USAC Racing Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:33:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Red plate Honda questions  (Read 7646 times)
hotshoe8t
Rookie

« on: August 31, 2010, 06:31:18 PM »

Have a few quick questions on running gx120 with the red restrictor plate. Still learning about making these engines run, car is handling real decent, just the engine seems to be fairly flat. Only turning around 4000 rpm, started last weekend with a 36/31 on car and ended weekend with 36/27 on car. stayed fairly consistent on rpm, but picked up 3 tenths on track. A few questions that I felt could be pertinent are...

1) What size exhaust is preffered, 1" or 7/8" and why?

2) How many races in between valve spring changes?

3) Any changes to carb for red plate vs. blue plate or open?

sfreitas20
Triple Crown Champion

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:17:42 PM »

7/8" exhaust with the red plate (but don't change it if you have a 1" one already as you will need that when you move to blue plate), 3 races on the valve springs unless something happens and the engine gets over-revved (then you should change right away) and shouldn't require any carb changes. 

I hardly remember at this point, but I believe we only turned around 4000rpms when we ran the red plate.

I wouldn't waste a lot of time and resources on trying to make it fast with the red plate.  Spend your time getting your driver ready to move up to the blue plate.  I regret leaving AJ in the red plate class for as long as I did.

Best of luck to you!

Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports Inc.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:17:26 AM »

It's impossible to be competitive at 4000 rpm, saw a team go through similar headaches. One day he car went from running a standard 4850 average to 4k and lost about a second and a half a lap. Never really solved it completely, when they went up to the blue plate the car worked fine and runs comparable lap times to the fastest in the class.

The only advice I have is to get your kid some seat time in rookie while trying to figure out the problem (tweak with carb adjustment) but move him up as soon as he's ready.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:30:50 AM »

Hot shoe;  do you have a dyno sheet on the motor ?

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
hotshoe8t
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »

Hot shoe;  do you have a dyno sheet on the motor ?

No dyno sheet, motor was freshened last fall thru R-Motorworks by prior owner, but I never got the sheet when I purchased it. Motor has about 12 weeks on it, although only the last 5-6 have been at full speed. Have spent most of our time up until now just working on car setup and getting my daughter up to speed in the driving end. Now i just feel the motor is not running to par and is kinda holding her back on progress.
lawsonracing
Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 02:07:58 PM »

when ever you have a motor refreshed, it is very important to obtain a dyno sheet. This will help you determine your peak hp onthe motor. This will also help you determin gears on the car. Every motor is different. You cannot go by someone telling you to run 5300 rpm when you do not know what your dyno says . You want to run 300-500 more rpm than peak hp. You may want to call R motorworks and see if they have a dyno on it. I use dirks and he keeps records on all motors.

Lawson Ingold Racing
Sponsors: Mercedes Benz of Buckhead Performance Center, Sport Map ECU, Imhoff Eye Care; Altus Health Care; G-Force Racing
bucketparts
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »

my red plate rookie has three feature wins and nine top three finishes without ever hitting the 4000 rpm mark. SMOOTH IS FAST. The clock will tell you what is fast. Throw every gear combo you have at it. You will become a better mechanic and she will become a better driver.
RBurns17
Feature Winner

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:30:01 PM »

my red plate rookie has three feature wins and nine top three finishes without ever hitting the 4000 rpm mark. SMOOTH IS FAST. The clock will tell you what is fast. Throw every gear combo you have at it. You will become a better mechanic and she will become a better driver.

Do what now?
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: