USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:20:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the Rules / Questions  (Read 9072 times)
Doug Adams
Rookie

« on: June 14, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »

Perhaps one of the USAC track officials could help clarify this, but welcome all views to help my understanding.  When does 1708.12 apply where both cars get a Strike and go to the back vs. 1713.24?  Is there something unique about the “hooked together” distinction that make both cars go to the back AND each get a Strike?  Is this where one car has hitched a ride on the back of anothers bumper and they havent come apart, but havent gone DOT?  Or does it also include when two cars get in a wreck, but the tires are locked together in the nerfs, and perhaps one car got a call/strike for charging?  What is the relation to 1713.24, if two cars go DOT because one car charged the other, do they both go to the back, or just the one who got the call and the innocent car retains its position.

Also, if a car is a victim of two incidents resulting in DOT but the other car got the call in each case, the innocent car is subject to 1713.23 and out of the race – “Any car going DOT….for any reason”

Also, what is the distinction between a "call" and a "strike" throughout the rulebook?

If under green flag two or more cars become hooked together and do not unhook
themselves – the yellow flag will come out followed by red if necessary. (Flaggers
and/or Chief Stewards discretion) The cars will be unhooked and unless a car is
disqualified, all cars will go to the tail and be charged with a STRIKE.

If a car goes dead on the track under green, unless a call is involved; it will be
started at the back of the pack. Cars going dead on the track under yellow flag
conditions will retain their position unless a call is made.

Any car or cars going dead on the track totaling 2 times, for any reason (while
under green flag racing conditions) will be disqualified and will be black flagged
but scored as DNF. Clubs may use 3 Dead On Track’s, but need to notify
Regional Director and National Office in writing at the beginning of each season
ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:04:16 PM »

seems like it has been rather inconsistant race to race, and alot of people are upset about it. my thing is it seems alot of kids are getting strikes when they shouldnt. i think usac is working on some of these things. one thing is i think you do have a voice if you make a call to james spink or one of the other officials, i am confident they are working in heading the right direction.
Swartz
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »

I thought they were going to do it like the bigs. If you stop, you go to the tail. If you intentionaly take someone out, you go to the tail. One of the first things you should learn is you don't want a guy you dumped starting behind you.
Doug Adams
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »

While watching a handful of the junior Indy races I noticed that a few cars would dive under the white line on entry just before the rumble strips and "push" cars out of the way to make a pass then drive them to the wall because they could not hold a line on exit forcing the other car to back off or force a crash.  Is this a legitimate passing techinique?
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »

We've seen this at our track, but it seems like the kids police it themselves pretty well.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 09:45:13 AM »

I would suggest everyone email or call James with your feedback. I know I already have an email started because there are several things that could be improved upon for future events. USAC has proven they will take constructive critism and try to improve things based on it.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
grandma13
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »

I know this much for sure.  If something is not done about charging and aggressive driving some young person is going to be seriously injured.
Doug Adams
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »

In another instance I saw during a Sr Honda restart late in the Amain, it appeared that one of the cars further back in 6th or 7th place, completely cut the corner (and a handful of cars who were on the white line) on turn 1 and drive into the #2 position car who was past the apex.   This sent the #2 position car to the back of the pack on the restart that followed as a result.  I could not determine what happed to the car that caused the incident.

I would just like to know whats acceptable racing technique, what iss going to be called and what is not.  I would like to know so I can teach my driver what it takes to be competitive.

It appeared that the corner painting / speed breaker placement on the track also lent itself too and rewarded this type of driving.

To one of the earlier posts - do we really want the drivers policing it themselves?  I don't want to take the comment out of context, and I apologize in advance if I have but....it doesn't seem healthy in a youth sport to have the drivers go "settle it out back", or worse settle it on the track with a 275# vehicle and someone ends up getting hurt.  Even worse might be what the parents would do to settle it.  We've all seen poor examples of that type of behavior and its not healthy either.

RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »

What I mean is at our track, you don't slice under someone and ride them out to the wall because you know it's going to possibly lead to getting involved in a wreck. Nothing about going back and getting even afterward. There's just plenty of drivers that aren't going to give you room that isn't there and so anytime you make a move like that, you know that you risk making contact and going to the tail. So while we saw it at the beginning of the year, it's almost non-existent now. Most of the people that run up front at our track won't give up their line and while sometimes this leads to getting put on the tail, it's set an example for anyone who thinks they can intimidate them out of their line.

We have 16 Senior Hondas every week. We start the full field USAC allows us to and during a usual race only one or two don't finish and none strike out. I don't have facts and figures with me but I would estimate only three or four cars even have a strike on average.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: