USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:07:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: QMA Does it again  (Read 35333 times)
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 08:55:12 AM »

(Quote from Walker23) "On the radio broadcast Tisone attributed the decline in QMA memberships to the economy."

Here are some figures I would be worried about that can contribute. 

QMA 2009 total publicity/promotion expense $24,723.02
QMA 2010 total publicity/promotion expense   $7,606.19   

QMA cant afford now to spend money on publicity/promotion but are able to spend $16,089 on Per Diem for 3 grands combined in 2010. Thats just food and drink at 3 races for NBOD, doesnt include travel and room expense.

I hope more and more members are now seeing the light. 
Mrneg
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »

Ever notice that as soon as some people get elected to the NBOD they all of a sudden start attending all three Grands, either to race or to support their QM related business.
Ezone
Veteran

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

While I agree that QMA NBOD has made decisions that I disagree with, I also see issues with USAC.  This will likely be our last year as the USAC programs and changes at local tracks are making the sport too expensive and instead of this being a kids sport, it becoming a childhood profession if you want to be competitive. 

Unfortunately -- I want our kids to enjoy their childhood and that means it cannot be racing only.  One of the concerns I had when we went USAC was that the cost to be competitive would increase.   It has.  Not necessairly from a component level (tires/motors), but certainly if you want to attend and be apart of both local and national events.  It becomes cost prohibitive, and if we just race a few events, we are better off buying a boat, or taking periodic vacations.  Both organizations are taking all the fun out of the experience. 

Please dont take this wrong -- the people we meet are great.  It becomes purely a cost-benefit analysis.  We wish all of you well.
d4hall
Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:10 AM »

Ezone,

I can understand your concern with the cost to travel and compete at the USAC GNT level. In our area (Ohio, Indiana, That state up north) we still have the same number of local opportunities as well as "Regional" opportunities as we did back when we ran with QMA. Without going to all the GNT races you can still have fun and be competitive and enjoy the sport.

Just my opinion.

Dale Hall
Columbus, Ohio
GB3
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »

Thats M I C H I G A N Dale Smiley or if easier MI Its not that hard try it . LOL You wont turn into a smurf overnite. Heck some of us even bleed GREEN. LMAO
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »

I suppose the Regional format was free to run.

Almost every form of racing has a national touring series. With QMA both the Grands and regional series were expensive to run. And as far as QMA recognition, that's all there was. At least USAC has created a format that allows you to run only club races and still be recognized nationally. In addition to providing a touring series.....
Ezone
Veteran

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »

I am not for one or the other as an organization nor against.  Both have good and bad points.  The issue is that most kids dont have a chance of ever recieving anything.  Each year there are more events at all levels, national and local.  If you dont run -- less seat time, equals less of an opportunity to practice and do well.  The parity level seems to be widening (at the equipment level).  There is such an opportunity to cheat, and people do.  Kids in other sports, have a much shorter season, they also have a much lower cost - benefit ratio.  Although USAC is growing, canabilzation is part of that growth and once new people realize the commitment required you will have some attrition.

We have made some new freinds and will miss them, but it the right choice for us.
USAC Developmental
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »

To respond to EZONE's comment we certainly understand the time, effort and energy put into running .25 Midgets as a family, not to mention the financial commitment.

With that being said we feel we have set up several stages/series to compete and be part of a National setting without leaving your geographic area.  We understand the "Gen Next" Tour while popular is not for everyone so there are these other options:

1.  National Award Series - Drivers can compete at the local club and not leave his or her home track.  This was also designed to bring excitement and participation to the basis of what we do our clubs.

2.  Regional Series (Midwest Thunder, Ohio Championship) - These are contested between clubs in a geographical area

3.  National Sub Series (Dirt Triple Crown, Mid Atlantic Championship, Southwest Swing) -  These are designed for clubs within a geographical area like the regional series

All these series offer end of the year awards and allow families to compete closer to home and hopefully control cost

Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 09:41:22 PM »

Ezone,
I am a bit confused by your post.  We ran QMA for 3 years and did a couple regionals...but I really did not care for them.  There were only a few we could get to, they seem unorganized and too political.  I had to judge a couple times and got yelled at and flipped off, etc.  Really did not care to do them, but wanted to do something more then just club...what else was there?  It was not practical to run all the regionals...so we did not garner enough regional points to do anything in points. 

With USAC, you have more choices.  We have Midwest Thunder series here in the Midwest.  We also can run the Ohio State championship series (we did run Tri-City under QMA too), and club stuff.  Then, I hit the NAT stuff if it is close enough to run.  Two years ago we raced 3 Nat events and finished 9th in Hvy Honda points...but only running 3 events, that accomplishment was not recognized.  Last year I was determined to run the minimum required races of 5.  We ran the 5 and he again finished 9th in Hvy Honda USAC Nat points...but nobody outside the top 3 was recognized.  Knowing we cannot afford to run all over the country for fun (no purse money), we scaled back this year.  But even scaled back...we will have a LOT more opportunities to race then we had in QMA.  So we don't run CA, New MX, NC, TN, etc.  We will run Mac-o-chee so we can run Indy, Kalamazoo (because we live in MI), and Eldora...Dirt rules!  Ya, we could run a 5th so we meet the minimum required to be recognized in National points...but running 5 of them will not be enough to garner a top 3 in National points...so what is the point?  I will take those other National weekends and go camping or run a non-USAC dirt event somewhere. 

We raced 3 cars in 3 classes last year...raced 34 weekends...signed in for 47 events!  Not a single one was QMA!  Some were not sanctioned...just fun arena races or dirt shows.  So...don't run the National series...it is not a heck of a lot different then the Regional tour in QMA and if you cannot make them all, it means little anyway.  So....just load up the cars, find an event, USAC or QMA or unsanctioned...and go have fun!  Stay close to home and enjoy the time with the kids.  That is what it is all about in the end anyway.  My kid is now 16 and I have a dirt late model (mine) sitting in the shop he could jump into!  But...he has only been able to enjoy 5 seasons of QM racing and he still loves it...loves the friends, family, and fun...so we opted for run another year in QM racing.  I am sure we may find a way to test the LM on some of those National weekends that are too far away for us to travel to! 

Basically we can do just as much if not more racing now not running any QMA events then we did or could when we raced QMA prior to USAC. 

Brad
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

Well said James!  I had not seen that before I posted.  Sorry.

slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »

Lets get serious folks!  USAC rules!  This is our 8th year racing qm's and I am totally pumped up about the opportunities that USAC has provided for our children.  Races at Disney World, Eldora, Indy, Milwaukee.  Many of these races are held in conjunction with sprints, midgets, and now indy cars!  I can attest for one thing only, since USAC has started promoting the .25 midgets, the FUN factor has incresed 10 fold.
    Thanks USAC!

I agree with you OutlawQMracer,  If the parents would try to have as much fun as the kids and quit worrying about points and who spends how much on whatever then they would appreciate it more. If you just go run the races you want to and quit worrying about points you will have a lot more fun.I get a real laugh at how some of the parents actually think this is a fast track to Nascar and their kid is the next big thing to get behind the wheel.Those are the same people spending their kids college fund on racing only to be heart broken when they realize the reality of the situation, There are no Nascar scouts at QM races.
Hope everyone has a good race season and has fun , I know we will.   Dirt Rules!
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »

Points chasing doesn't sound like much fun. What sounds fun for my kids is racing at Eldora, Brickyard, Milwaukee, and being treated very well. Sure there are the select fortunate few who have a ton of money to haul their kid all over the country thinking they will be one of 43 drivers somewhere someday, maybe. I don't thinnk there is a single parent that hasn't had that thought. But reality sets in quickly, and begin to think about what makes the sport fun..

We will do the close GenNext races, some Midwest Thunder, and ofcourse the club races at our home track, Toledo. Plenty of oppertunity for seat time that way. I just didn't see a need to be yanking my kids out of school and driving across country (or hiring someone to drive while we fly) for a fun weekend. Some of us still work too! We will have plenty of fun weekends, this summer.

Kris Walker
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: