USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:10:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: training materials?  (Read 7697 times)
car91
Rookie

« on: April 25, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »

I'd like to get my driver learning more about the car and the racing of the car.

If this was baseball, there would be lots of good books and DVDs aimed at kids.  The only thing I've found aimed at kids is the book "Quarter Midget Racing is for Me" from about 1974.

I figured I'd subscribe to "Circle Track".  Any other ideas?  I figured I'd use the Steve Smith book as a training tool, but this is focused on the chassis and not the driving aspects. 

happy motoring,
Matt
gtracer
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »

Don't go crazy chasing the car with a Novice put a basline set up in and leave it alone untill the driver gets use to the car.
Then go out and have FUN with your kid thats what it's all about!
cdr4d
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »

the only real way is to have your son/daughter right beside you as you work on your stuff, explain what you are doing and learn together. my son was disassembling servicing and reassembling the axles on his cars at the age of nine. now at 14 he works on his own shocks and everything else on cars. i think the driver must understand how the car "works".
Ezone
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »

Interesting to hear the comments.  When we started our daughter really didnt show much interest in the car.  Now she wants to know what I am doing and wants to do the work herself.  I never discourage it and in fact I get better feedback now.  So although she doesnt have the strength to toruqe everything down, she certainly is in tune with ANY change I make.  It builds her confidence in me as the handler, and her as the driver.  Not to mention grades in math got much better.
outlawqmracer
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:32:08 PM »

Here is one of the best sources of info.  It is a link for the Novice Handbook written by Steve Clark that I found on the Potter Motorsports website.  Hope it helps!  There is also a book by Steve Smith "Quartermidget Chassis Technology" That you can find online for sale.

[url]http://www.hqma.com/docs/NOVICE_HANDBOOK.pdf][url]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:38:35 PM by outlawqmracer » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: