USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:45:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lt. World Formula vs. Hvy. World Formula  (Read 5949 times)
goneracin
Rookie

« on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the lap times of the lt wf compared to the hvy wf and how safe the lt class looked ( biking or just out of control) Thanks
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »

I didn’t compare lap times between Lt and Hvy WF but the Light class looked fine, no different than someone running Light AA.

My driver said the only difference was that he wasn’t able to flat foot the Lt as much as the Hvy and he had to breathe it more.  Being 70lbs lighter it was also much quicker coming out of the corners.

We just got an AA and our lap times were about 2 tenths slower than the WF "BUT" my driver has never drove an AA before so that had ALOT to do with it.

There is no issue with Lt. WF, that’s all just smoke being blown...

brad_tribble
Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:41:58 PM »

Why would the Lt class be "out of control"? Car/driver weight has NOTHING to do with driver control.  If it did then the Lt. AA would be flying off the track. The whole Lt. WF being dangerous is a Dave Preston/QMA thing.  He is trying to protect his DECO boys business.  That is the simple truth.
Swartz
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:22:40 AM »

I only have the race at Columbus to go by but, our Hvy. WF was .05 faster than our Hvy AA and to be fair we were only second quick in both. The Lt. WF was .1 quicker than the Hvy. but I did not time the Lt. A. That is probably going to vary from track to track mostly depending on banking and corner radius. All in all the Lt. WF had less problems than Jr. Honda. Lt AA flying off the track? I think they are going for distance now that they figured out how to clear the fence.
PhilHeil
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:02:41 AM »

Why would the Lt class be "out of control"? Car/driver weight has NOTHING to do with driver control.  If it did then the Lt. AA would be flying off the track. The whole Lt. WF being dangerous is a Dave Preston/QMA thing.  He is trying to protect his DECO boys business.  That is the simple truth.

I don't know why a Lt WF would be out of control, but I will tell you that Car/driver weight has EVERYTHING to do with car control.

If you can put your weight where you want it (light driver) you have a huge advantage over a driver that is heavy.  The heavy driver will have more weight transfer going through turns.  The lighter driver can have weight placed in areas that will help it corner better.

I wish QMA had gone to a light and heavy WF class last season.  My 120 pound 13 year old (much of that upper body weight) was racing against kids that weighed 30 to 40 pounds less then he did. 

It's a little kids sport.  It is the only sport I know of where the younger, less experienced participants go faster than the older, more experienced kids.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: