USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing (Rookie Classes)  (Read 9950 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: March 13, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »

So...in section 718 of the Technical Specifications posted in the Owner's Garage it says:

A. Quarter Midget:
1. Rookie Classes:
Honda GX120 motors as specified in the technical manual
2. Honda 120
Honda GX120 motors as specified in the technical manual
Timing max is 20 deg. (with key or flywheel)
...and so on and so on through all the classes.

When I read that it makes me wonder if I can get away without running 20 deg of timing in my son's car for the Rookie class (Tier 2 style without the key).  I am going to ask my local club too, but figured I would put it out here for thoughts too.  Am I reading it right?  Is there some other technical manual somewhere besides what is located in the Owner's Garage?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:29:04 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
ANB1
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »

hi Scott, there will be those on here much more versed on this topic than me but my son ran novice last year and it was our first year with the key --20 deg timing and heard from many that pushing back to the timing has affected permormance and speed.  So I think having timing greater than 20 wouldd give you an advantage that technically isn't right.  You should be able to find the keys from the qma guys who had to get a tier 3 flywheel and it is much cheaper than a flywheel...there are probably people at your club who'd give you one.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »

I believe what they are saying is that unlike the QMA that required we all blow $80 on the Tier III Flywheel to enforce the timing that you can do it with *either* the Flywheel or Key. If by Rookie, you are referring to Jr/Sr Novice, there is no reason to seek and advantage in that class. It is just designed to learn the basics so you can move quickly to the other classes, IMO.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »

I am talking about the novice/rookie class...I am not worried about the key or the flywheel...I already own both...My son's USAC engine has the keyway in it because that is what was in the car when we bought it.  Our other engine, which we will use when we run QMA tracks, has the Tier 3 flywheel that we put on it when we started late last season.

I am less concerned about getting my son an advantage...but more concerned about making sure he isn't handicapped if he is running against others that have an advantage if their dads read this the same way I did.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
two_tenths_off
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »

Well my experience may be atypical but I will offer it. In my experience in Novice there is such a large spread in driver ability and experience that timing of the motor - with a restrictor plate on it - is not going to be that big of a deal. In other words, I would simply concern myself with learning what you need to learn, and making the required progress in Novice and then go race in your class. If someone is fudging the timing in Novice so be it. While it is a thrill for the Novice driver to get a victory lap, dominating Novice does not translate to dominating Sr. Honda - so that is not the goal of Novice.....just my experience.
gadams
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »

when we put the key in my sons motor there was no notable change in performance the restrictor plate affects performance nore than the key or flywheel, for those interested ziggy still has keys available .
ANB1
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 12:13:53 AM »

I must have misunderstood your post...the key(w/tier 2 flywheel) or the tier 3 fly wheel both get you to 20 deg and timing is timing so there is no advantage of either.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: