USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:02:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: QMA Animal Engines  (Read 10298 times)
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« on: March 31, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »

I commend the NBOD of QMA for doing what is right.

http://quartermidgets.org/Article_View_Page.asp?ID=1678

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:35:31 AM »

OMG!!!  Can we all take a breath now?
No really, WHO CARES?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »

Ummm...I do!  I know many others that wanted to race both organizations this year too so I know I am not alone.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »

I wouldnt break out the champagne just yet. I'll bet you will still need 2 motors.
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »

Jeff, can you explain the new differences?

Kris Walker
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »

We will see when the Tech Manuals are posted, but from the conversation I had with Tom last night, he indicated the specs were going to be the same for the engine as they are for USAC. 

We didn't get into discussing the restrictor or what they are going to do there, but that doesn't really bother me if that is different.  Changing carbs and settings for each of the organizations isn't too big of a deal in my opinion as long as we can run the same engine.

He did say they weren't going to allow any milling/decking on the block, but from my understanding the new blocks are coming from Briggs pretty close to the current USAC spec so this shouldn't be a problem.  If you are going to run both, you should speak to your builder about your engine and see if your block falls within the QMA specs.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »

Like Scott said we'll see when the specs are released. Dont know why decking the block is such a sin since every major sanctioning body allows it, ie WKA, also make writing the rules easier. No pop up, no angle mill, done.....None of this "well the surface appears to be non stock". 

Being or attempting to be "box stock" only cost you money.
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »

That is good for those who are going to run both sanctioning bodies.  Makes a LOT of sense.  Now if they will just reverse their decision to get rid of the Honda platform...they may be able to keep pace a little better with USAC.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »

I don't really think removing Honda's was the right decision on their part, but I don't think USAC is exactly hitting a home run regarding Honda engines right now either.  Something has to give and I think that will happen very soon (after this season I hope).  I get all the reasons why the Thai engines aren't allowed.  However being told to try to find a used engine out there and then send it to your builder to have it gone through and hope it is still usable isn't really a good solution for a family with a kid that is growing up and needing to move up (Yes, I have been told those exact words regarding trying to move my son into 160).  Since the engines aren't consistent, just let us pay our engine builders to make them consistent or get rid of them too.

Maybe we need clone engines in Quarter Midgets!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
MurrayPerformance
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:02:07 PM »

Give me a call, I have several really good Japan 160's for sale.  980-622-0461 
Chris
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: