USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 12:14:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: need motor help for this weekend  (Read 11474 times)
gadams
Veteran

« on: January 11, 2009, 07:11:56 PM »

i am in need of some advice, i cant get my sons car to stay at an idle, and as soon as you let off the gas it dies, it also dont want to come up in rpm right, so if there is anyone in the columbus ohio area that can give me some assistance before saturday it would be most helpful, the motor is a novice motor if that helps......
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

Hopefully it is just something simple like junk in the carb. Take it apart for a good cleaning. It's easy to do, just make sure you've got a clean work area I unsually put a towel on the workbench and go to town. There aren't that many pieces, just pay attention to how you take things off, use carb cleaner and compressed air, then put it all back to gether. I bet that will do the trick.

Sometimes for a quick fix if you've got this issue while on the track turn the engine over backwards (if on cart spin tire backward or if in pits just roll the car backward till the engine turns over completely to "blown out" the junk as opposed to forward sucking in. You can tell when the puff of gas blows out of the carb intake. No guaranatees, but it usually works.

Tony

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
lnrracing
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »

If you are still having issues, make sure that your jet needle hasn't fallen out of your carb?  Worth checking out. 

Lincoln Chapple
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:12:38 PM »

If you are still having troubles this weekend I can let you use one of my carbs to see if that cures your problem. Just look me up at the indoor.
Eric Rankine

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:33:47 PM »

Easy fix!!!  Your pilot jet is plugged. Pilot jet is external and can be removed without tearing apart the carb. Remove the black idle adjustment screw, the black plastic piece under the head is the pilot jet. Take a baby screwdriver and carefully pry it out and throw it away. Larry Ebert will have new ones. Popping a new one in can be a quick fix but 9 times out of 10 there are still tiny pieces of crap still in the idle circuit. When putting your new one in put some light oil on the o-ring, not WD-40, and it will pop right in. If your timid on pulling apart your carb we can go through it in about 15 min. down at indoors.

Jeff Clouse 
BuckeyeQMDad
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »

Kudos to all on this post. THIS IS WHY I'M GLAD TO BE A PART OF THIS SPORT. Not all of this he said- she said, your pissed- I'm pissed crap that's been flowing around lately. Helping one another out is a pretty cool thing. Wrecks suck, but it is EXTREMELY REFRESHING to see 5 handlers/dads working on a car in the pits trying to get it back out on the track. That's the kind of stuff that make this sport so enjoyable. 

Keep it flowing gentlemen, keep it flowing!

Tony Crandall
BQMRA Indoor Rookie Director
TysonThompson
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »

One more thing.  Do you have a gasket on both sides of the restrictor plate?  That is a common error in novice.
GB3
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

Try running the engine without the plate, I have a similar problem but only when the plate is in.
Gary Barnett
gadams
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:42:11 AM »

thank you all for all the tips and helpfull advice that is one thing i truly like about quarter midget racing, you are all helping a perfect stranger who is lost, my son will be glad to know he will get to race this weekend because of the help of all who responded to my post, good luck to all of you this weekend
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: