USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: nationals  (Read 24182 times)
BQwkR
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »

I looked at one of the recent pictures posted on USAC's web site of the Indy race just concluded.This one kid was leaning so far out the leftside of the racer--far outside the safety bars--that he look horizontal. The kid in the racer behind him looked like he was sitting upright in a safe rigid car seat. He looked in total control of his car and since he was right on the leaners bumper, just as quick.

The leaner was in a really odd position (orthopedically speaking) but he sure looked cool. I assume his handler had setup the race car based on that amount of leaning so that he could adjust the race car's distribution of  weight, its roll height, its rate roll rate, its center of gravity, its camber, its spring rates, tire pressures and temperatures were all compensated for and optimized for a sure trip to Victory Lane. The drivers safety didn't seem to be much of a concern. It seemed that boy was really focusing on the inner part of the track in front him without his being concerned what was;  happening to any other race car out of his line of sight, safely braking, holding a line or any other thing other than winning the race. Now this kids car could have been easily been chopped, spun out and flipped.

Was the kid told to drive that way? Did his track's safety officer or certified trainer sign off on this unsafe driving technique? Did he get a "strike" for unsafe driving? Yeah, maybe adding 30 feet to the straight away and 15 feet to the turns may add some different dynamics, good and bad, to the track and racer, but it might just make it safer also. Never seen a driver of a car going 65 mph. down the Santa Monica freeway lean out the window into the median to get home faster. Anybody ever tried a longer track? Where's the data?
Swartz
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »

I think that the only data that pertains is that any accident at or in excess of 35 mph is potentialy fatal and these are kids. Aside from that, I would rather have runoff room that a wall and I have seen cars clear the fence at every track we have been to from wheel to wheel contact. We have run on larger tracks several times and it makes for some exciting 5 wide racing. Makes me grit my teeth. I take it you will be going to Indiana to run on the 1/10th mile track.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »

I think Nationals was (overall) a success. Remember that it was the 1st one for .25, so it's all a learning process. However, it would've been nice to have longer practice sessions. At two minutes a pop, our lil' guy never got up to speed during the 3 practices because there were so many cautions from other cars that ate up the time. This made it difficult for us to assess what adjustments may have been imperative for the Heat & Main. Maybe instead of 3 separate practices @ 2 minutes spread far apart, something like two separate 5 minute runs could have been more beneficial. Thoughts? Roll Eyes

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 09:46:55 AM »

We did not go to the nationals because of the fact that you could not camp at the track,instead you had to incur the extra expense of motel etc. I really don't understand the big deal of racing in a parking lot behind the garages  just because it is at IMS.When was the last time anyone actually went to the Indy 500 anyway.USAC is doing a great job with the .25 program but I think we could tweak a few things and make it better, and cutting the cost is the biggest one.
grandma13
Feature Winner

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:26 AM »

Many families camped across the road from the IMS and had a ball.  No electicity but they had plenty of space and I noticed some moved back over to the IMS every day then back to the camping area.  The track itself was great a couple of problems only and that is being addressed.

Other concerns in racing proceedures are being looked into.

New system and it will take awhile to iron out all of the  proceedures.  I have been to Grands and saw problems there also.
I saw and talked to some really great people from all over.  These young people who get to race have no ideal of how fortunate they are.
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »

Slowpoke, it was a bit pricey to travel to Nationals. But Nationals for .25 is much like Nationals for any other sport (you're most likely going to have to travel a ways & spend some money to participate). I can tell you that the experience meant "so much more" for our family than "racing in a parking lot behind the garages". It meant our boy had the ability to compare his racing skills with others around the country. We were also able to meet other race families, with similar interests, that we wouldn't have been able to meet otherwise (thus forming new friendships & alliances).

And, we were able to get to know our race mates from home much better - as we worked like a team to ensure each of our drivers were 1) ready to race, & 2) having a great time. We were able to save some money by networking with our racemates. For example, out of the 4 rookies from our club, we were able to pack all 4 cars into 2 trailers. And all 4 families shared tools & equipment. We also shared food/drinks with one another. To me, it was also a nice break from the norm.

By talking & working with others, I learned things in 3 days that would have taken me months to learn on my own at home. So, I would recommend Nationals to anyone & everyone who's child is serious about .25. It was an experience I wouldn't have traded for anything.

There's an RV park nearby. And anyone can put aside a few dollars each month to save for next year (if they "really" want to go).

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
gass
Veteran

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »

We did not go to the nationals because of the fact that you could not camp at the track,instead you had to incur the extra expense of motel etc. I really don't understand the big deal of racing in a parking lot behind the garages  just because it is at IMS.When was the last time anyone actually went to the Indy 500 anyway.USAC is doing a great job with the .25 program but I think we could tweak a few things and make it better, and cutting the cost is the biggest one.

As far as the USAC .25 Nationals go, no matter what series or where a national race is held you will have to pay to play.   

Having a race at IMS makes sense in the fact it is easy to get to and drivers that were in the area came out to watch like Little Al, Ryan Newman, Mel Kenyon, Lynn St. James etc.... IMS is one of the most prestigious tracks in the world, for my son to say he raced and won there is a big event in his life.  These kids may never race the INDY 500 but can say they raced at the track.

I met many people at this event some from California, Florida and as far as camping you could park your motorhome in the IRL lot if you chose to.   The hotel rate wasn't bad either.  We went to dinner with many families and got to bench race.

When we started racing, and I might add we have been involved in racing for over 25 years, we knew there would be costs involved like in any sport it is your choice on how involved you get and how much your willing to pay. 

I don't know why you feel the INDY 500 isn't well attended I go to the INDY 500 yearly and about 200,000 attend the race.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:28:36 PM by gass » Logged
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 03:28:53 PM »

Lets just look at the numbers:

Wikipedia shows that about 715 drivers have driven in the Indy 500.

I can't find the data online, but using the calculation from the Indycar side, you are probably talking about 150ish NASCAR drivers have driven the Brickyard.

There were a handful of F1 races at the speedway from 2000 through 2008 with about 100 or so drivers racing total during that time.

There have been a few other events held at the speedway recently like our event and some motorcycle racing.  However, it is safe to say that the total number of drivers to have raced at IMS is somewhere between 1000 and 2000.

There are 6.7 billion people on the planet right now and out of that less than 2000 have driven in competition at IMS. 

In addition: From August 19, 1909 through May 24, 2009, 244 automobile races took place at IMS, with 136 separate drivers winning.

We came from Florida and spent about $1500 on fuel, hotel and rental car to give our Rookie driver the opportunity to be one of less 2000 people out of 6.7 billion to drive at IMS in competition.

One other notable fact, 400,000 people a year attend the Indy 500.

Racing at IMS and winning at IMS in any event is a special moment that very few will ever enjoy.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Magic Man
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »

jss has my vote for best use of the word mollycoddle in 2009!
ssssmoke
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »

history, tradition, atmosphere. no grands can compare to the nationals at ims. my kid was blown away soon as we went through the front gates.
gadams
Veteran

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »

The fun factor of the nationals out way the cost 100 to 1. We camped across the road for free minus the gas for the generator and drove the motorhome across everyday. My son was thrilled he got to race at such a special place, even if it was a parking lot behind the garages. we took the guided tour and the guides pointed out the kids, very cool, alot of the tourist had many questions about where all the kids were from and some made it a point to come watch our kids race.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: