USAC Racing Forum
March 18, 2024, 10:55:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: new animal class  (Read 21521 times)
racedude
Rookie

« on: October 11, 2010, 02:27:06 PM »

Hi, a quick question. Has anyone heard more then a rumor rgarding new class for USAC next year as Heavy Animal? If so what criteria would this class have, age? weight? etc..
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »

I like the way it is structured now and think the Jr Animal class was a great addition to give the younger kids another affordable platform to race in addition to the Honda classes.  Hopefully that will not change as my son is already looking forward to running Jr Animal again next year.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »

What suggestions do people have? for a Heavy Animal class.

Driver Weight?
Overall Weight?
Minimum Age?

Eric Rankine
USAC Director of Competition
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
USAC - HPD Midget - Midwest Series
USAC National Midget - Spike/Esslinger
skarnes
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »

Maybe the same requirements of running heavy honda .Would the heavy class run without a plate in the animal class?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:33:41 PM by skarnes » Logged
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »

I would guess that it would be a unrestricted class but it might/maybe could be slightly restricted too.

Eric Rankine
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
racedude
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:41:55 PM »

Yes, I believe it is a heavy animal class without plate. Like said prior this is not confirmed by any means just wondered if anyone else had gotten any wind of this as info for next year. This would change things a lot for us and perhaps others as to what the animal class next year will consist of. Since next year is right around the corner and many are planning now it would be nice to know if there is to be a change and or a class added.
sprintcar39
National Champion

Rankine Racing 39

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »

Here was a suggestion that was received via email for the Heavy Animal Class - Unrestricted

125# Driver weight - minimum
11 years old - minimum age
340 # total minimum weight

Thoughts?

Eric Rankine
NWOQMRA - USAC .25
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:42:01 AM »

N2O and turbos?
QMMOM2
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »

I am concerned about the possible division this comming year in the Animal classes.  We are part club that has a larger field of senior animals. As it stands now, my driver would be one of only a very few that would remain in the senior animal class.  A few of the drivers would move up by virture of weight and/or age to the heavy class.  My driver is not yet 100# and will be only 10 this year.  There are also no Junior Animal drivers that I know of this year moving up at our club.  Therefore we will be penalized by having no one to race at our weekly club races.  Unfortunatly animal has not been around long enough in my opinion to justify seperating into two classes, especially given the new national points rules.  I am an advocate of the heavy and light classes once we have enough individuals with Animal engines to have full fields to race.
slowpoke
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »

I agree  with QMMOM2 , we dont need to split classes yet. We should be concentrating on getting a Jr. and Sr. rookie animal setup so new members can purchase 1 engine.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 08:01:14 PM »

I agree with that as well.  Keep it as is for at least another season until we get more cars in it.  Then consider splitting it later if needed.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
justracin
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »

if you want to run an unristricted animal just run world formula then you dont have to add another class
magjagmotorsports
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 12:43:20 PM »

My driver weighs just under 150 pounds and is 14 years old. He currently runs Hvy 160 and Hvy WF. We've been in the sport 10 years. The new class from my perspective would keep families like ours in the sport for an extra year or so. My driver is too big to run Sr. Animal, our car would come across the scales at a minimum of about 330 pounds, 325 if my driver doesn't eat for a few days. After this many years we'd like to continue racing for at least one more but I feel we are no longer as competitive in Hvy 160 as we should be due to my drivers size. In Hvy WF we can still compete due to the 340# total weight. An unrestricted animal would be a good fill in for both the Hvy honda classes for drivers with the size and experience of my driver. The animal classes are fast classes and unrestricting it would make it even faster. Not something you want to put an inexperienced 10 year old in. Our racing budget does not allow running DECO's, plus the handler is to old to push them!!!!

Daren Garmenn
NWOQMRA
QMMOM2
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 04:12:58 PM »

I appreciate magijagmotorsport's comments,  however my 10 year old son & I have been involved in the Animal class since is inception.  This was initially in the Jr Animal class when is was just a demonstration class during his last year of his juniorr season.  In, fact we moved him up to the senior class at age 8 at the beginning of this year, before he turned 9 in May, so he could be involved in points in both senior honda & senior animal for club as well as National races.  In addition we were in agreement to let the class have a total weight up to 295 (vs 275 as originally planned) so more kids could be involved with this class initially, with the idea of at some time seperating into a heavy & light class.

I agree that he may not be quite ready to run an unrestricted Sr Animal class,  although curruent rules he is able to run world formla.  My previous point being, he is 10 & per previously mentioned by Mr Rankin, he would not qualify to run this class secondary to age and weight, however several others in our club would.  Therefore, given that at the present time there are only a limited number of Animal engines out there at both the club  & National level, he may show up at our club races next year with no one to race.  I hope you understand, but we did take a great risk buy purchasing a Animal with the hopes that this animal class would thrive and he have competition to race.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:14:58 PM by QMMOM2 » Logged
magjagmotorsports
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 07:26:29 PM »

We too were involved with the animal class, in fact even prior to its inception. My son ran the first ever Animal exhibition race at NWOQMRA. At a club level, you should be working together to run as full of fields as possible and most younger kids should still be able run the Sr. Animal division and be very competitive. I understand your issue about not having kids to race against as we did not run our club races this year due to lack of drivers in our divisions. Just because the drivers may meet the classs criteria doesn't mean they have to move, especially at a club level. However, for those of us that have traveled to the National and District events, where there are more older and heavy drivers to compete against, it would be nice to have a division that our kids could compete in. If you have a lighter driver, you can put weight where you want it and you will always hold an advantage to the drivers that are heavier and taller. So the point to this class should be to keep families involved in .25 racing longer and not making the older and larger drivers continue to be at a disadvantage because of their size. Let them race against other drivers that are similar in stature so they can be competitive on their own versus having major weight disadvantages.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 07:38:22 PM by magjagmotorsports » Logged

Daren Garmenn
NWOQMRA
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: