USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:40:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Live streaming from Tampa  (Read 32297 times)
BARRY LANDAU
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »

I must say that the Live steam was very cool, the kids did a great job also and look as if they were having fun but as far as the operation...........come on. The track was played up to be that "Tampa" has the greatest new Quarter Midget Track in the world........it was some guy's back yard. NO guard rails........is this even legal ? What happen to the 150 cars that were suppost to be there, I counted 36 cars and the production was clumsy, non-respectful and where were the infield officals that are suppost to corning, I saw dads who's kids were running? I must say that in my mine that the thought was great but the planning and operations of this event was an embarrassment to the origination. Better luck not time.
nashjr13
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »

I can assure this wasn't somebody's back yard.  The facility is as good as any other track in the US.  We all wanted more cars, but I'm sure the economy controlled the car count.  USAC and the Garcia family put on an awesome weekend of racing!!!

Larry Nash
Swartz
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »

Yeah, no gaurdrails. The kart guys figured ot a long time ago that if you don't put walls and people in the way a lot less stuff gets torn up. I'd rather have a 20 foot wide sand trap than a wall any day. Stuff just loads up easier when you can roll it to the trailer.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »

It is a shame that haters have to find every thread it seems...

Ambassador Racing is a great facility!  Some people like walls right next to the track and other like a run off area then a tire wall.  Both have their advantages and their disadvantages, but both work well.  I have seen cars go into both very hard and the end result wasn't much different.  The drivers were always fine and the cars were a little torn up.

There were more than 36 cars, but not close to the 150ish that everyone hoped for.  Either way it was a good show and a fun weekend.

For the record, the track is in the Garcia's front yard, not the back yard...one helluva front yard it is...don't be jealous you haters!

I have to add that seeing that Rankine kid wind up that AA car on the long straightsaways at Ambassador was pretty awesome!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
grandma13
Feature Winner

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »

The live stream was very good.  I just wish the winners were posted as I could not sit at the computer all day and some of the kids I recognized some I did not in the pictures.

Seems like the first weekend in April will never get here but when it does hope all can come the track looks awesome, soft walls look really cool, a lot of people have worked really hard on the track.

Hope to see everyone very soon and by the way Smoke have you talked to the Ice Cream people in W. Liberty and told them we are coming soon.  So look forward to running the kids into town for that super ice cream.
colonelc
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

Just a quick FYI concerning the observation concerning the track and the officials, this track is substantially larger than many at the QM level, (I heard a few parents refer to it as "the Talladega" of QM, referring to the size and the speed generated) the dirt runoff area with a tire wall allows the cars to slow prior to making contact with a solid surface reducing the impact and preventing (as much as possible) any severe injuries.  Concerning the parents you saw on track, they were there only as "corner" workers to help cleanup any dirt/debris and to push start any cars who went "DOT" during the race, the officials running each race were USAC officials and were stationed on the outside of the track in turn one, between three and four and in the flagstand on the front straight.  Hope that this clears up any confusion, this is a great facility, run by very caring and concerned folks who work very hard to give the kids a great and safe place to run.  Come down and take a tour I think you will agree after seeing it!!
ssssmoke
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »

yeah granny, stopped in and got 3 scoops on a homemade waffle cone after cleaning the track up. they said they cant wait till the first race. i think the bullring is going to have the best racing it has seen in years. and no drama!!! Cheesy
grandma13
Feature Winner

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »

Where's mine?Huh 

Yes will take the no drama any day.  I just wish they would run all the classes so the kids running the classes that only ran in the series could race and get experience.  I know would make for a long long day just wishing.

See you soon!
LLR
Feature Winner

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 08:57:28 PM »

Hey Smoke Granny can come and get ice cream with you and your kid.I'm still in the dog house because I didn't let her know we were testing the car.I'll pay for the ice cream.:>
BARRY LANDAU
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »

Hey Mr. swartz, with regards to your post yesterday about guardrails, well you are incorrect. The karting guys do not have rails on road courses nor does other forms of road racing with the exception of Gr. Prix, now tell me where you have ever seen on oval racing were there are no rails/walls, nascar, indy, kart, sprint.............where? As far as the others that posted after mine that thought that they needed to defend.........why? My post was not meant to be negative, it was meant to be constructive so that next time while racing we do not look like or sound like monkeys kissing a football, calling someone a "hater" because of their opinion is just a sign of the name caller's low IQ. Now as far as the Garcia family, well they are the salt of the earth allowing this to take place, doing this for the kids is a great thing and I salute them. The live steaming is a great item also but if you were sitting were I was watch this broadcast, you to would of had the same opinion, not everything is perfect. Oh and by the way, opinions on this forum should be thought about not question, that is what a forum is for. Take care and remember boys it is about our kids !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:07:09 AM by SLOTWHO » Logged
Swartz
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »

As far as kart tracks go, I have never been to one that didn't have an oval track. No walls. I have been on lots of tracks that either had no walls or only had walls in front of the grandstands. Montpielier, Lima, Atica, Freemont, I think, and Waynesfield to name a few. At Waynesfield its not unusual for a car to pop over the top in turn 1 and 2 then come screaming back onto the backstretch no worse for wear. Most fairgrounds tracks are inside of a horse track. Same deal. NASCAR tracks and the like are all about getting as many butts as posible close to the action as po$$ible even if a spectator or 2 gets injured or killed from time to time. While they have made huge improvements in safety, the back of the ticket still says you wave all rights to action against the track, promoter and competitors. As far as a wall being the best way to decelerate a car, well, I think Earnhart, Bonnet, JD McDuffie and Adam Petty might dissagree to name a few. I never called you a "hater" but I respectfully dissagree with your opinion.
BTW, does this, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!, mean you are shouting or did the key stick?
magracing99
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »

I would like to know why all of these people are bashing and attacking a track and a track owner when they have never been to the facility or probably will never go to the facility? My family has raced at the Tampa track for 2 years now and I have not once seen an accident happen where the child could not continue racing due to injuries. I have witnessed more injuries at New Smyrna that has walls than I have at Tampa and also a hell of alot more damage after hitting the wall instaed of the tires at Tampa. As for the Garcia's they are great people and they are in it for the kids not $$$ or anything else so please don't descriminate a Family that you really don't even know anything about besides the nasty untrue posts that you read on a place like this one. Last but not least I am not sure why all of you people who are bashing tracks and other people are affraid to sign your real name at the end of your post!!!!

Best Regards,

Debbie Green ( TBQMRA Member and pround of it)
BARRY LANDAU
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »

Mr. Swartz, No you never did call me a "hater" while others did,(read above) and No I am not shouting at you when I do this !!!!!!!!!!! this was only meant to accent the point that I was trying to make which was that this sport is and has been about familys and the kids but reading most of the posts people are forgetting the kids........this is true, your child and my child are starting to get lost over which group is better. WHO cares, as long as your kid and my kid have fun, racing hard and are friends. We need to do this for the kids and not our ego's.
grandma13
Feature Winner

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »

Good post Debbie and I am so glad you have a family that is willing to let the young people race at their facility.  Really, why all the problems with rails or no rails.  Simple race where you want to race!  If you want to race where there are no rails then go there if you want to race where there are rails then go there.  Or if you do not care then race wherever.

We here also are very fortunate that we have a family that gives our young people a place to race and for that we also are very thankful.  The club had just installed soft rails so that should be interesting to see how they work.

Although I only got to see the facility on the live stream it looked great to me.

Keep up the good work in Tampa Bay area.

Joan Longbrake, AKA granny
Swartz
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »

Gotta at least have the discussion. Otherwise, stuff like safety never improves. You are a good person "granny" but sometimes I wonder about that boy of yours........... Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: