USAC Racing Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:46:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: .25 Banquet  (Read 9034 times)
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« on: October 04, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »

I would like some clarifications on the banquet for the .25. My understanding is that for our Banquet, which is suppose to be upscale for the kids is not to be. I have heard that we are having some type of stadium seating and reservations are not needed to attend. The only reservations are for the banquet for the upper class series and not .25. So, what is the dress codes, and etc. There are a lot of people out there that think the .25 banquet is just more than an hour to honor our boy's and girl's for their achievements. At just about every club I know has a very nice banquet with activities and food for the kids to enjoy each other one more time before they say goodbye for the winter. It is a long way for some of the participates to come just for an hour. I know for $60 we can stay and eat and watch the upper class banquet and that is nice, but it is not for our kids. There are around what, 50 or so receiving awards and only an hour to do so, that really is pushing them thru for all the hard work over the last 7 months. Just my opinion and I would like to know if anyone else feels the same way.

Thanks,
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »

Mike,
I am and have been pro-USAC since they started the .25 stuff, and remain pro-USAC. We have enjoyed our QM experience a ton more with USAC then we did with the other organization.  I am also very vocal in my opinions and veiws...most know where I stand.  I have raced UMP and other series myself over the years and have been a racer for well over 20 years.  So I have seen a lot that works...and a lot that does not work.  As DW would say...it sperience!  I have shared my thoughts on the lack of a dedicated .25 banquet this year.  Last year the whole season (inagural season) seemed to be about the kids.  This year...there was in my opinion a marked difference. 

Last year at the dedicated .25 banquet, things were very classy and it was an AWESOME end of the year event for the families and kids!  The kids...ALL of them that raced in USAC .25 could afford to come to the banquet.  All that came got some sort of award, even a door prize.  The banquet was about .25 racers only!  That makes those kids feel special, they were the stars of the show...not just the one's that won the series, but any that raced in USAC .25 events.  They are kids...they should all feel awarded for their efforts. 

From a personal standpoint, my son finished 9th in Hvy Honda in 2009, but only ran 3 events, not the 5 required to get on stage and be recognized.  He was kinda bummed, but that is the rule and I understood that going in...so hey, what should we do in 2010?  We will be sure to run the minimum 5 and get him in the top 10 again so he can get on stage and be recognized at that very cool banquet!  We did just that...competition was much tougher, but we made the commitment and ran the 5 events and finishing 9th again in Hvy Honda!  Then the .25 banquet goes away and only the top 5 get recognized and as you stated, at the big banquet with a high price tag and all the other kids who also raced all year do not get to enjoy as a end of the year gathering. 

Just my opinion.

slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »

What kind of year end awards banquet does the other racing organization put on???
The only one I remember was the local club awards which were put on by the clubs.
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:05:42 PM »

The other racing organization?  Why would we want to be like them and not put one on?  LOL

After some conversation with others tonight, I realize USAC looked for a way to put on a banquet like last year.  However, with the new reach USAC .25 has all the way to California, Florida, Midwest, etc.  It would be pretty tough to pick a venue that would be suitable for all.  I understand that if they had the banquet in Indy, if you finished 7th in points and were from Florida...would you make the trip?  Probably not.  Not like you are winning any money.  Really, only maybe the champ or top 3 might be willing to make the trip from Florida or CA...or New Mexico. 

So I understand the reasoning.  But I still believe that a .25 specific banquet should have been put on so that those who wanted to come had the option to come.  And those who did not or could not, would not.  But at least the option was there.

I also understand the regional series banquets will be honoring those who did well at the National level as well, that is good! 
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »

A .25-specific national banquet would be nice, though i understand it might be cost prohibitive. Either way, why not webcast the event so those who can't attend can watch? We'd want to cheer for our hometrack drivers (even if they can't hear us).  Cheesy

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »

If my son had made top 5 and would have qualified we would make the trip from wherever we live to wherever it is so he could bask in the glory of his achievement, however at the same time it seems like a little bit less of a banquet than I would have thought they would have.  Even if it means have the parents kick in some to offset the costs so it can be a truly special event for the kids, then do that. 

I would hope we don't rest just because at USAC they do more than the other group.  In all things; if you aren't moving forward, then you are moving backwards.  Thinking it is good enough because it is better than someone else does it, is a recipe to get passed like you are sitting still.  USAC has done great things to improve .25 Midget racing and improve the sport and just having a year end banquet is really great, but let's keep the suggestions coming so they can continue to build it for the future.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 09:45:37 AM »

Here is what I have been told about the upcoming 'Night of Champions" banquet.

There is no charge to attend the USAC .25 " Generation Next Tour" series portion of the NoC banquet.

You may also remain for the rest of the banquet with no charge as long as you are NOT having a meal.

ALL of the USAC .25 drivers will called to the stage again as a group to be recognized and for additional photos during the Night of Champions portion.

While this banquet may not make everyone happy this year I will promise you that your thoughts have not fallen on deaf ears. I will bet it will be different in 2011. USAC is listening.

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: