USAC Racing Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:15:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New to Qm Racing  (Read 7284 times)
rookiecheif06
Rookie

« on: June 30, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »

I am very new to the sport of Qm racing. My son Joe is still a year away from racing, but I want to get started now. I plan to attend the nationals in Columbus,Oh to get a feel for the racing action and excitement. Looking for advice from the rookie class on their experiences in purchasing a car, equipment etc..,
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »

There are several other threads on here with good information.

Our family did something different than most for the car, but it worked for us and most importantly our budget.  We found a guy that bought his son a car three years before and it never left their garage.  His wife was on him to get it out, so in the end we picked it up for $1200 including a spare 160 engine, pit cart and several spare parts.  We stripped it down and went through everything, including rebuilding the 120 engine ourselves.  Our son used it for his first 5 races, then we sold the car and bought the Stanley he races now.  My brother and I learned more about working on these cars and setting them up from that first car than AJ learned driving it, which was just what we needed.  In the end we sold the spare 160 engine for $300 and old car for $1500 which covered about half of the new car.  Throw in the education the first gave us, and we came out way ahead on it.  The other family is about to start racing our old car and we can't wait to see it on the track again too.

As far as safety equipment goes, we bought all new so we knew what we were getting.  We also decided on a LaJoie Seat which was the best purchase we have made so far!

Ask if you have specific questions and I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
QMMOM2
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:29 AM »

You might want to check out Freemanracing.com.  They have a safety equipment package as does AAR racing.  We bought a 1year old car right off the bat so that we did'nt have to turn around and sell it after novice.  It really has helped my husband who has no previous racing experience learn the car and to make adjustments now in jr.honda. 
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:10:28 AM »

I would buy a Stanley or Bullrider as they are easy to set up and parts are readily available.  I also encourage you to buy the Lajoie seat or at least a Kirkey seat and have the kid sitting straight up. I also would suggest buying an 04 or newer car. 
Swartz
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

If you are going to be racing at Columbus, Miami Valley, Mac-O-Chee, you should check out Ellis Shell and the Eagle IV cars. He is a local builder and is at the track with parts. The Eagles are great cars. We had a 9 year old Eagle III that was winning races and championships till the day we sold it and Eagle IVs we have won local, regional races, grands fast times. About everything we could ask for. I have seen some really good used ones for sale. A couple of other people you should look up are Larry Ebert and Dale Hall. They also have a trailer at the races loaded with parts and electronics. Anything Ellis doesn't have Larry and Dale will and vice versa.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: