USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:56:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help!  (Read 11479 times)
LittleRocket#92
Rookie

« on: October 15, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

Hey guys hopefully this is the appropriate place to put this as I have not seen another message board for anything to do with quarter midgets and I do not know anyone directly. Anyhow I'm just trying to get my 5 year old started and we bought him a 76" Bullrider last weekend.I bought it as a roller as we are having to get started on a pretty tight budget.Anyhow I'm looking for a couple parts if anyone has what I need shoot me a PM as I need the right rear drive hub for a 1 1/4 key axle and I'm also needing a descent set of shocks and while taking it apart and cleaning while trying to learn a little more about it I also need brake pads(dont know where to get them),caliper(if I can find one as this one looks very old and dont want to trust it) & definitley a rotor as this one is very rough. If anyone has anything please let me know. Also I took the birdcages off and the bearings look very dirty what do you all use to clean them with and what do you lubricate them with? And last (for now) when I took the right rear hub off which is broke why I need another one I noticed that it has a slot for a key way and the axle does there as well does it need a key way there as there was not one on it but I'm sure it is suppose to have one? Thanks and I appreciate any help you all can offer or if anyone has any parts that I need as I cant afford none of the 800 dollar shocks right now with spending on everything else to try to get him on the track.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »

Where are you located?
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »

LittleRocket#92,
I do hope you picked up this QM for a very good price as it sounds like it is definately not ready to go. Shocks, and a complete brake assembly can add up quickly as you seem aware and a legal Honda GX120 (used) will not be had for much under $400.

I would think there are some turnkey decent QM's for Jr. Honda available for around $2500 - $3000.

This car sounds about $1000 away with all used parts, so I hope you got it under $1000 or so. Have you checked that the rest of the car is up to date and legal? What are the dates on the belts? That is another $60 or so.

To answer some of your questions. I do believe there is a key in my RR hub. Check with Bullrider to see what shocks they recommend on each corner as they are not all the same - I believe there are travel and damping differences, for example 3/5 or 5's, etc. The RR hub is cheap - maybe a $40 piece at most.

Hope it helps. Probably any old shocks will get your 5 year old on the track in Novice. But you don't want total junk because you want the car to handle consistantly.

I saw in the Classifieds a nice 2005 Storm complete turnkey package with heaps of spares and a small open trailer all for $4000 (cheap)! (Sorry I could not resist that is my ad!)

LittleRocket#92
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

Yeah I picked it up at a pretty good deal which is what I needed to do right now. The belts are actually good they are only 7 months old now and it had a new front end put in not long ago. It is a car that another young one got started in and then they stepped up to a new piece which is my intentions after I find out for sure this is what he wants to do. I have already picked up a motor for it. The car is actually not as bad as I might have made it sound it just looks like the rearend and its components are original 2000 or 2001 and he put the shocks off of it on his new car. I just dont know anything about these things but would like for it to be kind of up to date before I turn my 5 year old loose in it and look forward to working on it with him anyhow. Thanks alot!
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:31:56 PM »

little rocket,I know a guy that has some shocks for sale they are carrea.Were are you located at?let me know I'll check and see what I have this weekend is it for us.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »

Hmmm....new front end....did he bend the old one eh?

racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »

Hey LittleRocket, and welcome to the sport. You'll have great family experiences in QM's, especially during race weekends. Be wary about what items you buy used. For cars and such, you don't want to go so much by the age, but in how those items were driven (and taken care of) by the previous driver. Keep an eye on the Classifieds section here at USAC. QMA has classifieds on their site as well. And you'll always have people selling used/extra items at the track.

You'll probably want to pick up the book, "Quarter Midget Chassis Technology" by Steve Smith Autosports. Tons of great info in there for beginners and veterans alike.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »

Welcome to the sport LR92!

If you are down south, the Potter family are really awesome people and are a lot of help.  Their website is: http://www.pottermotorsport.com/.  Just call and talk to Sheri or Neil and they will not steer you wrong.

If you are up north, we have bought several things from Harper Racing and they were very helpful as well.  Their website is: http://www.harperracing.com/.

We use Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner (whichever is on sale at the time) to clean our bearings and lube them with the lightest weight synthetic oil you can get your hands on.

I wouldn't rush into buying shocks right now.  Odds are the consistency of his driving is going to be the biggest hurdle to overcome for a while.  When my son first started his car was decent with a really old set of Smoker shocks that went through oil faster than our government goes through money.  The first thing I would do if I were you regarding shocks is call the shock companies and talk to them about where you race and they will tell you the base shock package you should start with for your son.  Then start watching for deals on the shocks you want.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
IndyQMDad
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:00:01 PM »

Hey Jason,

It was nice speaking with you last night.

I thought I'd post a link here to the information that I was telling you about. This link goes directly to the bearing maintenance section and from there you'll be able to read up on a lot of good info.

http://freemanracing.com/home/index.php/Answers-to-misc.-questions/Bearing-Maintenance.html

I agree with racemom2000 about the Steve Smith book. It was invaluable to me when we got started. I have a copy I'd sell for $10 plus shipping if you're interested; otherwise, you can find many of them for sale on eBay.

I would avoid using carb cleaner for your bearings. Carb cleaner is about as caustic as general cleaners come. It is possible that it could damage the finished surfaces of the balls and/or race. Brake cleaner is less caustic, and is what I normally use.

Feel free to call anytime if I can be of additional assistance. Best wishes.   

David
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »

Hadn't heard that about Carb Cleaner before...I guess it is only Brake Cleaner for us going forward.  Thanks for the info David!!!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »

One more thing, I forgot to put in my initial post: If you're absolutely brand spanking new to the sport, you'll also find helpful information in Steve Clark's (free) online "Novice Handbook for Quarter Midget Handlers". Here's the link:
http://www.alqma.com/novicehandbook%5B1%5D.pdf

Some of the info is outdated (like pricing), but it will get you moving on the track. Between the free handbook, Steve Smith's Chassis book, and hints/tips from people at your track, you should be well on your way. Give your kid the best car & equipment you can afford, get a good baseline setup going. You'll want to get as much seat time as possible, so he can get comfortable & learn to properly tell you how his car is/isn't handling.

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
gass
Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 05:53:56 PM »

We have smoker shocks for $75.00 a complete set just rebuilt, with coil over kits and rod ends.

We also have another set and will sell both for 150.00

We also have a unlocked hubs for $35.00

If interested you can call Dave Gass at 312-259-1004 he will also be at Columbus this weekend.
LittleRocket#92
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »

Hey guys I appreciate all of your help and advice I think I have found everything I need (for now). Hope to meet you all at a track sometime soon. Thanks again!!
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: