USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:53:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing Loss - Ear Molds - Columbus Indoor  (Read 16892 times)
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »

Dawn Flinn from EarEVERYTHING will be coming to the Columbus Indoor .25 races this weekend from Indianapolis Indiana to give a short seminar about how to protect our kids hearing as well as our own. The seminar will last about 15 minutes and will be held right after the handlers meeting. After the seminar Dawn will be taking impressions for anyone that is interested in ordering custom ear molds to be used with your raceceiver. More Information can be found on the earEVERYTHING website.

This will be a very informative and eye opening experience.

http://eareverything.com/sportsproducts.html

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
wesracing
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »

Eric,
     Not that money would get in the way of protecting my kids hearing, but out of curiosity, did they give an estimated price on a set of these? Thanks.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

Sarge,   They are not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. They retail for $240.00 but I think we are going to get a small group price break if the interest is there. There are some features about these specific ear molds that sets them apart from most of the others out there. They come with a 3 month warranty and the biggest feature is that they can be repaired. Most of the other high dollar ear molds are non-repairable. Another nice feature Dawn has talked about is as your kid grows she can modify them as necessary to keep the custom fit. The price might be out of most of our budgets but in the long run the hearing for us and our kids is PRICELESS.

I wish I had been educated many years ago....even though I dont know if I would have done anything about protecting my hearing at the time. After racing sprint cars for many years and being around racing I am paying the ultimate price today...HUH ?  yeah.

Eric Rankine
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
wesracing
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »

Although I won't be at indoors this weekend because I still don't think I could drive 4 hours in a vehicle yet, I would be interested. I will call them and tell them to put my name in to help get the group rate and I will take Wes down to Indy to have his impressions made. He has sensitive hearing and we had to have this done once before so he could attend monster truck shows, sprint car ,and nascar races. Of course they didn't have the speakers in them to work as ear buds. Thanks for the info.
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »

We are getting the molds done here locally next week and send in the molds out to Dawn to make the finished product.

Kris Walker
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »

Wow, 240.00 !  I had Racing Electronics do ours in Charlotte. they were 139.00! They are the ultra soft . I sent them impressions done by ear doctor. ( 30.00)  the good thing is when our dog chewed on them( true story) I had to get some new ones asap ! They keep your molds on file and i had a new set in 4 days! Racing radio work with NASCAR, etc.

http://www.racingelectronics.net/index.php?event=store&action=products&item=ear_molds 

call Davin 1-704-886-1661

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »

If you have a Sam's Club near you that has a hearing center inside, they also make custom molded ear buds and are very affordable.  We are getting AJ's done there.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »

earfuze.com

Less than $40. Mold it yourself. Works great.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe it is $49 to have the molds done at the Sam's by me.  They make them so you pop in the ear buds from pretty much any standard head sets into the mold.  Then if you rip a wire or anything, you just get a new cheap head set and pop the new one in.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:18 PM »

I am talking about custom earplugs that have a speaker in them. The molds we had done were done professionally at a ear doctor, say 30.00 and then sent to Racing electronics with small ear phone pieces . they fit perfect and my son can hear. 150.00 is a small price to pay for my sons ears, it amazes me how  see many buy 1k axles but cannot spend  the correct money on safety, etc. I still see many of you racing with cheap collars instead of a hans , etc.  still.   

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »

Hey don't knock the cheap stuff, Kevin!  Wink Earfuze works great, and it custom-fits your driver with a decent headset. We use the racer version with right and left ears a separate color. Best part about this is, it's inexpensive enough that you can have an extra one in your trailer, and if one breaks, you can have another ready to go in less than 30 minutes. I mean, really. These are kids. They're going to break things (we've killed a set already). I can think of better ways to spend the extra $100-$200... tires, spindles, lots of rods...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:46:25 PM by CrewChief6 » Logged

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »

I too am talking about a custom earbud, with a speaker in it, for about $49 for the molds and $15 for the speakers.

A friend has the $175 dollar ones that were done at the tracks this year and already his is ripping and the speaker has fallen out.  So I examined it really close before putting it back together and guess what it is...A rubber molded earbud with a speaker in it.

Knock it all you want, but a custom molded piece of rubber with a speaker in it, is a custom piece of rubber with a speaker in it.  Some cost $200 and some cost $30, but in the end if it is molded to the kids ear and has a tight fitting speaker in it, it is going to protect just the same!

As far as criticizing people's decisions about what safety equipment to buy for their kids and not...I deleted what I originally typed and will just leave it at this...Everyone has different tolerances, budgets and opinions and at the end of the day if a parent has piece of mind that their child is safe, then that is their decision and nobody else's.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »

I AGREE , If these  work for you , I do not blame you , I do not see 240.00 for a set though. Ours are a soft gel type material... only problem is that you have to get them done every year, because of growth.

Lawson Ingold Racing
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »

Dawn from Ear Everything has agreed to come to the Midwest Thunder Championship Series - Last indoor event of the year at Columbus.

We bought a couple of pairs and we love the quality and the sound. If you are at the indoor ask Ross how he likes them and he can show them to you. If anyone else bought them let everyone know what you think too.

She will be there on Saturday only and will be setup in the sign in room right after the handlers meeting.

Eric Rankine
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
Walker23
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:28:08 AM »

After seeing her product compared to the popular less expensive standard. I would say her product is far superior.

Glad she will be there!

Kris Walker
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: