USAC Racing Forum
March 18, 2024, 11:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: .25 on kart track  (Read 19302 times)
Swartz
Feature Winner

« on: November 01, 2010, 12:39:11 PM »

Was anyone from USAC at Eldora Sat.? The QMs on the kart track were way better.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »

Did anyone get any video of it?  I am really interested in seeing how they did?  Were the speeds a lot higher?  How drastic was the gearing compared to a normal 1/20th track?

Is the kart track there 1/5th?

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
bulletbob
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »

We run on 1/5 mile trakcs with quarter midgets.  The 120's will run 40 to 42 mph range with mylaps scoring.  Can't run much higher than 4.50 the 120 wont pull that plus we are at 6000 ft elevation.  Run modified 160's in Phx ran 41-23 didn't have 42 or 43 cars were 12.9 to 13 averaging up to 56 mph
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »

Be very careful on the bigger tracks and faster speeds, because we ran QM's on a flat 1/3 mile (Wall Speedway) inner track and when a car spun out and was hit by another car it destroyed both frames and injured a driver....... QM's are not constructed to take impacts at higher speeds. Enjoy but just be smart and careful.

Tony Lofton
Driver: Bubba #5
Lofton Family Racin'
bulletbob
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:34:05 PM »

Have barrel rolled one car 5 times had it 5 feet in the air and all it did was broke an engine hub and two heims ends.  Driver is strapped in kirkey seat with head supports, not leaning out.  If they can't take an accident like this, I wouldn't put my kids in the car.
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »

Bulletbob, rolling a car and hitting a car on the track is very different. The physics are completely different. A barrel roll rarely hurts because it dissapates energy when a crash does not. I am talking about seeing 2 cars hit and destroy both chassis's because they were going faster(50 mph vs 35 mph) than manufactured to run on a track bigger than intended(1/3 mile vs 1/20th mile).

Tony Lofton
Driver: Bubba #5
Lofton Family Racin'
Jeff Lapcevich
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »

Its not the roll that hurts.  The sudden stop does the damage
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »

I was talking about a dirt track at the start of this. They don't get the kind of grip that builds the speed you guys are talking about. That being said, I have seen chassis destroyed in accidents on 1/20 mile QM tracks a lot. Usualy when they contact a stationary object. We had the left side nerf, spuds and all, ripped off a car at mini indy.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »

The big dirt track at Eldora was fine for qm's. Gear for a Hvy 160 would be between a normal Toledo and Mini Indy, so very do-able. Safety there not a concern at all. Sustained RPM for AA's though would be, maybe not. 
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »

I was talking about a dirt track at the start of this. They don't get the kind of grip that builds the speed you guys are talking about. That being said, I have seen chassis destroyed in accidents on 1/20 mile QM tracks a lot. Usualy when they contact a stationary object. We had the left side nerf, spuds and all, ripped off a car at mini indy.

This also happened to us last year. In a Jr Rookie car no less. I think it was the most awkward angle of impact I've ever seen.
bulletbob
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »

The tracks we race on are dirt.  Yes you can build that speed on them.  We have had cars spin and get t-boned and have yet to ruin a chassis.  We are running 8 to 10 cars in each class.  There is also some outlaw tracks in PA that run on bigger tracks.  The bigger track is more forgiving for the novice drivers.  Wider and longer.  We run on 1/10, 1/20 and 1/5 dirt tracks.  Yes we should all enjoy and remeber we are putting our kids in these cars and safety is #1---don't cut corners
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 01:36:09 AM »

We did race that event at Eldora...what a blast! Running on the big track was a LOT better then the small track.  Actually safer...room to pass, spread out, and move around.  I did video it and I have many pics.  I have pics of them 3 wide in turn 1-2!  That is the beauty of it...the racing was great and 2-3 wide even through the corners was common.  Between a practice session, 2 heats, and a feature there was only 1 caution.  Gearing...we ran one tooth down from our Toledo pavement gear.  It is dirt and with the drifting a bit in the corners, the gearing is similar. 

Sorry I did not see this post earlier! Have not been here in a while...just been too busy.

Barry...welcome to USAC .25 and Toledo...I think you will find it very enjoyable for Coles last year...probably the most fun year you will have had. 

Berry and Doug...they say they are running quarter midgets at the Grand Rapids Delta Plex arena racing show on January 8th.  Do you plan to go?  Give me a call or email if you have anymore details...info so far is minimal.  We would like to go again...had a ball last year!

Brad Kendall
brad@bradkendall.com
dherndon
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »

Man, that sounds like fun.  I have a kart track just down the road from my house and am now going to see if I can get my kid on it for some laps for fun.   I'm going to have to tear it down and clean it thoroughly anyway, might as well get it good and dirty first!  ;-)

Dave Herndon
NCQMA

(P.S., Brad, point us to some pictures/video on the internet please!)
Kendall42
Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 04:17:50 PM »

I will have to upload some to my website...just need ton find the time. Maybe over the holidays.  I could put some on Facebook too...but would have to open up my profile for all to see.  The pix are cool.  The video is bad because I kept wanting to watch and coach my kid and not look at darn camera! But gives a good idea of speed and open racing.  May have to post without sound...too much of Doug and I yelling at our kids to do this or do that!  Like they can hear us...pretty comical on the video!

My website is www.kendallmotorsports.com.  I have not updated it in some time, but will soon.
DOUG GALLANDT
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »

Hey. Brad ya that was fun running that track. Sorry for screwing up your video. Lol. I'll check it out when u get it posted somewhere. That's y I can't video when my kid is on the track. Heck my wife can't even do it. She sounds like a sailor when we watch the tape. Funnier then crap.  As far as delta plex we are not running it this year. Give someone else a chance to win.  Lol. Get hold of Chad Listermen for more details.
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: