USAC Racing Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:07:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rule differences between QMA and USAC only? no politics!  (Read 14339 times)
RacerZ
Rookie

« on: February 09, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »

I'm new to quarter midget racing and would like to know the rule differences between QMA and USAC only. I don't want to argue on who's better just the facts, I just want to go racing with my kids, and I may race with both groups. So,,,,, I have read both 50+ pages of rules and the only thing that I could find different in the 120 class is the flywheel, tires and the Thai head illegal.

USAC can run the stock flywheel with offset key, QMA must run aftermarket flywheel and straight up key. Spec Hoosier tire with USAC and Thai head is illegal in USAC.

Can the above information be verified and if there is any other rules that I'm missing, whether its in the 120, 160 or other classes please let us know, there is many wondering the same thing. thanks 
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »

RacerZ,   Are you interested in just the engine differences or all the differences? If you are looking for much more information you might have to wait as QMA is right in the middle of making a bunch of rule changes so it makes it a little hard to do a comparison at this time. Once they sort it out and officially publicize their changes I am sure there is someone that sort all of that out for everyone.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
RacerZ
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »

Well mainly engines. The chassis, suspension and bodies are hopefully the same.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »

"The chassis, suspension and bodies are hopefully the same."

No, they aren't the same.  Here are some off the top of my head, but I am sure I missed some too.

Rear Axles: USAC allows Carbon Fiber, QMA does not.
Width: USAC center of tire to center or tire can be 36", QMA 34"
Seat Belts: USAC says replace every 4 years, QMA says every two years
Firewall: USAC allows holes for the belts to be attached to the chassis, QMA does not.
Rookie/Novice: USAC recommends a second switch on the top of the car, QMA requires it

Like Eric said, QMA is still creating their 2011 rulebook after the recent National Meeting, so there might also be more changes coming down over there.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »

Go race both and have fun. We don't change anything and go through tech and safety with no problems.

STAY AWAY FROM THE POLITICS. Remember this is something for you and your family.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »

Z, I think you pretty much have the just of it. An easy rule of thumb if you were QMA legal in 2009 your USAC legal. One thing, if your bringing an old 120 out of retirement and gonna use the flywheel key, it doesnt have to be logoed. Only spec is timing.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:55:26 PM »

We race both, and have minimal discrepancies. You'll be able to find the common ground fairly easily. Just remember to change out the restrictor plates (if applicable) with the QMA or USAC stamps. Get your motor builder to set you up with one that's QMA and USAC legal. (No Thailand). Carbon fiber axles are not allowed in QMA, so stick with aluminum or titanium.

Spec tires are different: Hoosiers for USAC and Vegas for QMA.

Rules might be slightly different, but manageable. And you'll have to participate more with QMA (judging).

QMA is phasing out the Honda motors in the next few years, so keep that in mind. USAC hasn't gone that direction... yet. QMA is phasing in three Animal classes as replacement, starting with Juniors. USAC already has three Animal classes and the car count there is more established.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »

How old is the kid you are starting?
RacerZ
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »

thanks guys for the response, very helpful.

9 and 10, both starting in 120 Honda

If you had a choice between 160 Honda or Animal, and weighing the future of the 160 motor and initial cost of each, what would be a better choice. thanks again
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »

I'd say Animal

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
2fast4u
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »

Animal for sure. You can start and finish your childs career with the same engine.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »

No doubt Animal.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:28:20 PM »

Why not World Formula?
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »

There is that pesky little rule about having to race an "unrestricted" class for a full year before you can run a World Formula.  That class is a couple years out for these kids.

I guess I should ask what track though as at some tracks you can go right from Rookie to World Formula. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: