March 28, 2024, 09:44:02 AM
USAC Racing Forum

Username
Password
Don't have an account? Register now, it's free!

Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Author Topic: Capital City Midgets drop 5/15 Ocean Speedway Co-Sanction race  (Read 9399 times)
m.mcc
Rookie

« on: May 14, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »

I received a call from Rick Young of the Capital City Midgets group this afternoon informing me they are backing out of tomorrow night's CCM/USAC Co-Sanctioned event at Ocean Speedway in Watsonville, Ca.

I know that some of the USAC Focus drivers and owners were hesitant about running against or even with, Capital City's less restrictive engine and tire package and may be sitting this event out because of it. If you are one of those and can change your plans on very short notice please give it some thought. It's a great race track.

Thanks

Mike McCluney
USAC Western Developmental Series Coordinator
mike@usacracing.com
RacerCody71
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »

Mike, Thanks for all of the work that you guys put into making this event happen! For those teams that didn't go up, You missed a great time and neat race track!! Try not to miss the next one!!

On a side note, Looks like Bill Carlson is doing well after emergency surgery for a bleeding anurism!? in his neck. Thanks to evryone who hepled load up their stuff and most of all for your good thoughts and prayers!!

PS. Cody's 1st win was pretty cool to!!! Grin
Kirk
midmad68
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:58:44 PM »

congrats cody and andrew...we'll be coming for you this weekend at ventura

how was that hanford track?

pictures at www.oceanspeedway.com

slide or be slid...
sean dodenhoff
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:28:16 PM »

the track was pretty good. a little small. but we needed more laps cause there was basically no passing. But it was a fun night though.
RacerCody71
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »

Thanks Midmad! It was great to get that 1st win under our belts.
Cody agrees with Sean about Hanford, More laps and get rid of those tires. He said it was a blast to run on, everything happens very quick!

Proud Dad and Crew Chief, AKA Dad. Grin
m.mcc
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 12:46:59 AM »

Thanks for giving us the credit for a great weekend Cody, but all the credit belongs to you drivers and crews who made it happen, not us. The crowds loved you, the promoters were happy and want you back, and I couldn't be any prouder. You guy's and gal (Taylor in the Jr's) showed that you can go on the road and race completely different venues back to back and do it exceptionally well. Awesome job!

And what was just as impressive as your on-track performances was the way you all pulled together to help each other. Dave said he counted crew from 4 or 5 different teams working on Nick Rossi's car at midnight Friday and then again at Hanford I saw a number of people helping get Connor's car back together.  That says a bunch about all of you. Impressive show of sportsmanship!

Sean, I completely agree with you. The Hanford race should have been at least 10 laps longer, maybe even 20. I think if the race had been longer more drivers would have tried the middle/outside and that might have brought that groove in better. Frank (the promoter) called today and we both agreed to a longer race next time as well as moving the tires back and cutting a little more of a berm on the inside so you can feel it in the steering wheel. We are also talking about a few other "tweeks" to help make the track a little racier. Frank is a really strong supporter of the Focus program and deserves our support.

Going into Friday night I was concerned that Capital City's last minute decision might reflect badly on us but that turned out not to be the case. What we may have lacked in numbers you all made up for with quality racing throughout the field and the Brody and Cody Show in the last five or so laps really got the crowd going. After the race, John (the promoter) talked very positively about our return there in July. Whew!

I'm already looking forward to Saturday at Ventura. See you there!

Mike McCluney
USAC Western Developmental Series Coordinator
mike@usacracing.com
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:16:17 PM by m.mcc » Logged
Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: