USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:03:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: car size VS child size?  (Read 42207 times)
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »

If thats the case, the same would apply to buying your child a full size station wagon for their first car...  ;-)

.25DUDE
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 12:04:02 AM »

THIS IS NOT A MONEY ISSUE YOU CAN BUY A CHEAP SMALL CAR SELL IT CHEAP AND BUY ANOTHER CHEAP  BIG CAR POINT BLANK GET THE KID A CAR THAT HE CAN SEE PAST THE FRONT WHEEL  SO HE IS NOT WRECKING EVERYBODY ELSE AND THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »

In case you haven’t noticed, people are cutting back and yes, money is an issue for MANY and buying and selling cars every year isn’t feasible.

As for wrecking others, I know of quite a few people that are actually in small cars that wreck people and it has nothing to do with the size of the car.  It has more to do with the basics, like comfort, consistency, knowing the rules etc.  You also have small kids in large cars that drive perfectly so the car size isn’t the issue if they are setup properly.

You don’t have to charge or hit another car in order to pass, you do occasionally in a race have to lift off the gas or use the brakes, and for goodness sake, if your kid runs a different line every lap and is all over the place, put the stop watch away because you have more important things to worry about than lap times.

Swartz
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 09:37:34 AM »

Gee, Scott, you are missing this guys point entirely. If the kid is strapped in propper QMA style with his shoulder dragging the ground he will never be able to see over the hood or past the front wheel in a big car. 
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »

Thanks Myron, I forgot about being able to see over the left front tire...  Who even looks over the hood or right side anyway.  ;-)

Never understood why it was so important to ensure that the kids arm restraints were so short they couldnt have their hands or arms outside of the nerf bar only to let their head and shoulders outside of it to drag the ground and bounce off the track.

QSL
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 12:01:34 PM »

Well, we have the car almost back together. I am adjusting the car for seat height. Do you guys think this is too high?

I would also like to add about the size and price of cars. I agree its a cost issue. Sure we found different size cars for all around the same price, problem is the shape and quality of the car. We scored a 2yr old car vs a 10yr old car and the newer car has better stuff on it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:03:11 PM by QSL » Logged
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »

Looks like a nice piece, 1000 shocks on it and looks to have been maintained well.  He looks fine and as long as he can reach the pedals without stretching his legs for them you will be fine.  Have fun and good luck!

QSL
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »

Well, it was not maintaned very good. It was OK, but not great. Everyone has their own standards to how things should be taken care of, so to the previouse owners it may have been fine. Like I said, it was OK, just not great.  We tore it down and powder coated the chassis and bumpers. Had to replace the front and rears. Cleaned everything real good and replaced a few things here and there. We have the pedals on the closest setting to him. His knees are slightly bent and when he presses all the way down his knees are almost straight.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:54 PM »

Make some brackets and try and get them a little closer so his legs dont get close to straight.  With my 5 year old it helped him alot more.

Did a good job on the car, looks great.  Dont you want to sell next year and buy another one after all that?  LOL

QSL
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:57:29 PM »

So his knees need to stay slightly bent the whole time when he is pushing on the pedals? His throttle is like that, but not the brake. Then again, i need to put fluid in there because I changed the lines.

Nope, dont feel the urge to do that again. It was a bunch of work. It will be much easier keeping it up now that a baseline has been established. Smiley
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 06:32:51 PM »

My 5 year old seemed to have more strength for the brakes with a slight bend in his knees, plus, he didnt run out of push.  ;-)

heimboyz89
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »

Keeping his knees slightly bent is also a great way to avoid a knee/ankle injury. Pressure from a front impact on a knee in the "locked" position is never a good thing. 

Eric
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »

thanks for the tips guys!!!
QSL
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »

OK guys, one more question. Should I mount the belts on the left bar like I originally found it, I assume so the driver is leaning out the car or mount them one on each bar so he is sitting up right?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »

Sitting up...No need for a driver to lean out of a car.  Some claim they must lean out to get the weight distributed correctly, but I have seen more kids win sitting upright than leaning so obviously setup can be figured out without putting the kids head in danger.

I would recommend a seat to keep your kid where you want them.  We went with a Joie of Seating seat and still to this day think it was the best purchase we made.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:47:07 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: