USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:11:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Head Rest Recommendations  (Read 14903 times)
Aruthenb
Rookie

« on: March 06, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »

Looking for everyone's recommendations on a good head rest to use for their kids.  I want to get something that is not only comfortable for the driver, but solid enough to not bend or flex in an accident.  What are the best manufacturers and locations to get one from?  I prefer something that mounts to both upright tubes so it will not "roll" around the tube in an impact. 

What are your driver's thoughts and recommendations?  Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
dmmc
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »

A good head rest is stronger neck muscles.  They will get stronger by not using a headrest.  On a long green flag run you'll see drivers relying too much on the headrest and losing the feel of the racecar. 
Aruthenb
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »

I agree with you from a normal racing aspect and that is a very true statement.  Unfortunately neck muscles don't do much for a kid in a hard side impact to keep their spine in alignment with their neck and not cause trauma.  My son is using a Simpson R3 which is great for restraining front head movement, but want to keep the side to side movement down as well.

Looking for a good recommendation on what everyone is using out there.  Thanks again in advance!
hotshoe8t
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »

Both Stanley and Talon chassis sell some really nice head supports.
JRandall
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

If you only use a head rest and not shoulder and rib support I feel you do more damage in side impact.  Without the should and rib support the body moves sideways and the head stops at the rest causing more damage then good.  If child sits at about a 15 degree angle (not leaning outside of cage) but leaning with spine and neck all in alignment the helmet will be easier to support.  My 6 year old weighed 40 pounds and does fine without headrest. 

Just my opinion..
hotshoe8t
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:45:06 AM »

We use a poured seat insert in our car for our 6 year old, with his right should right against the panel in the car so he is well supported in there. Then we use the Talon head rest in ours. Butler-built seating also makes some real nice shoulder/head support combos that I've seen used in the past also.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: