March 28, 2024, 09:47:10 AM
USAC Racing Forum

Username
Password
Don't have an account? Register now, it's free!

Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Author Topic: hanford in field track  (Read 22622 times)
sean dodenhoff
Rookie

« on: April 19, 2009, 10:53:17 PM »

I went to hanford this past weekend to watch the sprint cars. When i saw the small infield track i almost fell over. There is no room for passing on the little bull ring. Just follow the leader. It looks to be designed for quads not the "ford focus series". We should be running the big track.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:24:33 PM by Kevin » Logged
Kevin
Administrator
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:24:08 PM »

I appreciate everyone's feed back on Kings Speedway (Hanford).  If anyone would like to discuss this race further please contact James M. Spink at 317-247-5151 ext 220.

I have removed all the other talk on this subject and think its best to directly express any questions, comments or concerns to James.

Thanks for your support of USAC Racing!
Brett Roa
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:22:49 AM »

Okay guys, you have to move from behind your keyboard and make the phone call. EVERY owner/driver needs to call. If James doesn't answer, leave a message. He is good about returning calls. Let's get this straightened out so we can have a great roadtrip weekend.

See you in Watsonville!
Brett
sean dodenhoff
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »

has anyone heard anything else, last i heard they were going to look at the track.. but after that i was just wondering.

Thanks, sean dodenhoff...... see you in watsonville.
Brett Roa
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »

We stopped by Hanford this morning on our way home from Madera. The 1/5-mile track, as Wally Pankratz and Mike McCluney told me at Madera looks to be very racey for the Focus Midgets. My only concern is the light standard coming out of turn 2, but Mike told me that the track will place additional barriers to eliminate the chance of a sudden stop. It is very small, but wide enough for side-by-side racing. We will need to purchase some very big gears.

BTW - There is a quarter-midget/kart track inside the 1/5-mile track.

See you at Watsonville and Hanford.
Brett
sean dodenhoff
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »

Thanks brett. Was just wondering. Should be a fun weekend.

Sean Dodenhoff
m.mcc
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »

Following up on Brett's post……..

Two of us USAC officials made a trip to Hanford last week and spent a couple of hours looking over the facility and talking to the promoter, Frank Diaz. He's worked hard building the 1/5th mile track and would prefer that we run it but was willing to do what was best for everybody. We measured the track and found the straights to be between 35 and 40 feet wide and the turns measured right at 50 feet wide. The length, depending on where and how you measure it, comes out closer to a 1/6th than the anticipated 1/5th. We came away, however, with the feeling that the track would be very raceable and would produce a superior show for the fans than the 3/8ths mile. The track has since been inspected by other racers who've arrived at the same conclusion as we did so we've decided to proceed with the plan of running both Ford Focus divisions on the 1/6th.

It's important to keep in mind that our primary job is entertaining the people in the stands. Ten, or even fifteen, small cars on the large 3/8ths track doesn't usually show well. The cars may go faster but they quickly spread out so there's not much passing. The 1/6th mile will keep the cars much closer together and should produce a much more exciting show. I personally think it will add further visual variety and interest to the whole program with the CRA and the Western Midgets on the 3/8ths and the Focus on the 1/6th.

Midgets have historically raced on some very small tracks that have produced some very exciting and memorable racing. Here in California they've raced inside the San Francisco Cow Palace and the Arco Arena in Sacramento. And then, of course, there's the "Rumble in Fort Wayne" (a 1/7th –USAC lists it as 1/10th) and the Chili Bowl. There's no doubt the Kings Speedway 1/6th will be a challenge. This will be a driver's race and you drivers will be quite busy. I expect that a lot of the W/S Midget and CRA people will be watching closely so be prepared to bring your "A" game and have a lot of fun.

I want to thank everyone who's stepped forward with concerns and comments. Your input and respectful dialogue is appreciated and I'm sincere in saying that I enjoy working with all of you.

See you at the next race,

Mike McCluney
USAC Western Developmental Series Coordinator
mike@usacracing.com
RacerCody71
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »

So Has the decision been made? We are running the infeild track correct, I need to by gears!
midmad68
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 01:44:05 AM »

i was really looking foreward to going to hanford, but i'm gonna have to miss it. good luck everybody. gotta go get a car ready for my dad to run the following week at ventura.

slide or be slid...
flash21
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 11:53:50 AM »

you need help getting ready for Watsonville/Hanford Huh?  you don't want to miss that trip....
midmad68
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »

that saturday is the only time that we are both free to get the car done.

slide or be slid...
m.mcc
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »

So Has the decision been made? We are running the infeild track correct, I need to by gears!

Hey Cody,

Yes, we are running the small track at Hanford.

Are you guys coming up to Madera Saturday?

Mike McCluney
RacerCody71
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »

Hi Mike,
We won't make it back to Madera this weekend. We see you at Watsonville. Can't wait to get back to some racing!
Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: