USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:22:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Youth Safety  (Read 8743 times)
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« on: December 07, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »

A Youth Safety conference was held in Indianapolis at the IMIS-INDY trade show and it was very informative. They talked about many important subjects that relate to our kids and safety.
Dr.Terry Trammell was just one of the guest speakers.

Items that were discussed:

Psychology of the Competitive Young Mind
Hearing Protection and Hearing Loss
Helmets and Head G's
Helmet Testing - Snell Sticker
Mild Traumatic Brain Injury - Concussion
Head and Neck Supports

I will try to post links to some of the information that was presented to us at this meeting. I would encourage everyone to take some time and read through these documents to learn more on how to protect our kids. I learned a lot and will be making some changes to the way Ross and I do things going forward.

Here is a great link about concussions that we were given: http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/sports/index.html

Hearing loss and prevention is going to be the biggest area we work on. More to follow on that subject.

This is a open forum and it would be great to keep this information, questions and comments coming to help educate all of the USAC .25 racers and families.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:43:13 AM by sprintcar39 » Logged

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
ssssmoke
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »

im a firm believer in the head and neck restraint. we watched a video of my sons race and was able to watch it frame by frame in slow motion. we were initially watching the video to see what caused an accident and to see what we could improve on, when we noticed that after being hit on the left rear that his head snapped 90 degrees. it was disturbing to say the least. this accident was what i considered to be minor with no damage to the car. my driver felt no pain and it was not an issue till we watched the video. im not saying it caused any harm to him but it was enough to start being proactive!! lets keep in mind that we need to keep our children not only safe now but keep them from feeling any long term effects.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:29:20 PM »

Thanks for sharing the info Eric.

Like ssssmoke's son, my son also suffered a hard hit to the left side during his rookie season. A video showed his head snapping hard to the left on impact. Almost two years later, Isaak still has some minor neck issues. After the incident, we got him into a head-and-neck restraint, plus a seat, and he's been okay through several hard wrecks plus a flip. The best $$$ I ever spent.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »

was your son wearing any head device?

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »

He didn't have a restraint for that first crash when he was a rookie. Now he's using the Hybrid Pro Rage, which also protects him in angular or side impact. He survived a hard sideways impact this year with no injuries.

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
IndyQMDad
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »

Eric,

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, I was in Chicago on business and unable to attend myself. I look forward to reading any additional information you learned at the conference. Hats off to everyone involved in making this program available at IMIS.

I wrote a little blog about some of the safety related things we see/hear as a safety equipment retailer. Most of it is basic, common sense, but I thought the group may find some value in it. I posted it to our Facebook page for easy access. Check it out if you have a few minutes;

http://www.facebook.com/notes/performance-racing-products-inc/tis-always-the-season-to-think-about-safety/110631935674283

Happy Holidays!

David
racemom2000
Feature Winner

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:13 PM »

Eric,
Thanks for sharing. Smiley

Katherine Weaver
www.noahweaver.com
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: