USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:36:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cryo valve springs  (Read 14231 times)
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« on: August 18, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »

Curious if you have a local person (like your engine builder) perform cryogenic treatment for your valve springs, or if you recommend sending them off to a particular cryo company..... ?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 12:53:49 PM »

Actually for the Honda's its illegal.  I have heard of many that are doing it but it is illegal, hard to check and enforce though.

Swartz
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:56:02 PM »

Curious if you have a local person (like your engine builder) perform cryogenic treatment for your valve springs, or if you recommend sending them off to a particular cryo company..... ?

Cryo of any parts is illegal,    except.........it's undetectable.......and makes the springs last longer........and perform better......but it's illegal. Roll Eyes
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »

LOL. wow, okay - I guess I need to read "all" parts of the USAC rules (and not just the ones applicable for when I get mad about something. Whoopsie.... LMAO! No cryo then...

But here's a question, why would it be illegal? Does it also do something bad? Or is it just that USAC wants a level playing field for all drivers, & it's something they couldn't really regulate?

Is it also illegal in QMA?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 01:09:51 PM »

The Hondas are supposed to be box stock, which means that you cannot do anything to the motors, period!

As Swartz mentioned, it makes them stronger and last longer.

It is illegal in QMA and USAC.

goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »

I think both QMA and USAC needs to allow the 200 valve springs in the 120's as they already allow with the 160's.  It will do nothing more than save the members money by not needing to change their valve springs as much.

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »

Like others said, it is illegal for use in your Quarter Midget engine.  However if you want to get some Cryo treated valve springs for use in your Lawn Mower, you can buy them here: http://www.nr-racing.com/stockparts.htm

I just don't think using them in a Quarter Midget would be that beneficial from a cost perspective.  Currently I buy valve springs for $3.00 each and replace them every 3rd race (2 if we practice a lot in between).  If I could buy Cryo treated ones for $5.00, I would probably still change them ever 6th race at the absolute most.  I would be saving a little bit because they aren't quite twice the price, but is that worth it?  Is it realistic to think anyone would run a cryo valve spring for months on end?  I just don't see it happening.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:38:13 PM »

Also, as you move up from Novice to Jr. Honda to Sr. Honda, you will find that your tires and springs don’t last near as long the faster and harder you run.

I really miss those novice tire bills, 1 set a year, 2 at the most.  Guess it all equals out because the extra tires you  have to buy makes up for the axles you used to bend up more.   ;-)

Swartz
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 01:58:36 PM »

The cryo treatment does not improve the performance, just the life span. As the springs run they lose installed height due to repeated compression. As you lose height you lose seat preasure and get valve float at a lower RPM reducing the useable rpm range of the engine. The cryo treatment aligns the molecules of the metal making it more durable and give up less maintaining performance longer........er......I'm told. The cost to repeatedly change springs or use cryo and change less often would probably be a wash.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 02:13:43 PM »

I guess we were lucky, AJ only bent 1 axle as a Rookie/Novice (knocking on wood right now). 

I am dreading buying new sets all the time now that he moved up.  I guess I probably need to start changing the valve springs more often too, ugh...need more sponsors!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »

The cheapest thing to do with these "box stock" p-shooter engines would be to stretch them back to length but then some tech type would get his panties all in a wad because they arent the "right" height.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »

Jr. Honda isnt that bad, wait till you get to Sr. Honda, then the cost of tires, wheels, springs, axles, rods, heims etc go up...  LOL

I have said before, we spent more money in Sr. Honda than in Jr. Novice, Jr. Honda, Lt. 160 and WF COMBINED!

racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »

Scott G,
Ssshhh! Don't let my husband read that. Noah's supposed to race Sr Honda the first time this weekend. Whew, things are expensive enough already. LOL Wink

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 08:23:10 PM »

I think both QMA and USAC needs to allow the 200 valve springs in the 120's as they already allow with the 160's.  It will do nothing more than save the members money by not needing to change their valve springs as much.

That's what I thought when I read that rule too. Why the difference between classes?

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »

Like others said, it is illegal for use in your Quarter Midget engine.  However if you want to get some Cryo treated valve springs for use in your Lawn Mower, you can buy them here: http://www.nr-racing.com/stockparts.htm

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: