USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:34:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Possible New Member to USAC  (Read 35244 times)
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »

Don't over do the Rookie / Novice too much. A lot of good parts get destroyed there and once the kids understand what they need to do there is nothing to learn there but bad habits. I once had a conversation with a lady who kept her kid in novice for 6 years (totaly against the rules) because she was afraid he would get hurt and then freaked out when she all of a sudden wanted him to run 160 and no one wanted to let him. My son ran 12 events in novice before going to Jr. Honda and was fine. Please remember though, this is racing. Sometimes stuff just happens.
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »

There isn't a dirt track in the south...yet. Smiley

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
goffin20
National Champion

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 12:37:57 PM »

I remember a kid and his dad that showed up to the tracks with an old Nervo 1900 in the back of a pickup truck and they kicked some butt every week.

The awesome part about this sport is you can have a Haulmark with a stacker trailer with all the polished diamond plate trimmings or you can roll in with a 12' trailer with tire racks made out of scrap wood and as long as you put in the time on the car your kid can be competitive.

It isn't what you haul your car in that matters!

Here is a link to an older, but still pretty good Novice Guide: http://www.alqma.com/novicehandbook%5B1%5D.pdf

skarnes
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2010, 10:48:15 AM »

If you are new to this sport and you are running the rookie class then there is no better time than next month at the first indoor race,Even though we only ran 6 rookie races and moved up to senior honda,We would have never been able to do as well as we have without attending the classes at the indoors.Jack Compton did very well with these kids and I'm sure Rick Newcome will do the same.
Steve
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »

Keep the fun in it for your Rookie. Talk to him calmly and please do not yell at him like some that I have seen do.
Karnes29
Veteran

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »

I will take the blame on that one, I was really hard on my boy the first day out and through his first year in sr honda, I felt like I had to catch him up to all the other kids because we started so late and it seemed at times he couldn't do anything right on the track in my eyes. After listening to a few parents that's been in this sport for a while and my wife who threatened to sell everything and get out, That he is a kid and a beginner and seat time and encouragement would help out more than anything.I think by seasons end we ended up doing pretty good in my eyes!
Steve
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 06:07:30 PM by Karnes29 » Logged
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 03:05:31 PM »

I myself had to re program myself the last few months. I decided to work on learning and driving skills and not being upset at  things... its actually working, he is now driving the best he has ever driven and right with drivers that use to lap him. A few races ago he pinched a corner spinning and I pulled him in the pits. He thought I was going to get mad at him, but I just wanted to make sure his head was clear and I told him " do not worry,  things happen, you have plenty of laps left, do the best you can do " calmly. He was surprised and went out and drove back to 3rd. Its only taken me 2 years to figure out no pressure and he does much better. I tell him now race days are fun days..  and he is really having fun now   

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: