USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:56:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Head and Neck Restraint Systems  (Read 13652 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: March 24, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »

First let me thank SLOTWHO for inspiring this thread...

As I said in another thread, we made a decision when AJ started that we would be putting a Hans, Hutchins...etc "head and neck" restraint system on him before we moved him out of the Rookie/Novice class.  I have been asking anyone I can what they think of the different devices, so why not ask here too.  Does anyone have any specific input or opinions on the different devices?  Have you found any that seem to be more comfortable or work better for the little ones? 

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Barnes21
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »

We used the Tucker head restraint system which is like a vest and straps that connect to d-rings you install in the helmet.  Pretty easy system to attach and then unhook.   Looked at a couple of options but this seemed like one of the more comfortable ones and it was very effective.   

Brian Barnes
JMW23
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »

My son uses the R3 head and neck restraint system from Safety Solutions. He loves it.
It attaches to his body and does not rely on the belts to hold it on. He is only 6 so his neck is not strong and it adds support for both front and side movement. He will not go on the track without it, his choice. The only thing is you are not allowed to wear it   
without the neck roll so it makes everthing fit a little tight. It is a nice piece.
BARRY LANDAU
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 05:03:19 PM »

Scott my son runs with the Hybrid. I have seen him roll 5 different times last year in Sr. Honda along with watching him wack a dead car at full speed in Hvy- 160 and you know what? His head did not get jolted or move with this unit on him. I know that some guy's think that a seat is the way to go but trust me..........NO SEAT and use a device. Just so you know the Hybrid or R-3 can be bought at Meyers Motor Sports and are unlike the Hans's because the Hybrid and R-3 have several ways that they attach to the driver. The Hans relies on the soulder belts only, (the ones I have seen) that can get losened in a roll over and fly off the  kid which I have seen happen before. While the Hybrid and R-3 depends on the sholder belts also they has two other ways of of attaching and securing the driver. It has an attachment that goes around the stomach/chest not allowing the unit to fly off if the shoulder belts losen and then it has two strips ,one from each side that clips into the seat belt buckle.

If you think of all the money we spend on these car and how much we love our kids these devise  should be manditory. We have been lucky for years that no kids have been hurt badly and the reason I bought mine is because I know luck runs out and I never want to see my kid nor your kid hurt. Hope this helps.

SLOTWHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone!

I won't be talked out of the seat.  I won't criticize others that made a decision to put their kids in racecars without seats, but that isn't for me.  At first I wasn't going to go all out and get the LaJoie seat, but after looking at many of the standard seats I realized AJ was just so skinny and even in the smallest standard seat, he would have a lot of free space to bounce around in.  To me that would counter the benefits of the seat.  I was worried if he got T-Boned hard his body would bounce hard enough off the inside of the seat to injure him, so we decided to go with a custom built seat specifically made for AJ.  We couldn't be happier with the purchase.  Everyone at The Joie of Seating was awesome and walked us through the measuring and ordering process.  Since then, they have followed up too which is always nice.  AJ will not strap into a racecar anytime soon if it doesn't have a Joie of Seating seat in it.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:32:56 AM »

I too went with the Joie of Seating people for both my kids. As of yet we don't have a device. Our thoughts were that if the kid is not upright in the car(like all cars are designed to sit in) the device would only keep their head out of the frame of the car in the event of an accident.
The device is on the list of purchases in the next year.

Have one seat in and another one on order.

I have also seen cars that use the "bead seat" or have custom foam seats made. I thnk they are great also but lack one critical thing, that is the head rests on the side like the Joie of Seating seats have.

Kris Walker
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »

My daughter uses a HANS and really likes the padding between the hans and the seat belt.  We use a kirkey seat with dual head rests.  We too have had some big hits and she has never complained about her neck.

Tyson
gass
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »

My son has a Hutchins device.  We have a few say that the head and neck restraints were too expensive.  I would never put a price on a safety.
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »

We just began running Jr. Novice.  We tried both R3 and HANS, my son felt the HANS was much more comfortable.  And when a 5 yr old is not comfortable, boy will he let you know!

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: