USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:50:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: QUESTION FOR TBQMRA MEMBERS ABOUT YOUR TRACK AND TIRES  (Read 6138 times)
slowpoke
Rookie

« on: October 16, 2009, 10:05:28 PM »

I WAS LOOKING AT THE PICTURES ONLINE THAT WERE TAKEN AT YOUR TRACK AND I NOTICED THAT ALL OF THE RIGHT SIDE TIRES ON THE CARS HAD GROOVES IN THEM AND I WAS WONDERING IF THIS HELPS WITH SIDE BITE, IF SO DO YOU HAVE TO GROOVE THEM YOURSELVES OR ARE YOU BUYING THEM THIS WAY?

ALSO IT LOOKS AS IF YOUR TRACK HAS BEEN SEALED WITH SOME SORT OF ASPHALT SEALER AND IT LOOKS AS THOUGH IT WOULD BE VERY SLICK.HAS IT BEEN SEALED AND IS THIS THE REASON FOR THE GROOVING OF THE TIRES?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:39:47 AM »

The track has been sealed.  It is really slick if there is no rubber or heat in it, which usually isn't too much of a problem here in FL. Smiley

We just started grooving our tires the last two races.  They seem to have more grip early in the runs when they aren't heated up yet than they do without the grooves.  We groove them ourselves.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
colonelc
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:32:38 AM »

In response to your questions concerning the track and the tire grooving.  Yes, the track was sealed while it looks like it would be slick, it really is no more so than any unsealed track, one of the advantages is that with the sealer on the track it does not allow the moisture to wick up to the surface from the asphalt or the underlying dirt.  If the track is "green" as in "no rubber" say after a rainstorm it does  tend to be a little slippery but i the sealer also reduces the amount of moisture that seeps into the track surface so it tends to dry out very quickly.  Regarding the grooving of the tires, most of the teams do prepare their tires in this fashion, they do have to do this themselves as the newly purchased tires are delivered to them just as they are received from Hoosier.  The majority of the raceteams do believe that by preparing them in this fashion it does provide some additional right side grip.  The amount of assistance that this provides depends on a variety of different things related to setup and driving style so it would have to something that another team would have to experiment with to determine if it makes enough of difference to justify the time and effort involved.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:59:31 PM »

Slowpoke,
Grooving is for forward and side bite on asphalt tracks. We do it ourselves with a grooving tool. You just have to be careful not to go too deep, to where you see the threads.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:27:36 PM »

What # blades are you all using for grooving?

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »

Good question...the ones that came with the groover. Smiley  I will look tomorrow and see if there is a number on it.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: