USAC Racing Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:33:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Possible New Member to USAC  (Read 35232 times)
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 08:20:23 AM »

Give me a call.  I'm the Training Director for MAQMA.  I would be happy to help you and answer any questions you may have.  I can also explain the training program that needs to be completed prior to racing.  706-372-4480 or tim.o'donnell@cox.com

Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »

Back to the original questions. The rule book says....

12. Illegal Rookie engine parts shall be confiscated (Honda) but the suspension shall
not be levied against handlers or drivers for the first offense. The second offense
shall result in a 30 days Suspension from Rookie.

and.....

1. Rookie Classes:
Honda GX120 and Animal motors as specified in technical manual
Honda timing max is 20 deg. (with key or flywheel)
Briggs Animal Long slide (#555728) must be used - .310
max. throttle travel
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »

This was not Rookie, it was Jr Honda. Driver recieved a DQ and carb sent to USAC. According to rules it should be a 30 day suspension for all USAC races.

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 07:11:39 AM »

This was not Rookie, it was Jr Honda. Driver recieved a DQ and carb sent to USAC. According to rules it should be a 30 day suspension for all USAC races.

In that particular class.....
Bandit
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »

Yes, it was a JR. Honda and not what you call a JR. Rookie. I am looking to put my son in JR. Rookie or JR. Novice depending on what organization we choose to go with.

Thanks,
Swartz
Feature Winner

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 01:59:02 PM »

Use a Honda and do both. There is NO substitute for seat time.
Bandit
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »

Watching the live stream this weekend from Columbus, there seem to be a great number of JR. Rookies. I like the idea of coming into an organization where I know I am going to travel and not be the only car to race. That was awesome to watch. On the other hand, can someone advise me on what kind of set-up that is recommended to a first timer. At the MAQMA track there was this team or what ever you call them with this big rig and trailer, way out of my budget. I think some kid name Chandler was written on the cars that was parked beside it and another one on the hill. I know I can not afford this set-up but what is a good starter kit. Thanks for all the help. I will be getting with the trainer as soon as I get set up so we can practice and get the proper training to start racing next year.

Bandit Racing
sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »

The awesome part about this sport is you can have a Haulmark with a stacker trailer with all the polished diamond plate trimmings or you can roll in with a 12' trailer with tire racks made out of scrap wood and as long as you put in the time on the car your kid can be competitive.

It isn't what you haul your car in that matters!

Here is a link to an older, but still pretty good Novice Guide: http://www.alqma.com/novicehandbook%5B1%5D.pdf

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
miketsmith
Feature Winner

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »

He is right, it isn't what hauls your car, it is how fast your car and driver runs. We can get this kind of equipment because we have sponsors. I have a nice 3500 2008 Chevrolet dually with only 16,000 miles loaded and a 2008 pace trailer painted just like the truck well set up for racing for $60,000.00 if you want to buy it. With your kid keep the fun in it because believe me, it will not take long before you get caught up in the wanting to win all the time and the fun is gone.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
GAQMRacers
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »

AGREED.....stay in Rookie as long as you can or want to..........it was by far the most fun we had!!!!
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 12:40:43 PM »

I agree, keep in rookie class for a year, we stayed in rookie, or was called JR Novice for a year in a half. I am seeing too many move up to Jr Honda too soon, get the seat time in.

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
odogracing
Veteran

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »

So this is a discussion that could be debated for quite some time.  The rule states if your driver is 6 years of age they have 3 races or 3 months to move up out of Jr. Rookie.  If your driver remains 5 years of age during the season they can remain in Jr. Rookie all as long as you like.  There are several issues with the way these two classes are structured.   First, with kids that age; 2 years makes a HUGE difference between his or her ability to make decisions on the race track.  Be it reacting to a car spinning in-front of them, or simply understanding the driving line.  Second, there is a huge difference between a red plate car and blue plate car!  When running with a red plate you can just about put the rear wheels on the front and front wheels on the back, and it will not make a difference.  These cars just don't carry enough speed.  Not till you get into a blue plate does this start to matter.  You can't run half way down the on straight and expect the car to turn in the corner.   We ran Jr. Rookie all last year because my son was 5 years old, I was determined not to move him up too quickly for the fear he was not ready.  He did quite well in Jr. Rookie, but it was a half a year too long!  He turned 6 this past April and we moved up to Junior Honda, but since he was in Jr. Rookie for so long he now struggles with understanding how critical "the line" really is.  So, we are now working to try and break these bad habits that didn't make a bit of difference in Jr Rookie.  The good side, is he stays out of trouble most of the time, and my wallet doesn't mind that!  If your driver can compete in Jr. Honda safely get him out of Rookie as soon as possible.  It's not helping him or her to stay down there the entire year, it's only going to make the transition up more difficult.  Chances are they will be ready before you are.  They are only going to learn as much as the drivers around them.  This is just my 2 cents, and what I have experienced.  Every situation is different, and you know and your driver.  Do what YOU feel is best for them!!!!

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »

I gotta agree with that...I have said it before on here that we left AJ in Rookie too long.  If I had it to do over again, we would have moved around April of last year instead of August and we had a great rookie class with 6 or more cars every week.  He still learned more in his first two Jr Honda races than 4 additional months of rookie.

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 09:00:29 PM »

after looking back, i think we may have stayed in Jr Novice too long also. I know if we moved out of Jr Novice we would have gotten our butts kicked, but we would have been ahead of the curve. We only stayed longer due to his birthday being mid year

Lawson Ingold Racing
Bandit
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 01:56:35 PM »

Watching the Dirt Nationals on live stream this past weekend, is there a track in the south that is dirt? I doubt we would run it but would go and watch. I think when we start next season we will run a full year in Rookie because my son will not be 6 until the fall of next year. I do not think being 5 he will be quite ready to get in there and run with the older boys and girls I watched this year. Thanks for all the response and answers. I will see the folks at MAQMA in a few weeks to watch again.

Bandit Racing
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: