USAC Racing Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:12:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Class Age in regards to a Points Season  (Read 70782 times)
Jeff Lapcevich
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »

Freitas, letting the nine year old stick around will cost the 6 or 7 years old a win maybe, but they have a couple more years to get them. And I agree also that the date change isn't really effective either. If someone starts late, they start late. I think they still have to put in the time and pay their dues before they start to reap the rewards. If my son is 8 and decides he want to play basketball for the first time and tries out for a basketball team that includes kids 5-9 and he is green and doesn't make the cut; we soak it up, work at it and come back next year and try again, not find a league that caters to 8 year olds who haven't played before. What do you do with the 12 year olds that have run Sr fo three years and are dominating over the 9 years olds that just moved up or 10 year olds that just started?
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 12:14:50 PM »

So what is the difference If a 9 year old is racing against 12 and 13 year olds? He is going to get his butt handed to him. There is no difference.  I have seen 5 and 6 year old drivers come in to Jr Honda and win at regional level. I have also seen 9 year old kids win in Sr. Honda. I just don't think it is fair to a child who is 8 years old. That races half a season in Jr. Honda and has to be forced to move up because he turn 9 in the middle of the season.  How much more experence is the driver from the moment he truns 9? I think they sould be allowed to raec the full season. It doesnt matter if he has raced 3 or more seasons. No difference if he moves to Sr. Some of them kids have been in that classs a long time. Jr. Honda is not a learning class. In my opinion you are only as good as your compitition
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:25:00 PM by Barr » Logged
Jeff Lapcevich
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »

Chad I agree with you but I think it's just one of those things where there has to be a cut off and unfortunately it effects different kids differently. It also has different implications on the west coast where their season is different than ours. I've got four kids with birthdays all over the place so some will luck out, others not so lucky if they go by birthdate. If they go by a specific date, some will luck out, others not so lucky. See you in a couple weeks!
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »

I've got four kids with birthdays all over the place so some will luck out, others not so lucky if they go by birthdate. If they go by a specific date, some will luck out, others not so lucky. See you in a couple weeks!

I totally agree!  So the question is what are we trying to fix by moving it from birthday to the middle of the year?  Are we just trying to change a few kids luck?  If so, leave it alone.  If it is going to change, then my proposal makes skill/experience count some more too.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Barr
Feature Winner

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »

Jeff I guess I never really looked at it that way. Thats a good point! See ya soon!
Phil
Veteran

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »

I agree with Mr. Lapcevich.

Also 1 year non-restricted/sr.animal before W/F or AA needs to be adheared to also at all levels.

JMO   
Jeff Lapcevich
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 03:32:51 PM »

I totally agree!  So the question is what are we trying to fix by moving it from birthday to the middle of the year?  Are we just trying to change a few kids luck?  If so, leave it alone.  If it is going to change, then my proposal makes skill/experience count some more too.
[/quote]Right, so I say leave it alone.  It's not a perfect system but IMO as good as it's going to get.
acracing
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 04:29:59 PM »

I agree with what you guys are saying but just leave it as is.There would be no change other than a date??  As for winning being meaningless?? I think if you can win in this sport you better enjoy it and never say it was meaningless. My son has followed alot of kids and when he doesn't win that makes us both try harder.
Chad Wise

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »

We are saying don't change it at all.  If changing the date to the middle of the year just changes who gets lucky and who doesn't, why change it?

I agree with you on enjoying wins!  My comment about meaningless wins was to say that a 9 year old that is in their fourth season of racing getting wins in Jr because they are racing 6 and 7 year olds is almost meaningless.  It is kind of like Kyle Busch winning truck series races.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »

I hear everyone here speaking thier minds. Most have good valid points and some are just opions. This was only our second full year of racing quarter midgets and we will not get near four years of competition before having to move up. Michael is right, every win to the child does have a meaning to that child. We also, may never see Nascar but we will have as much fun as possible. I will see to it that he is equipped with the best equipment there is so that he can at least run competitive. I have heard that the date may be April and not June. What ever the date may be, as Eric said, running for points and championships will always take presence over the fun. We should all be having with our children and making the memories of a life time.

Mike Smith
TQ97
Veteran

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »

Agreed, lots of good points, and to give you a little background, I am watching very interested with what USAC does regarding this.   I proposed an RCP in region 4 this year that reads very similar to this proposed change.  While my son would benefit being a September birthday, I'd much rather have a grands or USAC national win than a club points title, and with him playing baseball and basketball and thus missing numerous club races, we aren't points racers anyways. 

So my RCP, is not a selfish one.  Rather it's one of whats best for the growth of the sport.   Eric hits the nail on the head in a lot of ways, eliminate points racing and this is no big deal.  Except for Mr. Clancy's point of confidence and success which is what I think this is all about.  Think about this.....How hard is it to get a new kid and family into quarter midget racing versus how hard is it to keep one in the sport?  You have 2 scenarios in this sport.  Typically a 5 year old starts as early as possible, maybe their family was already involved, maybe not.  I totally understand the argument that this child if by 6 or 7 is winning regularly could be very dominating as a 9 yr old JH.  If they are that good, and have been, the handler is probably going to move them up anyways, so nothing changes, they still have that option. 

Now, let's try this scenario 6 yr old runs a full year of junior novice turning 7 in the fall (some will argue thats too much time in JN...again, using Mr. Clancy's point, you have to balance confidence and challenges at this age, we had just 1 junior novice move up all year at Mini Indy at the end of the year to JH, and we regularly had 10+ JN weekly).  First real competitive time in JH or other Jr classes is in the spring, doesn't set the world on fire, takes most of the year to build up the confidence and by the fall when they turn 8 is starting to "get it".  So the next year they turn 9 before the year is up and that confidence that took a year to build and is just starting to materialize is completely destroyed as they are thrown into sr. classes to run against 12 and 13 and even 14yr olds.  How many of those kids do we lose at that point and decide, I don't want to do this?  How many kids if they had a little bit more time to build confidence up would stick with it?  Why does every other sport like Little League utilize a mid year date as a cut off rather than the birthday?   

Jeff makes a great point about starting basketball at 8 yrs old.  I would like to point out one small difference IMO....that 8 yr old while they are starting new will be on a team, not by themselves.  That team very well may be successful which can help to build that confidence for the beginner.  That 7 yr old novice who doesnt get into JH until they are 8 and then gets thrown into Sr. classes is by themselves. 

Just my 2 cents
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:43 PM »

"If it's not broke then don't fix it"  In my opinion it is not broke and no matter what you do you are going to have a handful of people that want something else.
 As far as people leaving the sport I think it is more a matter of finances and the commitment involved to be competetive and win in the Sr. classes.We all know that you have to work on these cars and setups more than just the morning of the race.
 I hope USAC leaves this one alone.

Jeff Lapcevich
Rookie

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:19 AM »

A.J. my reference wrt to the basketball player was meant to be an 8 year old who didn't make the team, not a team that lost.
TQ97
Veteran

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »

Sorry Jeff,  I misunderstood.
crew chief
Veteran

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »

I THINK WE SHOULD JUST LEAVE IT ALONE  MY 2 CENTS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: