March 18, 2024, 11:25:53 PM
USAC Racing Forum

Username
Password
Don't have an account? Register now, it's free!

Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Author Topic: Focus "Pavement" Chassis Ride Height  (Read 10174 times)
Brett Roa
Rookie

« on: April 04, 2009, 12:08:07 AM »

It was stated that a minimum ride height for pavement chassis would be set in February. Was this done? Was it enforced at the first California pavement event? If so, did it slow the cars significantly?
USAC Developmental
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »

Brett,

Call me when you get a chance I will be more than happy to go over the results that we found as a result of our test which including trying several different ride heights.

Thanks
James M Spink
317-247-5151 ext 220
Brett Roa
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 03:24:19 PM »

Thanks James,

I will call you next week.

Brett
christieracing
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 04:48:52 AM »

I would like to know what advantage the pavement cars have when a combo car qualified 1st, finished 1st in the trophy dash, 1st in the heat and 1st in the main at Havasu. Then at Vegas the same car with a different driver qualified 6th ahead of several pavement cars and finished 2nd in the main on the biggest and fastest track that the focus cars run.
RacerCody71
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »

Cody felt that the "Pavement " cars could drive in deeper and then rotate in the center of the corners better than  he could in the 55. He seemed to be able to come off the corners better than the other two. We also seemed to notice for some reason that Gunderson and Garhardt could abuse the right rear more than he could in the 55 and their cars would stick with them a little better. How much of a differance do the drivers and set-ups make, not sure. Cody had never driven the 55 until that day and Sean obviously knows how to set-up the car, We never touched a wrench to it after installing the seat! I am confident that if we had more time to adjust to Cody's driving style, he could have been better.
Fun day and we appreciate the oppurtunity. Hope we can do it again.
KMS2683
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »

Does a pavement car have an advantage over a combo car on pavement?  Yes.  In a simple analysis, any race car that is built for a specific type track and/or track surface has an advantage over a car that has not been built for a specific type track or track surface.  Can combo cars compete against pavement cars on asphalt?  Yes.  This has been proven by the Bowman’s as Sean definitely knows how to setup the car and with a strong driver like Alex it has been a winning combination.  Cody was very strong in the car as well.  Even with our combo car, given we have a rookie driver with a rookie crew chief, we are competitive on pavement.  If we had gone the route of racing only asphalt, there is no doubt we would have bought an asphalt car for the exact reason I stated, they are built for that purpose.
Reply Pages: [1]
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: