USAC Racing Forum
March 18, 2024, 11:00:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: hearing and radios  (Read 5468 times)
Offset
Veteran

« on: December 01, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »

Does anyone have any experience competing with a deaf or hearing impaired driver?  I ask due to most tracks requiring one way radios.
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »

No, but.........I drove for over 25 years and radios were illegal then. My son drove quarter midgets for 6 years before the raceviers were allowed and at times we had issues with them, battery going dead, wrong channel, etc. They are a big help in most cases but I don't see where not being able to use one would be an issue. Just making the flagman and race director aware should solve the issue. Good luck and have fun.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:50:34 PM »

I think it is imperative for the race officials to continue to use signals when directing race procedures with the raciever as an added support. This is how it is at every track I've been to. So I don't see any real issues if the kid knows his signals.
TQ97
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:01:23 AM »

Yes,  my son has some hearing loss, but its only with certain words etc.  He's always said he hears the radio but I always tell the race director just in case.
Offset
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:09:45 AM »

My son has problems very high frequency sound.  We were at Children's Hospital yesterday to get impressions for new hearing aid ear molds and found out they make ear buds from the same impressions if you'll supply ear buds to go into the ear mold.  I'll know the final cost in two weeks but, it should be under $ 50.00.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: