USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:30:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Quarter Midget Experience - Tampa Area  (Read 16200 times)
Squidman24
Rookie

« on: August 16, 2010, 03:58:39 PM »

Hello Quarter Midget Racers!  My wife is currently pregnant and we are expecting a boy in December of this year, once he is old enough I would like to get him started in Quarter Midget racing at the Ambassador Track located on CR672 in Balm, FL.  This is very close to my house and I went there this past sunday to watch the races....looks like a great way to spend time with the family and since I come from a long line of race fanatics I am hoping my son also catches the racing bug.  I was involved with late model cars up north and have some experience working on full size race cars etc however I have zero experience with Quarter Midgets.  What I am hoping is that someone reading this is already into QM racing and needs help prepping cars, rebuilding motors, chassis set up etc etc..... I live in Riverview (Big Bend/301 Area) and would be willing to donate my time helping you if you can teach me a few things along the way. Like I said my son isn't due until December so if you are already into QM racing and have some "tricks of the trade" you can share..... you can rest assured I will never be able to use them against you.... due to the age difference between your child and mine, we should never be in the same class.  Also I would like to learn about what I would need to start a prepared team (tools, trailer, generator etc etc).  Hopefully someone reading this needs help with their QM team and would be nice enough to let me learn the ropes.  Either way I'll be at the track watching/trying to learn.  Good Luck in all your races and thanks for reading!
Squidman24
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »

Did I say something wrong?  Did I come on too strong? 100+ views and no replies?  Maybe no one needs help right now?  I re-read my above post and wanted to clarify one thing, I am not looking for anyone to just "give" me all of their knowledge and tips for nothing, I know racing is also a learning game too, I am willing to watch/listen and work to learn the ropes and not have the info it took you folks years to collect just handed to me.  I believe in "earning my keep". I thought maybe my above comments may have come across the wrong way where someone could interpret my request as: "Hey I'm thinking about QM racing in the future, make me competitive from day one"..... if you took it that way I apologize.  Still hoping to find some nice folks to meet up with who can show my Dad & I the ropes of QM racing so we can enjoy it with our family as you folks are currently doing with yours.  Thanks again for reading.
CrewChief6
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »

The best place to start is to talk to the Garcias. Your son will need novice training through them before he can race.

Then just hang out at the track, and meet people. Introduce yourself to the teams out there. Race days are probably not the best day, because everyone is under a lot of pressure. We usually have practice days the day before the race. Check with the track to see what times they're practicing. Handlers probably have more time to talk then.

Next practice day is 8/28. I think it starts at 10a. Race day is the following day.

See you at the track.  Cheesy

Lyra Solochek
isaaksolochekracing.com
Sponsors: DWT, LAT Racing Oil, AMSOIL, ZeroNine, racinggraphics.com, Family Eyecare of Westchase, Circle of Life Animal Hospital
Squidman24
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »

Thanks for the reply and info!  Like I said I was there last weekend to watch the races, but my previous racing experience made me know better than to try and talk to a handler on race day..... I know that right before a race everyone is so focused on the task at hand that they don't have time to talk and socialize.  I will take your advice and attend the next practice session when people are more apt to have time to chat.
ssssmoke
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:09:41 PM »

if you was in ohio, i would be putting your ass to work. LOL
Squidman24
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:43:25 PM »

The work I could handle...... it's being made to root for the Buckeyes that would drive me insane....LOL.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »

If you want to learn to scrape tires stop by our pits anytime! Smiley  We are the white 13 cars and black 23 cars and we park right next to the pump around station.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:50:31 PM by sfreitas20 » Logged

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
Squidman24
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »

I noticed AJ's car last week while I was there, (the black one) very sharp looking car!  I will definitely stop by and introduce myself if you don't mind.  As far as scraping tires goes..... ya gotta start somewhere I guess!  I'm not afraid to sweat or get my hands dirty to learn about QM racing. And you run a race car with the # 13 on the side?? You sir are a very brave man!  If you woulda said the car # was 13 and it was green and full of peanuts I would've fell out of my chair!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:04:39 PM by Squidman24 » Logged
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »

Squidman; be prepared for this sport, i will be up front like I am as always. Its a dog eat dog sport. When others tell you , hey jump in we will help you! Good luck on those statements... also alot of politics in this sport and other parents paying for others to help their kids win. You may get some help at first , but when your son starts winning, your on your own. No one will show you their secrets, you will get those from experience.. be prepared to have deep pockets also... 

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:42:50 AM »

Squidman; be prepared for this sport, i will be up front like I am as always. Its a dog eat dog sport. When others tell you , hey jump in we will help you! Good luck on those statements... also alot of politics in this sport and other parents paying for others to help their kids win. You may get some help at first , but when your son starts winning, your on your own. No one will show you their secrets, you will get those from experience.. be prepared to have deep pockets also... 

Very true. I noticed in between win 1 and win 5 of last season the helmet slaps and good jobs went from double digits down to just a few people. It comes with the territory I guess. You'll find some of the nicest people, but at the same time you will be amazed at how competitive some people become when they start to see you as a threat.

But don't let this stray you away from the track like it did me. You'll meet some great people and the positives will outweigh the negatives 10 fold. If someone is mad at you, that usually means you're doing what you need to.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:46:27 AM »

Nicely said...

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
ssssmoke
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »

first of all when you depend on someone else to tell you thier secrets you will only be as fast as they are. if you have to depend on someone else to work on your car (novice not included) you need to step it up! if you dont have deep pockets you have to find other ways to be fast which requires alot of work through the week by you and your driver, trust me. do this and have the best time of your life with your kid and not worry about who slaps you on the helmet but what you have accomplished together. .25 racing is 2nd to none.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »

I personally could care less who tells my driver good job, however, I found it hard to explain to a 10 year old why all of those who at one time congratulated him for winning all of the sudden shunned him every race weekend and etc etc. I could go further into this but all I will say is if your driver has talent you guys better have thick skin to go along with it....I will continue to stress that QM racing is the greatest thing a family can do together, but there are negatives to go along with it, anyone who says different isn't being realistic.
Toeknee
Veteran

That's My Boy!

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 07:16:13 AM »

That's true in everything. Life ain't all sunshine and lolli-pops and the sooner you can teach your kid(driver) this leason the better. The best memories the kids have always has to do with travel and playing with their buddies. The best memories the parents have is "the one that got away".

Tony Lofton
Driver: Bubba #5
Lofton Family Racin'
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »

Very true.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: