USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:33:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: tampa results  (Read 21765 times)
dxa0khg
Rookie

« on: March 26, 2009, 09:12:38 AM »

just wondering when the complete results for the tampa race will be posted? thanks dan atwell
USAC Developmental
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »

The results from Tampa can be found on their USAC web page at...

http://www.usacracing.com/clubpage?cn=TBQMRA

Thanks again for everyones support of the Eastern District Championship!
dxa0khg
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »

thanks,
PhilHeil
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »

Looks like the car count was low.  Is Tampa a small club.  Looks like a few Indy folks showed up.

Two questions:

How did the Hoosier tires hold up.  I heard they performed badly.  We tested Hoosiers last year in our WF.  They were slower then the Vegas and tore up just as badly after one race.  The Firestones were the best.  They were a little slower then the Vegas but held up for multiple races.

Did the Tampa track really charge to practice?  I have never heard of such a thing but someone that was there told me they did.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »

Phil.... I will try to answer your questions. The Hoosier tires held up very good. We ran the A40A narrow tire 6.5 on our LT WF and LT AA both days. They have little to no wear on them. We put new tires on our Sr Honda the second day to see how a new set would work. They were not any faster than the tires we had practiced with all day Friday and raced on Saturday. We were very happy with the results we saw with the tires. The Tampa track is very slick and I cant see it using tires up unless your setup is way off. I would not be surprised to see more wear at the tracks in Ohio and Indiana.

They did charge for practice and I was glad that I was able to practice on Friday. It was worth the cost for sure. They charged for practice so that they could have the personal to control the parctice session and safety people on site.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
ssssmoke
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »

do you think the 35 will hold up on a light 160 car or should we run a 40?
PhilHeil
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »

Thanks for the info.

When we tested the Hoosiers at Mini-Indy they tore up rather easily.  That track has gotten rather rough in spots thanks mainly to the Vega rubber that is literally pulling the cement from the concrete.

I heard they charged $50 to practice. That seems like a lot of money.  I can understand that though if they had to pay a local life-squad to be on hand. 
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »

Tire wear is not an issue for us in the Rookie class, but in case anyone wants to know...we ran an A35 tire that already had two race weekends on it prior to this past weekend.  We ran that tire for 4 practice sessions on Friday, Qualifying - Heat -Main on Saturday and a heat and main on Sunday and it is pretty much done now.  Without having my sheets in front of me to figure it out, I would guess that right rear probably lasted between 1500 - 1800 laps total at Rookie speed.  Overall, I am happy with the tire wear we have seen and I hear the A40s wear even better.  Again our experience may not apply to others because we are running at rookie speeds.

As for paying for practice, I made my check out to USAC for that, not the Tampa track.  Not sure who kept the money in the end, but I know who collected it from me.  Either way, $30 isn't too bad for a day of organized practice.  I know other tracks charge an associate membership fee if you want to get any practice other than racedays on their tracks.

I was actually more upset about having to pay USAC an additional $40 to race on Sunday when the registration form I mailed in said the entry was $40 for two days of racing on Saturday and Sunday.  I thought that was a bit of a bait and switch move on their part, but it is what it is...either way I think the weekend activities were worth the $110 I paid to be there.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 02:22:39 PM »

Actually it was only $30.00 per class to practice. I was told that $20.00 was to go to the club and $10.00 went to USAC but I dont know for sure.

It was very cool to go to the USAC trailer and watch the practice times show up live on the HD TV that was hanging on the side of the trailer all day.

It was also nice NOT to hear "we need a race director, judges,  flagman etc or we cant race".

USAC is working hard to take Quarter Midget racing into the future.

Eric Rankine
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
PhilHeil
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »

Scott, I think you just bought some items from me on eBay.  I will be shipping them tomorrow.
dxa0khg
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »

we tested both the a35s and a40a on sat and sun , and ran the a35s in the main sat. but went out early with 2 dots , practiced on a40as on sun. and ran the heat with them they were fast, but my driver felt more comfortable with the a35s so we used the tires from sat. for the A they had 50 laps on them ,started 3rd and won the tires showed little wear and performed great , great job hoosier.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »

It was also nice NOT to hear "we need a race director, judges,  flagman etc or we cant race". - AGREED!!!

USAC is working hard to take Quarter Midget racing into the future. - and AGREED again!

Thanks Phil...I am ticked off I didn't win the black wheels too!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
PhilHeil
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 02:56:54 PM »

It was also nice NOT to hear "we need a race director, judges,  flagman etc or we cant race". - AGREED!!!

USAC is working hard to take Quarter Midget racing into the future. - and AGREED again!

Thanks Phil...I am ticked off I didn't win the black wheels too!

You got the better 3 of the 5.  The black ones are good looking but are not reliable outside of a slower Honda class.  That Van-K is a good wheel....I started using that exclusively on our WF because of how strong it was.

As for the racing, how did the USAC on-track rules go.  I have to admit I am not a fan of the 'all DOT cars go to the rear' rule.  I realize that is how things go at higher levels of racing but I don't think I would be real happy if my kid was winning a race and the #2 car spun him out and they both re-started at the tail.
USAC Developmental
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »

That is my fault for not making the entry clearer. 

The entry did state that if there were under 150 cars there would be two separate days of complete shows (including trophies each day).  I should have posted an entry fee would be required if there was 2 separate days.

I apologize for not making it clearer.  There was absolutely no intention to deceive anyone.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 03:00:34 PM »

sssmoke..... We decided to run the A40A tires in Tampa because they seemed to NOT pick up or hold the sand so much. I would think that the A35A will be fine on a LT160 car. That is what I will be running....for what that is worth.

Eric Rankine
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: