USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:58:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Class Age in regards to a Points Season  (Read 70780 times)
Jeff Lapcevich
Rookie

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »

Wes, this might be a topic for a different thread but I agree with you totally on time spent in novice.  I think prolonged exposure there is a detriment. As far as the relationship between points racing and car counts, I agree as well but there is something really special at Oaklane. They don't run for points yet get probably one of the largest weekly car counts in the country in either usac or qma and the competition is fierce. I have no stats to back it up but it wouldn't surprise me if it is the largest weekly show. Maybe toeknee could chime in here and explain why that is. What are they doing different there? It sure seems to work.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »

Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel with this. I will agree, it's not the best situation, but anything you do isn't going to really improve it. Everything I've heard proposed is essentially the same principal they have now, just with a cutoff date moved down the line. So make it better for a kid who has a birthday in July? What about a kid born in June, have things improved for him at all? Right now things are cut and dry, when you turn 9 you move up. Changing it to what I've heard a few people propose is kind of odd. If you turn 9 before this date you still have to move up but if you turn 9 after it you can stay down and finish out the year?
acracing
Rookie

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »

What is the difference if a kid joins at 9 and has to move straight to sr honda or a kid that starts at 8 and runs a partial year in jr and moves to sr honda? Do we believe a kid that goes from rookie and then to jr honda in one year is going to be chasing national points? If the kid is that good then they should move to sr honda at 9. If there is a problem with a kid at 9 to move straight to sr honda due to ability than they should be able to be in sr rookie until they feel they should move to sr honda. I think at the jr levels it is the PARENTS that are worried about the points anyways. I bet you could ask numerous 5-8 year old drivers about points vs winning  and you will find being competitive and winning is more important to them. I think that is what Jeff is saying about Oaklane not having points just hard racing.

Chad Wise   
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »

Jeff, My 8 years at Oaklane I have seen an average weekly count of 125+ cars. This year is the first time I have ever seen less than 100 cars in on weekend and a few years ago it was over 200. I think the bottomline for us is competition. We have never raced for points only for the weekly results and the competition is fierce!

I think the age thing is what it is and should not be changed. It is the luck of the birth and Bubba has a January birthday so it has worked out fine for us. He spent 5 in novice, 6-8 in jr Honda & Jr Stock. At 9 he got his lunch handed to him by 12-16 year old Sr Honda and Lt 160 studs and this has made him the strong 12 year old driver that he is in Honda & Deco classes.

I think the only thing that could be done(don't know if I would do it or not) is 3 age groups after novice(rookie) 5-7, 8-11 & 12 and up with different weights. A 5 & 10 or 9 & 15 year old should not be on the same track.

Hope to see some of you at Oaklane next year for the best racing in the country and  I hope to hit some USAC tracks after the Grands.

Tony Lofton
Driver: Bubba #5
Lofton Family Racin'
A and J Racing
Rookie

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2010, 10:08:09 PM »

The reason I stated a % of the races was to help with all the regions of our sport. I understand that we run way more out her in California then some do back east. I was more chiming in to help some of those kids that arent ready and for safety reasons of those who are in Sr Honda.

Wes I dont have a forsure way of answering when a child is ready, I think it is on a case by case basis. My little guy got moved out of Jr Rookie cause ever one said he was too fast. He would win races by 2 laps yet wouldnt pass anyone on the inside, and he would have issues sometimes lining up till we stared making racecievers mandatory. I dont believe he was ready to move up at that point just cause he would win races. We spent a lot of time working with him and my oldest son so that he is a much safer driver in Jr Honda and in turn has become a faster and better driver.. He did 4 or 5 races in Jr rookie with a winter break inbetween then moved to Jr Honda. Now next year he will start Jr Honda and he will turn 9 in August. Why not let him finish the last 3 races in Jr Honda? Keep in mind im a little selfish cause I cant stand the thought of handling 2 cars in Sr Honda at the moment.. I am more worried abour a driver who lets say starts QM racing at 8 in the year they turn 9. Essentially we end up sending those drivers from Jr Rookie to Sr Honda if they moved up to Jr Honda too quickly they only get a few races in that class before having to run Sr Honda.

wesracing
Veteran

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2010, 01:35:19 AM »

I guess I just feel the kids should be able to finish what they started. Every sport has age cutoff dates whether it be basketball, baseball, football, or soccer. They all have a certain date that if you meet the age requirements by that date then you move up to the next level of play. This graduation to the next level takes place at the start of the season. You don't see baseball leagues forcing kids to move from minor league to major league in the middle of the season. I do not have any personal interest in this whether it goes one way or another and I know this sport is a little different than others and it is hard to compare it any other sport. I guess whatever USAC decides will be it and we will all live under those rules. As I said before I have no personal interest in the issue but it was interesting hearing so many views and arguments one way or another. Chad, whether it is the kids or PARENTS running for points, the parents have to take the kid there and spend the money so even if it is the parents worried about points, it still will affect car counts.
Jeff Lapcevich
Rookie

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »

It's the same deal everywhere. Just leave it alone. Chad, I don't have your number. Give me a call when you get a chance 905-971-1510.
clouse55
Feature Winner

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:13 AM »

Easiest way to fix it is when your wife is expecting to give birth to your future racer and the due date is in middle of summer is to just have her suck it in till Oct.   LMAO!!!

magjagmotorsports
Rookie

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »

The crops must be harvested, Clouse is back!!!

Daren Garmenn
NWOQMRA
wesracing
Veteran

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2010, 12:15:43 AM »

Huh, I don't think you are gonna get the answer you are looking for here! I did not say anything about a "meaningless win"! Sorry to disappoint you but it really wasn't me GBR! If I said it, I would tell you I did!
ncracerdad
Rookie

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2010, 08:09:47 PM »

Ive sat back here and read this discussion now for a few weeks.  How can this possible age change be a bad thing?  First of all my son turned 9 in Oct of this year, so this rule doesn't apply to me or anyone I know for that matter.  Mr Freitas, it seems your the one thats the most active on this issue?  Im not here to start anything with you sir, my son raced against AJ I think the opening weekend this year in NC.  Aj seemed to be well on his way to having a great racing season.  My question to all those that don't like this possible change is this; How can every other major youth sporting organization have cut off dates, and it be wrong for USAC to try to follow suit.  My daughter played softball and had a cut off date of Jan 1. That is just one of many or actually all youth sports.  Except when we get a bunch of parents that want little Johnny to either not have to move up or get to stay racing against or not against a kid that does better, or whatever the situation would be.. I say lets get USAC .25 up to speed with other very very successfull and larger youth sports and have a cut off date, Im not affected by this, but its my thoughts. Mr Freitas, good luck to you and your son this year

Jim
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »

Although we could run Jr next year, we are moving on up to Sr and take our lickings. I have already purchased the new cars and engines to do so. I still think and agree with so many on this subject that there should be a cut-off date. No matter what happens, there will always be some that like it and some that doesn't. Good luck to everyone no matter what division you end up in next year.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes Jim.  I get to sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day for my job so I get to be active on the forums.  I don't know if that is good or bad though. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: