USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:57:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Animal  (Read 26981 times)
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 03:31:27 AM »

What are we looking at for box stock price? I used to see them for under $500 but now they're showing up $650. That's hard to eat when you can get a stock honda for under 4.
Swartz
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »

This debate was going on long before we got here and will not end any time soon. A post from Sat, 25 Jul 1998 08:57:39 -0700

[I think the cost of racing is going to dictate another class. Yup, I can
hear those Honda racers who have enjoyed reasonably inexpensive racing
demanding more faster racing at close to the same cost. I'll bet they are
also becoming, if not, are almost a majority in QMA. In the distant woods I
can hear the scream of the owners of expensive Deco, 'what about my
investment'. The cost of a competitive Deco is going to sent it the way of
the dinosaurs.

Leon
Money talks and often just says "Goodbye."

At 08:30 98-07-25 -0500, you wrote:
>Yes, We have pleanty of time for another class or two or three
>Donald Hendrix
>
>At 11:58 PM 7/24/98 EDT, you wrote:
>>In a message dated 98-07-24 22:46:20 EDT, you write:
>>
>><< While I might be inclined to say I favor a Honda, I really wanted to keep
>> the issue more one of "is there sufficient time in the raceday for another
>> two or three races" (junior, Senior, and Heavy) and not a debate over the
>> specific motor.
>>
>> Robert Kerr >>
>>
>>
>>Answer to your original question, YES There is always time for racing Smiley]
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »

The handlers of Jr. Honda kids are really excited about this additional experimental class at the club. It gives them a second class to run to gain some seat time before moving on to the Sr. Honda class. They see the benefits that this platform brings to Quarter Midget racing and had no problem investing in this engine. It is much cheaper and easier for the new handlers than the deco stocker class. Not to mention the price of a stocker compared to the animal.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
Doug Adams
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »

Will there be an Animal plate for novice next year?  Would really like to get our next in line started on this platform.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »

I completely agree with Eric.  As a Jr. Honda handler the idea of getting AJ more seat time by having him run in an animal class is something I am excited about.  Jr. Stock with a Deco is just not something that is in the budget for us and probably won't be for quite some time.

Any thoughts on when it might be made official that they are having an animal class next year?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »

Why would you want a separate class? They are an overhead valve 4 stroke just like the honda. Seems to me you could match them up with the restrictor and run them together.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 02:42:36 PM »

More seat time in races for Jr. Honda aged kids at an affordable price.  My boy won't be able to race a 160 car until late in the year next season, but if we could start in an Animal class from the beginning that would be great.

My only concern regarding the Animal engine platform is that at one point Briggs wasn't known for cranking out consistent engines.  Hopefully they do now.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »

just my 2 cents. 1-are they going to be able to run in novice?if so from what I'm getting throw your honda away.But wait don't do that because once your out of novice you can run them and also run 120. 2-were is the tech manual.Look how long it has taken the wf this the 3rd year and I can remember once they started talking about alot of people said they were going to buy one and that didn't happen.Last weekend there were 4 hvy and I think 7 lights. This is after 3 years.Don't get me wrong I think cost will go down compared to the decos but I think this needs to slow down and not get the cart in front of the horse. Just my 2 cents.

P.s. congrads to my bff cole thunder crandal on his win in novice. And also to Alex Siegal in sr. stock.
ssssmoke
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »

it always cost money to go fast, dont be fooled by this animal b.s., you really think an open animal that will "run with an AA" will cost less than a grand give me a break!!  and as far as the jr., sr.,lt.160 animal equivelant goes.dont buy into that either. you still must buy multiple engines to run each class. there are plenty of hondas out there cheap and fast and proven. i have bought 2 gx160 for a thousand dollars and have several feature wins and won points with them, and will continue to do so next year. there are to many classes out there now with 1 to 3 cars in them and thats what the animal will be also. LLR is right, there is rarely a field of ten wf's now 4 years down the road.  just my opinion
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »

LLR- Thx for the words- Thnder is still Beaming from last weekend. I just hope that now he will drive like that more consistantly instead of playing follow the leader with whatever car is in front of him.

I too would like to offer a BIG Congrat's to Alex for his win- he did a great job in that car and is getting better all the time.

Regarding the Animal, we've ran it a couple of times now (Nationals and last weekend) and and will be running it this weekend as well. From my point of view (a handler) mechanically it is like a Honda- (wiring, means and ease of starting, etc- it even has a choke for easier one person starting). From my drivers point of view it is very similar to a stocker.

I like the piece thus far and like the idea of an inexpense class that runs quicker than the Honda's. I just hope it is brought in "the right way" so as not to screw up a potentially good thing.

For those looking for more info on it- feel free to ask questions. I'm open to answering the best I can.

Stay tuned..... 

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
ssssmoke
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 04:49:36 PM »

hope i can get them thunder stickers done by this weekend!! as far as the animal being faster than the hondas im not sure if thats where they are wanting to go with this. ive heard the new gx 160 was to fast so its been banned i cant imagine a faster animal would be where to go with this, as far as i know thus far. from what im hearing from the engine builders standpoint to make a animal run with a AA cost about the same. 5 to 6,ooo dollars.
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »

The Animal is not going to take the place of the Hondas, they will give us a class to run on Sunday that is something us low budget families can do. The World Formulas is going to be our A motor at less than a .25 of the cost. We will be able to race two Hondas on Saturday and two Briggs on Sunday for less than one AA engine. Thats in our budget and everybody has different budgets.

Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:05 PM »

Smoke
 The goKarts have been running these motors for years now. You can have a bad engine that will run with or beat an A motor for around the same cost as a Honda race ready motor. Not a box stock Honda. I had a friend just had an Animal motor built for karts in the open class tha dyno's at 18 horse for $1100.
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »

Well I hope it is cheaper in the long run.I just think they need to so down and do it right.But like smoke said if its is faster than the honda why would you ban a new honda thats faster? I know a guy that builds kart motors here in columbus and he told me 5 years ago he wishes he could build one for lauren duo plug duo msd and about 27 horse only thing he uses is the block.Just like anything else in motor sports how fast do you want to go?
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »

The only reason the Honda is banned  It goes back to the teir 2 and 3 motors. untill they even out the motors , with a key or what ever they decide. They had to ban it untill they do some testing. My opinon is they are not worried about going faster but keeping the cost of having to buy a new motor just to keep up. If this motor is that awesome then everybody will go out and buy one, some families will have to buy two. So now what do they do with the old ones? That is $1100. that does not need to be spent if you already have a good 160 motor that is fast. But if this new motor is that much better, well now your old motor won't even be a midpack motor. Give them some time to work it out. They have showed us this season that they listen to there members
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: