kids/teams that race this series seem to do so well nationally…

- Deep practice at its best against the best – both drivers and handlers?
- Condensed “National Championship/Grands” style environment perfectly timed for learning?
- Are the teams that race there the dedicated teams that want to improve, seeking the best competition?

ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »

i think seat time has some to do with it. no banking and loose at first. no banking and tight at the end. you have got to pay attention and "chase" the track to keep the right set up under the car. poles in the apex driver must race "heads up". all that and more make both driver and handler better. also mac-o-chee is another track if you can get a hold of it the other tracks seem easier. same as indoors.
Rich Cagle
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 07:08:37 PM »

This is Caleb. You know these kids are the best in the country and have the best equipment, if you make a mistake you will get passed. So you must always be on your game. The lights, the poles, the big dark walls, there is no time for messing around. It takes focus. Focus Mr. Garner focus

It's great for learning new things, tricks, from other drivers who you don't race with much. I learned how to pass better by following Cayden Lapcevich, Kris Lederer and Ross Rankine. After racing indoors the outdoor racing seems easier. Indoors is like running a grands every two weeks. These 1st place trophies mean mean a lot - hard to get.

see you in a few weeks, Caleb Cagle
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:20:01 AM »

I would have to agree. It's probably a mixture of the conditions and the level competition. It really makes kids step up their game and the talent pool of experienced drivers give kids more to watch and learn from.

I saw this in a small scale at the Kokomo regional. Our driver had just moved out of Rookie and was learning pretty quick. But we got to that race and because of an accident in the heat and DOT's in the B we didn't make the A. We were sure to have him sit and watch the Sr.Honda A-Main closely and you could see an improvement the next race.

The track conditions are the same way. Our driver seemed to pick up speed after running on the dirt for the first time. Even between the two A-mains on dirt he seemed to learn a lot during the first one, applied it to the next one and ended up winning. I would imagine once you've ran on cold pavement or a paper clip shaped dirt track it makes running a normal configuration and conditions seem like a walk in the park.
twofastanditshows
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »

I had to laugh when reading this. My son actually hauled out his old racing videos last night and was watching a Buckeye Indoor race from 2006, so he would have just moved up into Sr. Honda. We watched his heat race, analyzed his line and passing, and other driver's styles. At the end of the race, he turned to me and said "I love Columbus Indoor. It's my favorite track." We have not raced there since 2006, but had raced there every indoor since 2000 through the 2006 season. I feel like I have to warn his dad - I think he wants to go back. I think it's a great place to hone your driving skills because anything that can happen - will.  Roll Eyes. It's hard on the parents, though. And oh yeah - he won that race Grin.
badnews69
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »

it's cold, track sucks half the time ,gets tight in the groove, slick out, you can never find your drivers your dead freaking tired -cold and hungry from not buying those over $$$$$$$$$ concessions, kids are grumpy but they get the EXPERIANCE to run in the most of adverse conditions !!!!!!!!  IT'S AWESOME  Grin
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:25:04 PM by the12cars » Logged
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »

I'd have to second that one!

Pretty much every element is difficult to deal with at best. The days are long, etc. But when it's all done and your sitting there recouperating on Sunday afternoon.... the thoughts are nothing but man that was great!

See you all in a few weeks!

Hey, be sure check our website for more info. The new site was uploaded today:

www.bqmra.com

Cheers!

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:39:05 PM »

WILL THERE BE ANYONE SELLING TIRES THERE? ALSO WHAT IS A GOOD TIRE  AND GEAR TO RUN IN JR. HONDA AND SR. HONDA.
gass
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »

Whats a good gear to run in heavy 160 and heavy world formula
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »

While were telling gears how about jr stock
Live Strong
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:01:10 AM »

We start with our Mac-O-Chee setup for practice and adjust as necessary from there.
ssssmoke
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:03:18 AM »

tires will be available there. you can contact andy meyers from the mac o chee club to order and they will be available at the track. for honda classes we started on d20 the first race and then went to a35. {a30 last year}  sr. honda gear to start 35-30. or whatever you like at macochee.
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »

Mac-O-Chee club sells tires so you can place your order with me and I will have your tires waiting for you. E-mail amescontract@earthlink.net.

Thanks
Andy Myers.
wesracing
Veteran

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »

are hoosiers going to be the spec tire or can you run anything? thanks
Rich Cagle
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 08:52:09 PM »

There will be No Spec Tire
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print